NBA Draft Lottery

AboveLegit

Never liked the idea of the draft lottery, even when we won last year, I'm just not a fan of this. Why do we have to determine the faith of teams by a lottery? Makes no sense, it's just stupid.

I don't mind the lottery, I just think it should be more like the NHL system where you can only move up so many spots (in the NHL it is 4 spots). That way the bottom teams will still likely get the top picks and it doesn't completely reward tanking with an automatic first overall pick.

Having a team move up from 7th or 8th like Chicago did with Rose is just stupid as far as I am concerned, though. I have no problems with a team winning the lottery in that situation, but they shouldn't jump all the way to 1st.

EDIT: My bad, it is actually 4 spots in the NHL lottery, not 3.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

I don't mind the lottery, I just think it should be more like the NHL system where you can only move up so many spots (in the NHL it is 4 spots). That way the bottom teams will still likely get the top picks and it doesn't completely reward tanking with an automatic first overall pick.

Having a team move up from 7th or 8th like Chicago did with Rose is just stupid as far as I am concerned, though. I have no problems with a team winning the lottery in that situation, but they shouldn't jump all the way to 1st.

EDIT: My bad, it is actually 4 spots in the NHL lottery, not 3.

Still not a fan to be honest. The NHL's method is much better, but I'm still not a proponent of leaving the future of teams up to pure luck. If you're the worst team in the league, it's only right to grant that team the first pick in the draft to help jumpstart their rebuilding process.

Still not a fan to be honest. The NHL's method is much better, but I'm still not a proponent of leaving the future of teams up to pure luck. If you're the worst team in the league, it's only right to grant that team the first pick in the draft to help jumpstart their rebuilding process.

The problem I have with that is do you honestly think that the Cavs and Wolves were the two worst teams in the league this season? I can maybe get on board with thinking that the Wolves were legitimately the worst team in the league, but there is no way in hell somebody can convince me that the Cavs were the 2nd worst team in the league this season. Their play this year was the most disgraceful form of tanking that I have happened to witness. There is no way in hell that team was bad enough to lose nearly 20 straight games and go something like 12-54 after the first month or so of the season.

If there was no lottery process at the end of the season, you would see teams like Cleveland go 0-82 throughout the year. I know it sounds crazy, and I'm not serious about them not winning a single game, but Dan Giblert would certainly have no problems doing something like that considering how badly they tanked this season and what they did in 03 for LeBron.

Seriously...Stern, if you hate conspiracy theorists, stop giving them fuel to the fire. How hard is it just to just make the Lotto selection live just to show there's no funny business going on.

Only reason to door it closed doors is because something IS going on back there. At least that's the perception.

Anyways, congrats to the Cavs. And to the Clips...HAHA. Anytime something bad happens to Sterling it makes me happy.

The problem I have with that is do you honestly think that the Cavs and Wolves were the two worst teams in the league this season? I can maybe get on board with thinking that the Wolves were legitimately the worst team in the league, but there is no way in hell somebody can convince me that the Cavs were the 2nd worst team in the league this season. Their play this year was the most disgraceful form of tanking that I have happened to witness. There is no way in hell that team was bad enough to lose nearly 20 straight games and go something like 12-54 after the first month or so of the season.

If there was no lottery process at the end of the season, you would see teams like Cleveland go 0-82 throughout the year. I know it sounds crazy, and I'm not serious about them not winning a single game, but Dan Giblert would certainly have no problems doing something like that considering how badly they tanked this season and what they did in 03 for LeBron.

But see, it's the same argument I have with the age limit. Just because a few great players successfully made the jump from H.S. to the NBA, doesn't mean we should allow every H.S. player to make the jump. Same logic applies to the draft. I'm against the idea of tanking, but you can't just institute something to prevent it from happening, and screw deserving teams out of picks they desperately need. We're talking about players coming into the league that can completely turn a team around.

Last five years...

