Toronto Maple Leafs 2011-2012

Built Ford Tough

This season stings more than the last few because I honestly believe, talent-wise, we should be a 7th or 8th seed, or at least close, and there is no excuse for a team like Florida making it over us. Just goes to show there is more to being a playoff team than just assembling some decent talent... hard working players (not softies like toronto) and disciplined coaching goes a long way to being decent.

Everything is in Burke's hands now. He needs to get at least 1 or 2 top 6 forwards (one of which is a first line C), a couple hard nosed bottom 6ers (Travis Moen I would love), and solve our blue-line issues (we have too many, and some just aren't good enough). I would say he needs to get a goalie, but for one I don't see him doing it (unless a sure thing is available and he is under 29 years old) because he believes so greatly in Reimer because he has played 40 good games in his career, and secondly, the price tag is probably going to be just too high on guys like Schneider, or St. Louis' goalies.

This should be an interesting and exciting summer to be a Leafs fan, because I am expecting a ton of rumours and moves made. If Burke doesn't make significant additions to this team, he's done, and rightfully so.

Edited by Check my Stats

Leafs signed Spencer Abbott, the likely Hobey Baker winner, today.

He had 62 points (21 goals, 41 assists) in 39 games for the University of Maine this past year.

He is a top 6 or bust type of player, though. At 5'9 and 170 pounds I don't see any chance of him playing in a Carlyle bottom 6 role.

His HockeyDB page, for anybody who wants a look:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=100199

Burke signing another college player, not surprised. Atleast there are still players out there that are actually willing to sign for a team that is so god awful. The only thing i'm looking forward to is the draft lottery and then the draft. This franchise NEEDS those balls to bounce our way, and for us to get 1st overall. I'd blow a load.

• 2 weeks later...

After the stupid win the other night against Tampa, tonight's season finale is huge.

A Leaf loss and they finish 5th last which gives them a chance of getting the first pick (only around 8% but still a chance). Even if they don't move up, I'd be happy with 5th since it would likely mean they would be in position to draft Alex Galchenyuk (I would imagine the top 4 would be Yakupov, Gigorenko, Murray/Dumba, Dumba/Murray) and that would be fantastic. I know he is a bit of a risk, but he would easily be the closest thing the Leafs have to a legitimate #1 center in the organization.

They could also end up 4th last if they lose and the Islanders beat Columbus tonight, so hopefully that happens, although I doubt it.

Should the Leafs win today, they could end up picking as high as 7th, depending on what Anaheim and Minnesota do. A Leaff win and both those teams lose they pick 7th, one team wins they pick 6th and if both win they pick 5th.

So, basically, lose Leafs lose!

first time i'll ever be cheering for the habs. :lol:

I'd be thrilled if they got Galchen with our 5th pick. I'd just be praying that Burke doesn't pass up on him because he's not North American. Even if we fall down to 7th, as long as we could draft Forsberg i'd be happy.

Just wondering BFT, if we were to win the lottery and move up to 3rd would you want to take Murray or Dumba? I think I like Murray more, but i honestly don't know a lot about them.

Just wondering BFT, if we were to win the lottery and move up to 3rd would you want to take Murray or Dumba? I think I like Murray more, but i honestly don't know a lot about them.

It looks unlikely since Phoenix is currently up 2-0 against Minny and I can't see them having a let down considering the Pacific Division is at stake, but should that happen, I'd go with Murray and I honestly wouldn't have to think about it that hard either. I like Dumba, don't get me wrong, but I think Murray will definitely be the better player.

His hockey sense and savy for such a young player is just out of this world and I think he has some good offensive potential as well. Not as much as Dumba, but there is still potential there. Even then, Dumba's offensive potential doesn't make up for Murray's all-around game, which is top notch.

I'd hope that Edmonton decides to go with a defenseman the most, though, which I could see happening. That would leave Grigorenko, which would be ideal.

