ESPN: Warriors in talks of trading Ellis for Iguodala

The Golden State Warriors and Philadelphia 76ers have discussed a trade that would send the Warriors' leading scorer, Monta Ellis, to the 76ers for Andre Iguodala, according to league sources, including one with direct knowledge of Golden State's thinking.

One source stressed that completion of the deal is not imminent but that it has merits for both sides.

Ellis is owed $11 million for each of the next three seasons. Iguodala makes $13.5 million next season and the contract increases by $1.2 million each of the next two years.

Their current salaries are close enough that the swap could be made without any other additional considerations and meet league salary-cap rules.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6633355

Love it for GSW, not sure if I like it for Philly. Warriors get some much needed help on defense, and eliminates that undersized backcourt they've been running since drafting Curry.

As for Philly, many of their fans hate the way Lou Williams plays off the bench, imagine what happens when they bring in virtually the same player. I'm sure it would be nice to bring Evan Turner into the starting lineup, I love his potential and believe he's going to have a breakout season in 2012, but they gotta look elsewhere if they plan on trading Andre.

But I guess anything is better than the Hedo for Iguodala rumor that was going around earlier..

As for Philly, many of their fans hate the way Lou Williams plays off the bench, imagine what happens when they bring in virtually the same player.

Monta Ellis and Lou Williams are not the same player. That's like saying LeBron James is virtually the same player as Corey Maggette.

Edited by IllWill21

• Owner

There's a big difference between Williams and Ellis. I'm pretty sure Monta is far more efficient, and that's even with him carrying a bigger offensive role on a worse team. I'm also not a big fan of Williams' defense, and while Ellis gambles quite a bit, he has had stretches where he can make life hell for the opposition (he did a good job on Kobe one game, sort of surprised me).

Iggy showed signs of good team play near the end of the season, where he started throwing assists and doing everything, but he couldn't score worth a damn in the playoffs, and it killed Philly. LeBron is a big muscle, but so is Iggy, yet it was Iguodala that looked like Steve Blake against LBJ.

I like Curry/Iggy in Oakland. Interesting duo.

I realize Monta is better than Lou, but their playing styles and build are quite similar.

And I don't like the idea of a Jrue/Monta backcourt, it's just too small.. if it didn't work with Curry/Monta, why would it work now? Integrating him into this team will be a lot tougher than it looks, while they could definitely use his scoring, they will deeply miss Iggy on defense.

I thought the whole idea behind Iggy being traded away was to give more freedom to Turner in the offense.. He needs the ball in order to be effective, bringing in a 20 FGA per game player won't help.

Bad trade, Iggy should only go to Houston.

But on a bit of a serious note it is a bad trade imo for the Warrios. I think if they are going to trade Ellis trade in in a package involving their crap 9 million dollar center. That way you get a position upgrade at C, and you get rid of a couple of huge contracts. Its not like the Warriors cant find a guy to take the spot of Ellis at SG.

Edited by ChosenOne

I'm with AL, I don't get why the Sixers would do this.

Monta Ellis is a great talent but he is most effective with the ball in his hands. I don't think he meshes well with Jrue and Williams. Plus small backcourts are rarely successful. Granted Holiday is an excellent defender, but I'm not sure how well he'll do having to match up with bigger stronger guards.

For Monta to be successful, he needs to go to a veteran team where they won't put up with him just chucking shots and with a coach that'll rein him in. The Spurs would be good, Pop actually got Glenn Robinson to play both ends of the floor so he can work some magic with Ellis.

Lol, I just wrote a fairly long post on why I don't like this then lost it by mistake........shiiiiiieeeeeeet.

Anyway...

TL;DR - NO TO MONTA

Don't like his game at all, statistically every player on his team performs better when he is on the bench. He's a legit scorer, but he's also a ball stopper with limited ball handling ability and vision.

Takes the ball away from Jrue/Turner and forces Evan to at a tougher position - stunts their development individually and as a backcourt.

Sacrifices our strengths (defense) for a boost in offense, which is a lateral move at the very best because defense is what wins games.

We need a center more than we need a scorer, and this uses up our most trade-able asset (that the franchise is willing to part with).

There's a big difference between Williams and Ellis. I'm pretty sure Monta is far more efficient, and that's even with him carrying a bigger offensive role on a worse team. I'm also not a big fan of Williams' defense, and while Ellis gambles quite a bit, he has had stretches where he can make life hell for the opposition (he did a good job on Kobe one game, sort of surprised me).

Iggy showed signs of good team play near the end of the season, where he started throwing assists and doing everything, but he couldn't score worth a damn in the playoffs, and it killed Philly. LeBron is a big muscle, but so is Iggy, yet it was Iguodala that looked like Steve Blake against LBJ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DVAsmrwdtQ

I'm pretty sure Monta is far more efficient, and that's even with him carrying a bigger offensive role on a worse team.

Ellis is more efficient from the field, but Williams actually has a better TS%.

Anyway, I don't like this trade for Philly. As someone mentioned, small backcourts simply don't work so well, and they'd be losing a lot of what got them to the playoffs this year...defense. Besides, I don't think Ellis is a great player for young teams. He doesn't make his teammates better, is a chucker and doesn't have much more upside than what we've already seen. Mix that in with the issue of his size, and he's a much better fit on an established playoff team as a Jamal Crawford type 6th man.

In my opinion it's a great deal for both teams. Philly gets rid of Iggy, who is a great player, but is crowding Evan Turner. Also, the Warriors are able to give Monta Ellis away for a great price. Many people are expecting them to settle for him, but they let Stephen Curry run the team, and bring in another guy who can hit big shots and play defense. Should be a good trade for both teams if it happens.

The Trail Blazers, Lakers, Hawks, Bulls, and 76ers are among the teams expressing the most sincere interest, league sources said Thursday. A possible deal between Golden State and Philadelphia involving Ellis and Andre Iguodala is a “50-50” proposition at the moment, a person with knowledge of those talks said.

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/29914237