Warriors hire Mark Jackson as head coach

STEIN_LINE_HQ

Warriors just announced that ESPN/ABC colleague Mark Jackson has been announced as their new head coach

Ripped this from RealGM, I'm sure the link is up somewhere. Anyway, glad to see him finally get a head coaching gig, although with no prior experience as an assistant I'm a bit skeptical.

Ripped this from RealGM, I'm sure the link is up somewhere. Anyway, glad to see him finally get a head coaching gig, although with no prior experience as an assistant I'm a bit skeptical.

Exactly idk about this hiring, a bit skeptical myself.

Love this hire! He's got a great point guard mentality and with Stephen Curry running that team (once they trade Monta Ellis), and that team improves automatically. Jackson will run a set offense, so there won't be any of this run around and jack up shots offense anymore. Sorry to Keith Smart, but he just didn't know how to run his team. I fully expect the addition of Mark Jackson to help turn this Warriors team around right away. Great hire.

He has an extremely rigid, simplistic view of the game. I don't think he'll get much out of Golden State. I expect him to run a lot of floppy action (essentially double curls), since it's the only coaching lingo he ever uses during his telecasts.

On the plus side, he's off the TV! Jeff Van Gundy might get a real partner! Or Shaq...which would be great too!

I also think that the hire was contingent on all the candidates being in the room and answering one simple question. When the owners asked the lot who wants to be the head coach, they all thought it was a joke, except for Jackson who raised his hand. The owners decided he was the only one who wanted the job and gave it to him. When the other candidates responded in outrage over the process, Jackson turned to them and said, "it's like I always say. HAND DOWN, MAN DOWN!"

• Like 1

Expect to hear a lot of "Steph Curry is a knockdown shooter."

"On defense, you need to crowd his airspace."

"The operation was a success, but the patient died."

"Somebody needs to go out there and make a play."

"Monta Ellis with a grown-man's move"

"David Lee has an appointment with the rim."

And of course,

"Mama, there goes that man!"

• Like 3

Are you guys really this skeptical about the hire?

Lol. Yes. Mark Jackson is pretty much a clown.

He played no defense when he played. One of the most overrated players of all time.

Lets be honest, pretty much everyone sounds good as an announcer. It's the job to be. That's what you've seen Hubie Brown, IMO, probably the greatest basketball announcer of all time, at least since I started watching basketball, sit behind the mic instead of on the bench for like 40 years.

Lol really? I loved him as a commentator. I never knew he was clowned on his much, haha.

He's OK as a commentator. But I don't believe he'll make a good coach.

Wow @ the idiots who are happy to have him off TV, his commentating is amazing...who cares about in depth analysis or any other bull shit, just entertain me or I mute you. The trio of Knicks broadcasting does that for me (Breen-JVG-Jackson)

This is a disaster in the making. Bold move to hire a guy with zero coaching experience.

I think this is one of many bold moves coming for this franchise. I think Jerry West and the rest of the ownership wants to turn this franchise around completely and change the culture of the team. Monta could very well be on his way out, as they look to make Steph Curry the clear cut cornerstone of this franchise (as he should be). In that regard, it makes sense to hire a guy like Mark who was a good PG in his day.

What confuses me though is that the front office wanted to bring in a more defensive minded coach, and Jackson is far from it. I view him more as a motivator and players coach such as Doc Rivers. It seems like they made this hiring simply because it was cheap.