Is Memphis the most equipped to beat Miami?

Real Deal

• Owner

I was thinking about this last night.

What are the two things Miami doesn't want teams to do?

1) Play through the post.

2) Defend Wade and LeBron well.

This is going to sound ridiculous to a few that don't want to hear it, or don't watch the Grizzlies (maybe more ridiculous if I had said this back in March), but I'm thinking the worst possible match-up for the Heat (meaning, not in their favor) would be the Memphis Grizzlies.

Gasol and Randolph...how do the Heat stop that duo up front? Haslem will more than likely struggle to contribute on either end of the court. Not taking jabs at Bosh, but come on...he can't defend as good as Duncan/McDyess or Ibaka/Perkins, and Zach could eat him alive. Nobody to defend Marc down low.

Aside from that, what two players would defend Wade and LeBron better than Tony Allen and Shane Battier? LeBron will be able to take Battier off the dribble, but as intelligent as Shane is, he'll lead James straight into help, and the Grizzlies have the tougher, defensive-minded Gasol brother. What one player would you stick on Dwyane Wade in a series? Probably Tony Allen.

Not to mention the fact that Mike Conley has the ability to torch Mike Bibby, and OJ Mayo would be the best bench player in the entire series.

I see Chicago doing well against them. OKC likes to run, and it'll turn into a free throw game. Boston is done. Dallas would have trouble getting shots off against a team that relies heavily on their perimeter defenders. Atlanta doesn't have a clear-cut player that can take over against Wade or James. Memphis? It seems like they have not only the puzzle pieces, but they had the damn thing glued together, framed, and hanging from their wall.

I stated all year I think Miami would represent the East in the NBA Finals. IMO, the playoffs always comes down to the focal point and star players. The rotations shorten up, and the bench's role plays very little into the games. Derrick Rose has been a perfect example of this. Not saying the bench means absolutely nothing, but I think ATL wins that series if Chicago doesn't have Rose. It's all about the stars in the Post Season. And Miami has 2...and a half. Bosh is kinda wack but he can go off sometimes so I'll give him a half of a star, lol. But, really, Wade and LeBron are so hard to guard in Post Season play, and they're going all out on defense.

Memphis - Miami would be a good matchup for sure but I still think Miami would take them in six. I think Joel Anthony would defend Randolph well, and I'm not sure if Memphis could handle Miami at the end of the game with the options of LeBron, Wade and Bosh down the stretch.

Not a ridiculous statement IMO.

Matchups are very important in the playoffs. The Grizzlies may not be the most talented team, but they are difficult to match up against. For any team.

It's part of the reason they were able to beat the Spurs, and a reason they are giving the Thunder such a hard time.

That said, 118 - 85 was the score the last time the Heat played the Grizzlies. The Heat won.

But the post season may be different. The only player I'm worried about is Tony Allen, since he has the right build to guard someone like Wade. Battier doesn't have the athleticism to be more than a slight challenge for LeBron.

Otherwise, to address the focal point of this thread, I don't see the tag team of Gasol and Randolph as too much of a challenge to overcome.

I think I good counter-attack is putting LeBron at the 4 and Magloire at the 5. Magloire can wrestle with Gasol, and LeBron has the strength to not let Z-Bo push him around easily, and the athleticism to meet him at the top.

Offensively, there is no way Zach can keep up with LeBron. Hollins may be forced to make a line up adjustment at this point. And if the Grizzlies are unable to use their best asset, that is where this potential series would end.

Also, while the Grizzlies aren't a bad candidate for "most equipped", I'd say the Thunder are a better option.

Not only does Thabo-Durant-Ibaka match up very well defensively with Wade-LeBron-Bosh, but Westbrook is not to be underestimated. Chalmers would have his hands full, and although he's a bit of a defensive pest, he's not THAT good of a defender.

I would love to see Memphis in the finals. Actually, Memphis and Atlanta would be great but I know that wont happen.

I think Dallas and the Grizz can both beat the Heat, though I also think the Bulls will be able to take them in 7 games as well.

Dallas shoots too many jumpers, OKC is erratic. Memphis probably would be their best bet, but even then I picture it being a brief series for Miami. With LA out, and Boston too, I don't see anyone really beating Miami. Really, this BOS-MIA series is basically the finals imho.

i still wanna see miami take care of chicago before i get all comfortable, yes chicago has been struggling against weaker teams, but they still have home court - heat have yet play a series without home court so we will see how that goes

They probably have the best matchup against us, but Wade and Lebron can't be defended throughout the entire game. Eventually, one of them breaks out, and even when all the attention is on them, Bosh might come through and our shooters have actually stepped up lately. The only one who cracks under pressure is Bosh, Wade and Lebron have been as good as advertised so far.

Not trying to make Wade and Lebron sound like gods, but every star player in the playoffs right now have come through for their team. Derrick Rose should be doing horrible because everyone knows he is the only reason the Bulls are winning games, but they still can't stop him.

I would love to see Memphis in the finals. Actually, Memphis and Atlanta would be great but I know that wont happen.

What makes that matchup so intriguing? I think the most exciting matchup probably would be OKC - Miami at this point....

I think OKC will win this series in the end though, so I don't think Memphis will ever get a shot at Miami.

I can't see Shane consistently lasting against LeBron an entire series. LBJ will eventually wear him out because he's just too much of a physical presence on both ends. Allen would have some success against Wade but you know Dwyane is going to get his. I think Bosh would have his best offensive series against Memphis though. He's doing alright against one of the best big men defenders in Garnett so the Bosh/Z-Bo matchup would be either a wash or a slight advantage to Memphis IMO. Gasol would give us some trouble though.

Like someone said above, I'm more concerned with making the finals before worrying about who we're playing. Next round is no easy task even if its ATL we draw instead of Chicago.

• Owner

He's doing alright against one of the best big men defenders in Garnett

That's not saying much with the KG playing in this current series, who seems to be lost and on his own little planet, but yes, a MEM/MIA series would give Bosh the green light.

They probably match up the best, Battier always did a terrific job on Lebron during his stint with the Rockets. Now he has Tony Allen and the rest of the Grizzlies starters, who are all decent defenders, to work with. However, I just don't think that they have enough firepower to beat them in a 7 game series. Miami would take it in 5 or 6 max.

The team with the best chance to beat the Heat in a series is currently down 1-3 to them.

Yes. I'd love to see the match up, the Grizzlies have the potential to put up a fight but I'm not sure if they have the will. To go this far though it seems like they do. Battier and Allen are two very very good defenders who I'm sure will be able to cause trouble for Wade and LeBron.