Sixers, Clippers Discussing Iguodala for Kaman Swap?

Amid increasing signals that the Philadelphia 76ers are finally prepared to deal Andre Iguodala after years of trade speculation, another potential swap has surfaced that would send the swingman to the Los Angeles Clippers for center Chris Kaman, sources with knowledge of the discussions told ESPN.com.

Although it's believed that the trade has not yet advanced past the discussion phase, sources told ESPN.com that the Sixers and Clippers have discussed an Iguodala-for-Kaman swap.

The Clippers have long maintained that the only scenario that would convince them to part with Kaman -- whose career has been plagued by injuries but who had an All-Star season in 2010 -- is getting an elite small forward in return.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6641932

Love the deal for the Clippers, not exactly sure about it for the Sixers. Kaman is a better fit than Ellis would be, but Ellis is much more talented. Getting Kaman rounds out their roster very nicely, though, especially if they manage to re-sign Thad Young this summer.

• Owner

Kaman knocks $12.2 million off the books after next season. If you add an unconditional 2012 first-rounder, Philly does this deal.

I think the Sixers can do better, though, because that first-rounder is more than likely going to be a mid-first, and while Kaman was an all-star center just two seasons ago, those injuries are killing his game, and I just don't see the Sixers taking him for his production...but rather that money off the payroll, and when you look at it that way, who are they after? I doubt Dwight Howard would be interested. CP3 is dead set on New York. Free agents love big market teams these days.

Interesting, to say the least.

I like the trade for both teams. Iggy has no future with the Sixers and in some ways has worn out his welcome. On the Clippers he'd be an awesome fit; he'd have a lot of offensive talent around him to where he can be a 2nd/3rd option and can handle some of the playmaking duties, while locking down other team's wing players. It also opens up a lot of minutes for DeAndre Jordan to continue to develop and reach his potential. For the Sixers, they get a big salary dump, open up minutes for Turner, and could potentially improve with a borderline top 5 center when healthy (which would just be a bonus as that's not really the focus of this trade).

This is the only Iguodala rumor I've heard that I like to any degree, for the record. Anybody expecting a significant haul for him can pretty much forget it. It isn't going to happen. If the idea is to move his contract (and assure we have a ton of cap space for the summer of 2013) and open up some space for Turner to develop, this trade really wouldn't be the worst thing.

But at this point, I'd probably just keep him.

Edited by Phightins

Thorn isn't gonna give away Iggy for a mere salary dump, though. Sixers would be foolish to take this deal unless the Clippers sweeten it.

Actually, this deal has been discussed before. At least seasons trade deadline, these two teams were talking about the same, straight up swap of Kaman for Iguodala. The Sixers have made it clear that they want to move Iggy, so that's going to decrease the value of the offers. That being said, this deal as a straight up deal, really might not be so bad. Philly needs a center, and Kaman, when healthy is very good. Granted, it's probably not as much as they could have gotten for Iguodala a couple years ago, but it fills a major need for them now. For the Clippers it's obvious. You bring in a guy like Iggy and you're a contender out West. Interesting trade, and it is being discussed I can promise you that, but should be fun to see if the talks go anywhere.

and that opinion is based on what exactly? I'm guessing not much.

Anyway don't like the trade, but we're obviously just gauging what the market is for Iguodala. It's pretty clear that we'd need something more like it says in one of the articles. I wouldn't be completely against a Kaman + Aminu for Dre, and would prefer that over the Monta deal.

Looks like discussions didn't go very far.

Sam Amick

Source close to Sixers-Clippers trade talks says of Iguodala-Kaman: "Don't waste your time," when asked how seriously it should be taken.

But Iggy is apparently on the market.

sam_amick Sam Amick

As noted in the ESPN story, possible sale of Sixers complicates it too.

16 hours ago

sam_amick Sam Amick

@Stein_Line_HQ had that story. Philly clearly aggressively shopping Iggy.

Edited by Dash

decent player.

I am not arguing this. He is decent. Maybe a 3rd option on a winning team who'll give you solid defense. But he isn't a stud, and he shouldn't command a great amount in a trade (especially with that contract). I think the league realizes this, but the fans don't. It's why he's still in Philly.

I honestly think he's one of the most overrated players in the game right now. To answer "how I know this", I'm a Knicks fan (lots of games against each other) and I live in Philly (Sixers on TV every night).

But again, it's just my opinion. If you feel differently, that's fine.. we just view him in different lights.

• 2 weeks later...
The Sixers are another team to watch. As ESPN's own Chris Broussard has reported, Andre Iguodala is available and the Sixers are looking for size in return. Chris Kaman could be an option. But getting up into the top five in the draft could do it as well if the Sixers are okay moving forward at a slower pace. Is Doug Collins willing to risk sliding a bit to shore up the team for the future?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog?name=nba_draft&id=6672205&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba%2fblog%3fname%3dnba_draft%26id%3d6672205