MarShon Scores 48 in Nike Pro-City Tournament Debut

Teletopez

If this is what a rusty and cramping MarShon Brooks can produce, the Nets got themselves a dynamic offensive player with a star personality.

Of course, you have to consider the level of competition – and last night at the Nike Pro-City tournament it waslmostly below NBA level. Still, you also have to consider that Brooks, the Nets’ first-round pick last month, hadn’t played in weeks and was stepping on an unfamiliar court with an unfamiliar team.

That he took over immediately is a testament to his confidence. It only took two possessions for his teammates to realize who should command the ball. Brooks missed his first couple shots but kept on firing, finishing with 48 points on 17-of-32 from the field with six 3-pointers. His final line also included: five rebounds, five fouls, one assist, five turnovers, one block, 6-of-12 from 3-point and 8-of-9 from the foul line.

Battling a calf cramp that started early in the second half, Brooks won over the Manhattan crowd with his swag, skill and determination.They gave him the first and last ovation of the evening, as he outscored notable opponents Jamario Moon (25 points) and John Lucas III (28).

Stefan Bondy

• Owner

If Moon and Lucas are scoring 25-30, I can't say I'm too impressed. I just hope that, for the Nets' sake, Brooks doesn't come in wanting the ball every possession. The main focus is Deron Williams, specifically keeping him happy. Deron eats first, Lopez second. If Brooks comes in with a selfish mindset, Avery will need to sit him down and let him know how things work.

If Moon and Lucas are scoring 25-30, I can't say I'm too impressed. I just hope that, for the Nets' sake, Brooks doesn't come in wanting the ball every possession. The main focus is Deron Williams, specifically keeping him happy. Deron eats first, Lopez second. If Brooks comes in with a selfish mindset, Avery will need to sit him down and let him know how things work.

Supposedly, Brooks dropped in the draft because teams were worried about his attitude. The Nets have drafted and dealt with PLENTY of troublemakers. I hope Brooks doesn't turn out the same, and I certainly don't expect it from him. He's been vocally excited about playing alongside Deron and for the Nets.

The adjustment to a slightly different role should be interesting. There was little defense in the game last night, but if there's one thing we know about Brooks, it's that he does an incredible job creating his own shot. He doesn't have to entirely abandon that with the Nets, so I guess we'll see how the transition goes. I wonder if Brooks and Morrow cover our needs at the starting 2 and sixth man.

Supposedly, Brooks dropped in the draft because teams were worried about his attitude. The Nets have drafted and dealt with PLENTY of troublemakers.

We haven't dealt with them very well though. Example: Terrence Williams, Sean Williams

Regardless, we need this type of aggressive player who isn't afraid to miss. We had way too many indecisive possessions last year; he should help with that.

We haven't dealt with them very well though. Example: Terrence Williams, Sean Williams

Sean Williams repeatedly got into trouble. Not sure what else we could've done. There was the incident at the cell phone store, the problems he caused in the D-League, and on the court, he stacked up fouls in no time.

The T-Will situation was a result of Avery's no-nonsense policy, which may be necessary with such a young team.

Ballhog much? I would be pissed if I was playing alongside Brooks, he's straight up just out to get his.

If you're referring to Providence, he had to take over. There was little organization, and he ended up having to cover multiple roles. As for last night, people came to watch Brooks vs. Moon. And in any case, if your teammate is shooting that well, you're going to feed him the ball and let him knock down shots.

I'm sure I could score 48+ playing against middle school level ball players too.

No, in all honesty though, that is impressive but I'm going to wait to see what he does in the NBA before I make any judgments on the kid. He should still be exciting to watch play though.

Yeah he's going to struggle to begin his career, but NJ fans are excited about drafting him for a reason, he can create his own shot. He reminds me so much of Nick Young, and I expect him to develop similar to Nick did (although he has more freedom than Nick did when he first entered the league). He's going to need to work on efficiency and shot selection, but if the Nets use him properly in the offense, he should excel. Flip Saunders has done a great job minimizing Nick's weaknesses (passing and playmaking), and maximizing his strengths (spot up shooting, and shooting off screens).

• 2 weeks later...