2011 FIFA Women's World Cup

Cobb

Would it be acceptable to play for 8 hours in a row because no one can score?

How would you feel if the Bruins beat the Canucks in a shootout in overtime in game 7? Let's decide a very meaningful game in a situation that barely happens during regular game play. At that point, it's not even soccer. Don't give me the endurance garbage either because that won't fly.

Edited by EastCoastNiner

I was rooting for USA, but I hate seeing people on Twitter saying "Congrats to Japan, but USA is clearly the better team.." How? Japan clearly is more fundamentally sound and more skilled, USA relied heavily on their athleticism.

How would you feel if the Bruins beat the Canucks in a shootout in overtime in game 7? Let's decide a very meaningful game in a situation that barely happens during regular game play. At that point, it's not even soccer. Don't give me the endurance garbage either because that won't fly.

hockey players get constant subs, 20 minute breaks after each period, etc. so endurance is a big factor, saying that its garbage won't fly. Penalty kicks deciding a championship game is as much bullshit as sudden death overtime deciding a sport(particularly NFL football). At least PKs give each team an equal opportunity to score.

• Like 1

hockey players get constant subs, 20 minute breaks after each period, etc. so endurance is a big factor, saying that its garbage won't fly. Penalty kicks deciding a championship game is as much bullshit as sudden death overtime deciding a sport(particularly NFL football). At least PKs give each team an equal opportunity to score.

You made very little sense here. Hockey players have 45+ second shifts skating hard and endure physical contact. Soccer players, although on the field for a longer period of play, do not exert the same amount of energy that a hockey player will throughout a game. They aren't running the entire game. There's periods of the game where the ball is at one end, and you are just walking around. That is just as much of a "resting period" as you get in hockey.

The most ridiculous part of what you said was that sudden death overtime is as much bull-shit as penalty kicks? How is that? You play 11 on 11 the entire game, and now you're going to decide the game 1 on 1? That makes no sense at all, and is completely foolish.

How about we settle NFL playoff overtime games with a Field Goal contest? It's the same concept. It's ridiculous to decide a hard fought game played 11 on 11 by going to a gimmick with a 1 on 1 PK with a goalie.

And, talking about endurance, hockey players rank at the top of the list for Vo2 test.

Edited by EastCoastNiner

You made very little sense here. Hockey players have 45+ second shifts skating hard and endure physical contact. Soccer players, although on the field for a longer period of play, do not exert the same amount of energy that a hockey player will throughout a game. They aren't running the entire game. There's periods of the game where the ball is at one end, and you are just walking around. That is just as much of a "resting period" as you get in hockey.

The most ridiculous part of what you said was that sudden death overtime is as much bull-shit as penalty kicks? How is that? You play 11 on 11 the entire game, and now you're going to decide the game 1 on 1? That makes no sense at all, and is completely foolish.

How about we settle NFL playoff overtime games with a Field Goal contest? It's the same concept. It's ridiculous to decide a hard fought game played 11 on 11 by going to a gimmick with a 1 on 1 PK with a goalie.

And, talking about endurance, hockey players rank at the top of the list for Vo2 test.

I think he was talking about how in the Super Bowl, it can be tied the entire game and then be won on the first possession, without giving the other team a chance.

I think he was talking about how in the Super Bowl, it can be tied the entire game and then be won on the first possession, without giving the other team a chance.

He said "a sport" and then put the NFL in parentheses, and said particularly the NFL. All I'm saying is that a game that is played 11 on 11 should not be decided in a 1 on 1 gimmick.

Watched the game but was disappointed by the USA as they had all the chances in the world to finish this game in the first 90 minutes but they just couldn't get it done. Good for Japan, they needed something to be happy about especially after all the shit they have gone through this last year.

I was rooting for USA, but I hate seeing people on Twitter saying "Congrats to Japan, but USA is clearly the better team.." How? Japan clearly is more fundamentally sound and more skilled, USA relied heavily on their athleticism.

Well we were the better team. We had constant possession and a crap load of shots compared to Japan. Japan's two goal came off a bad clearance and a deflection from a corner, no excuse to allow those goals, but that's how they had to get the goals. Not taking away anything from Japan, but we man handled them and they capitalized on their few chances to score. We really screwed it up on the PK's....going 0-3 is pretty much impossible to come back from. Thats soccer though, its all about getting things done when it matters, and we didn't do that.

• Like 1

Well we were the better team. We had constant possession and a crap load of shots compared to Japan. Japan's two goal came off a bad clearance and a deflection from a corner, no excuse to allow those goals, but that's how they had to get the goals. Not taking away anything from Japan, but we man handled them and they capitalized on their few chances to score. We really screwed it up on the PK's....going 0-3 is pretty much impossible to come back from. Thats soccer though, its all about getting things done when it matters, and we didn't do that.

I somewhat agree with this, there's no doubt USA could have won this fairly easily had they capitalized on their opportunities, but I'm looking at this from an overall quality standpoint. I think teams like France, Germany, and Brazil played better than the USA throughout the duration of the tournament, as they put more emphasis on ball movement and filling in spaces while the USA used a different approach by using their length and athleticism to generate plays.

So frustrated that the US lost. I thought for sure we were going to win once Alex Morgan scored in the 69th minute. Then, when the game went into extra time and Wambach scored on the routine header thought the same thing. Then, once the US missed the first penalty I pretty much knew it was over.

Congratulations to Japan, but no shame in defeat for the USA who were the better team.

It could end on the first goal of overtime, but that kind of sucks for the other team. PK's is fair. Its also pretty exciting to watch, knowing it all comes down to that.