Cavs Can't Sign Two Major Free-Agents In 2010

The Cavaliers once thought that they would be able to sign another major free agent in addition to LeBron James next summer, but that is no longer the case.

The NBA's salary cap will be $58 million for the 2009-10 season, and the league office has warned teams that the cap could drop to as much as $8 million next year.

Cleveland signed Anderson Varejao, Jamario Moon and Anthony Parker this summer, effectively using up their cap space.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60948/20090803/cavs_cant_sign_two_major_free_agents_in_2010/

We don't need two stars. We'll resin LeBron and get a minor FA to help.

We have Shaq, Z, Mo, Delonte, Andy, Gibson, Parker, Moon, and then some guaranteed for the next two years.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

I do think you guys need one more big name player, I'm not sold on Shaq yet but we will see.

Edited by Ya Dig!

won't shaq's contract free up enough space for another star player?

No it won't. Even with Shaq's $20M coming off of the books next season, the Cavs will have a payroll of around $48.8M in 2010/2011 and if the cap drops like expected to, that only leaves them with something in the range of $3-6M in cap room. The Cavs have the third highest payroll in the NBA as of right now (at something like $79M) and the only two players that are expiring are Shaq and Z and even with their combined $31ish million in expiring contracts, it only brings them to just under the cap.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

wtf i would have never imagined that the cavs had the third highest payroll in the league. lebron isn't even getting max money yet is he? wow for a team spending that much, the personnel just seems awful. im not really for the idea of the rich teams being able to sign whomever they want cough, gasol, odom, artest,kobe, cough, but the cavs just look really stupid if they are the third highest in the league and they only have lebron on their team lol.

^^Shaq making 20 mill is kind of a contribution to the payroll don't you think? lol

Also, they won't be 3rd highest payroll for the season because the $$$ of deals with MArion, Turk and others have not been said yet, so some teams still have to count with those 10-15 mill contracts.

^^Shaq making 20 mill is kind of a contribution to the payroll don't you think? lol

Also, they won't be 3rd highest payroll for the season because the $$$ of deals with MArion, Turk and others have not been said yet, so some teams still have to count with those 10-15 mill contracts.

Even with Turkoglu's contract the Raptors won't be close to the $79M payroll that the Celtics have. Turkoglu's contract is going to be something like $12M per if I am not mistaken, and that only brings the Raptors payroll to $64M and then add around $2M for Rasho's contract and that puts the Raptors at $66M with their roster pretty much set in stone. The Cavs would still have about $15M more on their payroll than the Raptors will. Even with the salarys of Turkoglu and Rasho not being listed, the Raptors are still under the luxury tax threshold and will have around the 14th highest payroll.

You are right about Dallas though as Marion will probably make around $10M per if I recall correctly, and that will put them at around $80M and Kidd got what, $9M per? That would bring them to around $89M which would be the second highest payroll behind the Lakers.

By the time the season starts the Cavs will probably have the 5th highest payroll in the league behind the Lakers, Mavs, Jazz and Celtics.

How big was the Knicks payroll in the Isiah days? Just curious.

I don't remember exactly, but I think that they were flirting with a payroll of $100M. Don't hold me to that though, but I do know that it was something absolutely ridiculous considering the fact that they were one of the worst teams in the league. I am pretty certain it was at least $90M.