2011 FIFA Women's World Cup

Cobb

^He's right, there's no other way to break up a draw, but I do think it's a shame when the better team looses on penalty kicks.

the argument that the US was a better team is flawed. every time the US scored, Japan had an answer. if the US was so much better, they wouldn't have missed all of those great opportunities at the beginning of the game. the Japanese style is to not play a flashy game, but to stay in it and take advantage of mistakes made by the opponent. the US made huge mistakes, and its hard to say they deserve to win or are better with some of the stupid shit they did.

Golden goal is so much less intense than PKs

Edited by Rainbow Dash
  • Like 1

the argument that the US was a better team is flawed. every time the US scored, Japan had an answer. if the US was so much better, they wouldn't have missed all of those great opportunities at the beginning of the game. the Japanese style is to not play a flashy game, but to stay in it and take advantage of mistakes made by the opponent. the US made huge mistakes, and its hard to say they deserve to win or are better with some of the stupid shit they did.

Golden goal is so much less intense than PKs

I never said the US was the better team, I made a general statement

ECN, what do you propose besides penalty kicks? It's the equivalent of a 3 OT hockey game, and knowing soccer, it's much more difficult to score in soccer then hockey. Penalty kicks are exciting and absolutely relevant to decide a game.

I'm sorry, but 120 minutes of soccer is in no way, shape, or form, the equivalent of a 3 O.T. hockey game. Soccer players are generally moving around most of the game, but not all of them are sprinting at one time. There's a lot of midfield play where you do not exert nearly the same amount of energy as you would in a hockey game. I think that they should allow for more substitutions, which could certainly help out in a long game.

I just think it's a shame (has nothing to do with the U.S. today) that a World Cup game is settled on PK's, which are a one on one with a goalie, when the rest of the 120+ minute game is played 11 on 11. That's what my problem is. It's just one of many weird things soccer does with its rules.

So, let me ask you this then. Since you are for PK's, and just said that "It's the equivalent of a 3 OT hockey game", and also proceeded to say " Penalty kicks are exciting and absolutely relevant to decide a game", what if an NHL Stanley Cup game 7 (equivalent of the importance of a World Cup Finals game) went to 4 O.T.'s? At that point, in your own words, the game has surpassed the 3 O.T's in hockey, which are apparently equivalent of an overtime soccer game (which is not true), and you're in support of a soccer game going to PK's after O.T. So, going based on everything you just said, there is no other conclusion to come to besides you being in favor of having the potential of shootouts in the NHL playoffs. You can explain yourself further, but that is the only conclusion that can be made based upon your posts.

Edited by EastCoastNiner

Pretty mad that we lost. That first equalizer was just absolutely foolish, you play a ball on the ground in front of the net? That's a no-no, in almost any sport. You NEVER play a ball in front of the goalie.

That said, I agree with ECN. I HATE when games end via a glorified skills competition, just like shootouts in the NHL.

At the end of the day, it has nothing to do with the U.S. losing, but rather settling a game 1 on 1 after battling for 120+ minutes 11 on 11. I'd much rather see tired ass players score a goal in O.T. then in PK's. I just think it's a shame games have to end like that.

I have to agree. PKs are the least awarding method in any sport of crowning a winning team after regulation time is done.