Wolves

Nets

Kings

Heat (Wade injured that season)

Grizzlies

They were the worst teams in the league, and really, it's not even close.

Good for the Cavs, I'm happy for them. I don't get why so many people think Kyrie Irving is the consensus #1 pick, he's overrated imo. If I'm the Cavs I take Derrick Williams #1, and then think about taking Brandon Knight with the #4 pick.

He's not completely overrated, but some of these comparisons I'm reading are just ridiculous. Some people believe he's the next Chris Paul because he has a similar skillset. The only knock I have on him is that he's not particularly great at any one aspect of the game, he's just a well rounded player. John Wall, Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook had something in their arsenal that they could easily translate to the pro's, Kyrie doesn't. I'm not saying he won't pan out, but it may take him a little longer to adapt than other great PG's have in the past.

He's not completely overrated, but some of these comparisons I'm reading are just ridiculous. Some people believe he's the next Chris Paul because he has a similar skillset. The only knock I have on him is that he's not particularly great at any one aspect of the game, he's just a well rounded player. John Wall, Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook had something in their arsenal that they could easily translate to the pro's, Kyrie doesn't. I'm not saying he won't pan out, but it may take him a little longer to adapt than other great PG's have in the past.

I'm just not sold on a guy who played less than half the season. I remember reading something that compared him to Deron Williams, that is just ridiculous.

I'm just not sold on a guy who played less than half the season. I remember reading something that compared him to Deron Williams, that is just ridiculous.

He has the talent, that's not in question. Not sure if this comparison has been thrown around, but I look of him more as a Mo Williams type player (when he was in Milwaukee). 17-6-4 is right near his ceiling.

Especially with how weak this draft is, decent NBA talent will get overevaluated because there's not much you can compare them to. Irving has a long way to go before he can fully prove himself. He's definitely not in the same tier as John Wall or Derrick Rose.

He's athletic, a good playmaker, and has great scoring instincts and defensive potential, but I wouldn't bank on him reaching his full potential (or what's being advertised currently). I can definitely see him struggling like both Jonny Flynn and Mike Conley did out of the gates. Their games are similar, those two both were great in college, but extremely raw coming into the NBA (more so than Irving).

Gilbert still douchin'.

Cuz LeBron has totally been admirable during all of this.

I don't rip on Florida or Miami as a city so I don't get what you have against our city.

And why would they rig it for Cleveland? They went to such lengths to allow LeBron to shit on the city. We're also a small market, and folks like you have predetermined opinions on the city that casts a bad shadow.

Why don't you focus on your Heat and let us enjoy something.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

Who is "they"?

The NBA allowed for the collusion...they allowed him to have this "decision" garbage. David Stern then fined Dan Gilbert way too much money. But for LeBron, Stern said, "The performance was fine. His honesty and his integrity, I think, shined through. But this decision was ill-conceived." He destroyed and manipulated a franchise, and that's all Stern had to say?

The NBA allowed for the collusion...they allowed him to have this "decision" garbage. David Stern then fined Dan Gilbert way too much money. But for LeBron, Stern said, "The performance was fine. His honesty and his integrity, I think, shined through. But this decision was ill-conceived." He destroyed and manipulated a franchise, and that's all Stern had to say?

Stern also stated that he didn't like the way LBJ made his decision, so don't think it's a case of Cleveland against the world here..

And Gilbert deserved to get fined every penny, I mean seriously, who types in Comic Sans anyway?

• Like 2

I don't rip on Florida or Miami as a city so I don't get what you have against our city.

And why would they rig it for Cleveland? They went to such lengths to allow LeBron to shit on the city. We're also a small market, and folks like you have predetermined opinions on the city that casts a bad shadow.

Who said anything about Cleveland the city? I can hate their team just like people hate ours. The city of Cleveland is irrelevant to me in all of this.

