Would The Colts Cut Manning?

EastCoastNiner

With all of the rumors about Mathis and Wayne being on the trading block, is there a possibility the Colts cut Manning if they trade Mathis/Wayne, and end up having a chance at Andrew Luck?

The reason I'm asking is because there is a clause in Manning's contract that allows the Colts to cut him within the first four days of next season, and will owe him NOTHING besides the $26.4 million they paid him in guaranteed money this year.

The Colts have the option of cutting Manning (cue the gasp). Manning will make $26.4 million this year - whether he plays or not. The Colts, though, have the option of cutting Manning next season by the 4th day of the season, and if they do so they will owe him nothing on what's left on his $90 million contract.

http://offsidesportsblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/would-colts-ever-cut-peyton-manning.html

No.

You simply don't do the greatest player in your franchise history and possibly greatest quarterback of time like that. I understand business is business. I just don't see it happening under any circumstances other than Manning agrees to it and is fine with and/or MAnning is injured beyond this year and is thinking about retiring.

First of all, they'd have to get the no. 1 pick and get Luck anyway. Which is still somewhat unlikely. But if they do get Luck, I'd do something similar to what the Pack did with Favre/Rodgers. I'd let Luck sit a year or two behind Manning and see what Manning does for the next 2 or 3 seasons.

Lmao no. You dont do that the face of you franchise for over a decade. Also Luck at this point isnt needed for the Colts since Manning is still signed for the next 5 years, maybe you get a qb in the later rounds that you like and you feel can learn but nothing as high as the first round first pick. Manning is the QB for the Colts and should stay QB for the Colts uptill the day he decides to call it quits.

I haven't read up on all of the details/put much thought into it. So I don't really have an opinion one way or the other. But the "don't do it because he is the face of the franchise" argument is pretty dumb, IMO. Do what is best for your team/business, put personal feelings aside.

With all of that said, I struggle to believe that Andrew Luck (or almost any QB) will be better than Peyton Manning for the next 3-4 years. But hey, if they think they are better off long term, then all the power to them. I am going to guess that the Colts know more about his health situation than any of us. And obviously, that is a huge chunk of money involved.

First of all, they'd have to get the no. 1 pick and get Luck anyway. Which is still somewhat unlikely. But if they do get Luck, I'd do something similar to what the Pack did with Favre/Rodgers. I'd let Luck sit a year or two behind Manning and see what Manning does for the next 2 or 3 seasons.

You are missing the point completely. I am saying they would only consider cutting Manning if he was definitely not in good health. They would not start Manning if he was hurt, which is the main point.

You are missing the point completely. I am saying they would only consider cutting Manning if he was definitely not in good health. They would not start Manning if he was hurt, which is the main point.

Oh, yeah, I gotcha.

If the Colts get the No. 1 pick, you HAVE to take Andrew Luck. I mean, according to all the scouts and experts they say he's the real deal. You can't pass on that.

• 4 months later...

With all of the rumors about Mathis and Wayne being on the trading block, is there a possibility the Colts cut Manning if they trade Mathis/Wayne, and end up having a chance at Andrew Luck?

The reason I'm asking is because there is a clause in Manning's contract that allows the Colts to cut him within the first four days of next season, and will owe him NOTHING besides the $26.4 million they paid him in guaranteed money this year.

http://offsidesportsblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/would-colts-ever-cut-peyton-manning.html

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4119/4876696414_d3f62d18be_z.jpg

• Like 1

One of the few things you can actually point too, which still isn't accurate at all.

Enjoy being cellar dwellers once again this year.

I can point to many things that are very inaccurate, that just happens to be the funniest. Enjoy having your two favorite teams get their ass kicked by the G-Women. At least I only lost to the Giants once, you lost twice, lol and in the NFC ship and Super Bowl LOLZ. Wes Welker and Kyle Williams for MVP.

Edited by fish7718

• Owner

I'm not really sure why you'd even bump the topic. All you did was ask if they would cut him, nothing more. In fact...

I am saying they would only consider cutting Manning if he was definitely not in good health. They would not start Manning if he was hurt, which is the main point.

If he plans on playing next season...well, that probably means he's going to be in good health. The cut was because they are afraid he won't last the rest of his contract, and because of the huge chunk of cash he would be paid tomorrow.

Let's dissect your main post, the one you quoted for the bump:

Did the Colts trade Mathis or Wayne yet? I don't believe so. And, you're asking a question that was presented immediately after his serious injury, since Andrew Luck has been on the minds of every NFL team in desperate need of a QB.

Well...doesn't look like they will pay him through the rest of his contract, and they cut him far earlier than you projected (or noted, however you want to put it).

Why the bump?

• Like 2