My board for Toronto would look like this:

1. Nail Yakupov

2. Mikhail Grigorenko

3. Ryan Murray

4. Alex Galchenyuk

5. Filip Forsberg

6. Matt Dumba

7. Morgan Rielly/Jacob Trouba (undecided for now)

I'd also be fine with switching Forsberg with Galchenyuk, but I have Galy at 4 simply because of the desperate need for a center. A big, scoring winger is still a big need as well, and Forsberg could definitely fill that role as well.

with the loss last night, the Leafs are tied for 5th last with Anaheim at 80 points. I'm not sure how the standings work, but the leafs are placed below Anaheim on NHL.com, even though they have more wins. I'm hoping they have it right and that we are in the lottery.

Edited by DemarDerozanDunk

first time i'll ever be cheering for the habs. :lol:

I'd be thrilled if they got Galchen with our 5th pick. I'd just be praying that Burke doesn't pass up on him because he's not North American. Even if we fall down to 7th, as long as we could draft Forsberg i'd be happy.

He was born in the USA. Just would be worried about his knee and how that would hold up over time. Whoever drafts him though will see him without Nail Yakupov for a full season.

with the loss last night, the Leafs are tied for 5th last with Anaheim at 80 points. I'm not sure how the standings work, but the leafs are placed below Anaheim on NHL.com, even though they have more wins. I'm hoping they have it right and that we are in the lottery.

I think it is because you have more shootout wins.

Probably the only time in these past few weeks that you TOR fans will be happy about having more wins than somebody, haha.

I think it is because you have more shootout wins.

Probably the only time in these past few weeks that you TOR fans will be happy about having more wins than somebody, haha.

Oh thats right, they changed it for SO wins. thank god :yess:

The Marlies swept the Rochester Americans in their first playoff round.

Jerry D'Amigo had 5 goals and 6 points in the three games, and was named first star in all 3 games.

Frattin had 1g/2a for 3 points, Colborne had 0g/3a, Kadri had 1g/1a, Gardiner had 0g/2a and Deschamps had 1g/2a.

Scrivens had a 2.00 GAA, a .923 SV% and 1 SO.

• 3 weeks later...

Marlies won in Ot last night to move onto the Conference finals. So far they've only lost one game throughout the playoffs. Jerry D'amigo is leading scorer with 6 goals, 3 assists for 9 points in 8 games. Kadri has 3 goals and 5 assists for 8 points in 8 games. I've got to catch a game soon. I'm paying for Leafs TV, I might as well be using it. I just haven't remembered to watch any yet.

Edit: Oh, and Scrivens has been fantastic judging by his numbers. He's 7-1 with a .944 SV% and 1.61 GAA.

Edited by DemarDerozanDunk

I didn't mean New York to be bad, I mean the team on the back to back (that night being New Jersey). The point I was making was that beating a team like New York was a waste if you were just going to throw it away the next night to a team who had a worse record (at the time I am sure New Jersey did, though I can't be certain).

Despite what you may think, I'm not a New York hater. I thought they might be "pretenders" this year, and though they haven't entirely convinced me, they are half way to where they want to be. Do I think New York is the best team in the NHL? No, didn't then and still don't now. That doesn't mean I think they suck though, they are clearly elite and were clearly elite then.

Why would I call New York shitty on December anyways? They were on fire around that time from what I recall. Use your head lol.

Well, one minute prior to that post, you said:

The Rangers have picked up very few wins against playoff teams. They have won only 4 or 5 games or so against playoff teams.

So you can see how easy it was to be confused :glasses:

It doesn't matter anyway, I'm just busting chops. For whatever reason that post was the first thing I thought of when the NY/NU conference final was official :lol:

Yeah it is pretty incredible how far New Jersey has gone this year, definitely didn't expect it. I definitely looked at them as a playoff team this year (they should have been last year) but in no way did I expect them to be in the ECF. Kovalchuk has come a really long way and deserves all the credit in the world for his play this year. It sucks since it definitely increases the chances of Parise of re-signing (not like Leafs had a shot at him).

And can you really blame me for having doubts about New York when they have been perennial goats year in year out lol. They have looked okay through the playoffs but with the style they play they are going to be in a lot of close, 2-1 type of games, that will surely stress you guys out. NJ is going to be a tough out, should be a good series though. Hopefully lots of fights.

For the record, I would love to see Lundqvist get a ring. The guy deserves it and he absolutely needs it to shut everyone up.

Edited by Check my Stats