Why wouldn't they rig it for Cleveland? After their star player left in free agency look at the season they had, now they get the top pick in the draft off of some retarded ass rule regarding a trade they made. Things happened way too perfectly for them to get this pick.

Conspiracy theories aside:

The Cavs had the first overall pick just 8 years ago and came out with one of the best small forwards in the history of the game, were perennial contenders, won multiple 60+ game season and made a finals appearance. And the first season they're back in the lottery, they win it all? How is it fair to the teams that have been the better part of the decade in the bottom half of the standings? Teams like Minnesota, Toronto, Sacramento, Charlotte etc deserved it more.

The system is broken.

• Owner

The only fans that should be angry are the Raptors fans. It sucks for them, dropping from the #2 slot (pre-lottery) to the #5. That means they miss out on Irving and Williams, and possibly Knight.

I have no idea why anyone else would be pissed, though. The Wolves will get Irving or Williams (and they should want Williams, because they need to get away from the PG spot now, especially with Rubio on deck). Utah is lucky to be in the top three. The Kings are lucky to have their team.

Aside from maybe 2-3 players that may have that all-star potential someday, there are a lot of players that could be decent role players. I may be a bit biased, but Marcus Morris could be good. Josh Selby is killing people in workouts already, and has moved up significantly in mock drafts in a matter of weeks. Who knows how Nolan Smith will do in the league...he's probably a projected late first. Same with Jimmer as a mid-first.

Looking into the second round, you have guys like Malcolm Lee, a player who has the physical tools to produce in the pros, just lacking the skillset that gives others reason that he'll be able to make that transition.

For the most part, this year's draft will give teams an opportunity to fill holes. The players in the draft can do that very well. I'm not ready to call someone like Derrick Williams a future superstar, or anyone in this draft for that matter...but it's not that bad of a class, really...it may all depend on where these guys end up, and what roles they are given on their respected teams.

• Owner

By the way, they don't show the ping pong balls being pulled because they reveal a combination of numbers that are checked against a database supplied for these teams. With the top team having 250 different combinations, and a total of 1,000 combos to check the results with, you're talking about a long process if they were doing it by hand.

Doing it by computer, though, is how it's done...and guess what? We wouldn't know if they were rigging it. They aren't going to list all 1,000 of those combinations, with the teams owning them, on the TV screen.

No point in showing it on TV.

• Like 2

For the most part, this year's draft will give teams an opportunity to fill holes. The players in the draft can do that very well. I'm not ready to call someone like Derrick Williams a future superstar, or anyone in this draft for that matter...but it's not that bad of a class, really...it may all depend on where these guys end up, and what roles they are given on their respected teams.

But, that's what I think is apart of the problem. There are too many guys that you can look at and say "Oh he will be good if he gets drafted to the right team" rather than definite players that can impact any team they're on.

And let's be honest, this draft is no where near last year's in terms of overall depth and quality of talent. The players projected to go in the top 20 or so are the only one's that actually interest me, the rest is a crap shoot as far as I'm concerned.

Wolves general manager David Kahn said he knew Minnesota was "dead" when it got down to the final three of himself, Utah executive Kevin O'Connor and Nick Gilbert.

"This league has a habit, and I am just going to say habit, of producing some pretty incredible story lines," Kahn said. "Last year it was Abe Pollin's widow and this year it was a 14-year-old boy and the only thing we have in common is we have both been bar mitzvahed. We were done. I told Kevin: 'We're toast.' This is not happening for us and I was right."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/nba/05/17/nba.lottery.ap/index.html#ixzz1Mff3YDUm

Never thought I would say this, but I actually agree with David Kahn.

Call me bitter or whatever you want, but it is just way too convinent that the Cavs move up with the Clippers pick, which has a 2.8% chance of getting the first pick, instead of their own which just so happens to give them two picks in the top 4.

If the Cavs moved up with their own pick I wouldn't be skeptical at all, but this played out way too nicely for the Cavs.