Is Lionel Messi the best athlete in the world?

Dash

So why wouldn't the title say most dominant athlete?

because best athlete and most dominant athlete are basically the same thing. it doesn't say most athletic person. if you had read the OP you wouldn't have been confused anyway

Cheetahs run faster than Usain Bolt, i'd like to see you find an animal that is a better footballer than Messi.

Do cheetahs also transfer the baton better?!! I'd like to see you find an animal that is a better 4x100m relay sprinter than the ThunderBolt.

Racism still surprises me sometimes. <_<

Edited by Shalïq

Do cheetahs also transfer the baton better?!! I'd like to see you find an animal that is a better 4x100m relay sprinter than the ThunderBolt.

Racism still surprises me sometimes. <_<

Racism? Where'd that come from lol.

I don't think Usain Bolt should even be considered the best athlete in the world because what he does takes absolutely no skill. You can't improve how fast you run, your speed is just natural. While in basketball, soccer, tennis you have to take your abilities and use them the best you can.

Edited by Yugocide

Racism? Where'd that come from lol.

I don't think Usain Bolt should even be considered the best athlete in the world because what he does takes absolutely no skill. You can't improve how fast you run, your speed is just natural. While in basketball, soccer, tennis you have to take your abilities and use them the best you can.

To me that translates as: ''I don't think Usain Bolt should even be considered the best athlete in the world because I CAN'T AND WON'T EVER POSSIBLY BE ABLE TO RUN HALF AS FAST AS HIM'. :D

The original post was that Messi is better at his sport than anyone else is at anything. Messi has won over 15 championships/tournament/gold medals and over 55 awards in soccer. On top of that he's 24! For people who don't watch soccer the world cup is like the world baseball classic where people from there real teams join there countries teams, club soccer is the real thing they play 10 months out of the year. Messi plays for Barcelona and has already won everything he can win as a player minus the world cup. He's so dominate that the closest player is ronaldo who is like 5-10 goals behind him each season but no where near in assists. And Messi is the only player that is ALWAYS covered by at least 4 defenders at a time. He is that dominate in soccer.

Edited by Merodach
  • Like 2

To me that translates as: ''I don't think Usain Bolt should even be considered the best athlete in the world because I CAN'T AND WON'T EVER POSSIBLY BE ABLE TO RUN HALF AS FAST AS HIM'. :D

I am not one to envy other people, that is a women's feeling.

The original post was that Messi is better at his sport than anyone else is at anything. Messi has won over 15 championships/tournament/gold medals and over 55 awards in soccer. On top of that he's 24! For people who don't watch soccer the world cup is like the world baseball classic where people from there real teams join there countries teams, club soccer is the real thing they play 10 months out of the year. Messi plays for Barcelona and has already won everything he can win as a player minus the world cup. He's so dominate that the closest player is ronaldo who is like 5-10 goals behind him each season but no where near in assists. And Messi is the only player that is ALWAYS covered by at least 4 defenders at a time. He is that dominate in soccer.

Ronaldo had 40 goals this season and Messi had 31.

I think he is just because he's the best player in the most popular sport, which is what matters. Popularity.

Just to give an example, Rafa Nadal had one of the best seasons ever for an individual player in tennis last year, and despite the fact that he was considered great, nobody was praising him as "the best athlete on the world". Something very similar is happening with Djokovic right now, although we still have to see how the rest of the season goes.

Also, saying that Ronaldo is better than Messi is ridiculous. Messi has won ALL the competitions you can win as a football club, scored in almost all of them, leading scorer in the CL this year, almost always scores in important games... Don't come up with the "he doesn't win with Argentina" because Cristiano doesn't either. Anyone who has seen the Barcelona games this season or the last couple of seasons knows that he's a a whole different level, and that he's capabable of pretty much anything, despite his phisical disadvantage against other players, and specially, other defenders.

:D LOL! I'm not even Brazilian - I'm just f***in' Brazilian chicks while here! http://www.myemoticons.com/images/hobbies-leisure/beach/sandy-beach.gif

Once you penetrate a woman, you inherit a little bit of their nationality.. you have a little Brazilian inside of you =)

I think it's still pretty close between Messi and Ronaldo, but after Messi's performance in the champions league final I think he has the edge for the best player in the world - and that's coming from a Man Utd fan that's always liked Ronaldo. Each player offers you something different - with Ronaldo you get a player with unbelievable speed and strength for his size, has great skill and is a threat from distance as well as in the air, making him lethal from pretty much any kind of situation. Messi on the other hand is more of a finesse type player, but the way he dribbles and controls the ball is just unbelievable, and puts so much pressure on the opposing team's defense. I've always favored Ronaldo just because I think he's the more versatile player, and he's proved he can play in the most physical league in the world (prem league) where as Messi has only performed in the La Liga, which isn't the same physical test that the premier league is.

However it's tough to say whether he's the best athlete in the world.........it really comes down what your definition of athleticism is, which is a tough thing to pin point because it can vary even within a single sport - like basketball for example.

Once you penetrate a woman, you inherit a little bit of their nationality.. you have a little Brazilian inside of you =)

Shalíq knows how to protect himself:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_GPF3tK8Y0y8/TUy_GHOpkyI/AAAAAAAAAzM/YcSIxFZcLBQ/s320/campanha_aids-parangole.jpg

http://www.revistapronews.com.br/imagens/materias/126418063500641.jpg