Chris Paul Requests Trade to Knicks

magicbalala245

I might be wrong but won't the Knicks have enough cap space with Billups' expiring? Paul would have to take less than what the team that owns his rights can offer but it is New York, could always make it up with endorsements.

Even with Billups' expiring there's not enough room I'm almost positive.

• Owner

I might be wrong but won't the Knicks have enough cap space with Billups' expiring? Paul would have to take less than what the team that owns his rights can offer but it is New York, could always make it up with endorsements.

Yes, but it would be nearly impossible without having just two players on the roster (Amare and Melo).

If the Knicks can get away with that, I'll be shocked.

Even with Billups' expiring there's not enough room I'm almost positive.

You're right the Knicks would come up short with $44,154,703 in committed salaries (I believe the cap is around $55 million so roughly $11 million to spend) during next year's offseason, but they can trim it to $40,411,823 if they decline Toney Douglas' team option and find a way to move Renaldo Blackman's contract.

Not sure why people are getting so worked up over this. The trio of CP3, Melo, and Amare will only take you so far. Who's their SG? Who's their C? Who's on their bench?

Remember the trio of Nash, Marion, and Amare back in 2004-05? Why did they go to the WCF? Not only was that offense the best in the league, but they also had the best supporting cast. A trio featuring two offensive minded players with a good amount of flaws will not win a ring on their own. The Heat may get by with a lousy cast because they have the two best players in the game.

Like it or not, the Knicks made a mistake trading for Melo (and more importantly, trading their best assets for him). They could have gotten a much better player for a lesser value.

The CBA prevented players from restructuring their contracts for a potential trade, and has also limited the ways of making a sign and trade offer. This rumor just doesn't seem possible to me.

You're right the Knicks would come up short with $44,154,703 in committed salaries (I believe the cap is around $55 million so roughly $11 million to spend) during next year's offseason, but they can trim it to $40,411,823 if they decline Toney Douglas' team option and find a way to move Renaldo Blackman's contract.

Adding onto this, the salary cap for this season is over $58 million and could grow by 2012.

Well, so much for eliminating the cap. According to the NY Post, teams like the Knicks can rejoice, because the League has reportedly agreed to keep the salary cap at $58 million, with incremental increases going forward: “Knicks owner James Dolan is frustrated the lockout rages on and the club’s season opener tomorrow against the Heat at the Garden has been wiped out. But Dolan, part of the owners’ negotiating committee, is content about one of the agreed-upon aspects of a new collective bargaining agreement: the size of the salary cap will not go down. More than any team in the NBA, that will benefit Dolan’s big-market Knicks the most, ironically. According to multiple sources, one of the resolved issues in a new CBA is the 2011 cap will remain at the level as it was in 2010 — $58 million. ‘That’s what we’ve been discussing, though the exact dollar amount is not set until the new deal is done,’ said one league source, who added no new talks have yet been scheduled. Economic projections from sources say the salary cap will then grow to about $60 to $61 million in 2012 — when the Knicks will have the largest cap space in the league and have room to woo either Chris Paul, Deron Williams or Dwight Howard, who are slated to become free agents. The Knicks could be at least $20 million under the projected 2012 cap. Ironically, Dolan has been seated across from Paul, who is the Knicks’ top priority, during many of the labor bargaining sessions because Paul is on the union’s negotiation committee. According to a players source, Dolan has been the least combative of the owners and often serves as a mediator during contentious moments. ‘He’s tried to keep the parties on point,’ the source said. ‘He’s trying to make a deal, seeing a positive spin. He’s been, in a word, productive.’ Early in the negotiations, the owners’ proposals had the cap set back to $45 million, which would have killed former Knicks president Donnie Walsh’s master plan of adding a third superstar to Amar’e Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony in 2012.”

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/11/report-nba-salary-cap-to-remain-at-58-million-rising-in-2012/

Not sure why people are getting so worked up over this. The trio of CP3, Melo, and Amare will only take you so far. Who's their SG? Who's their C? Who's on their bench?

Remember the trio of Nash, Marion, and Amare back in 2004-05? Why did they go to the WCF? Not only was that offense the best in the league, but they also had the best supporting cast. A trio featuring two offensive minded players with a good amount of flaws will not win a ring on their own. The Heat may get by with a lousy cast because they have the two best players in the game.

Like it or not, the Knicks made a mistake trading for Melo (and more importantly, trading their best assets for him). They could have gotten a much better player for a lesser value.

The CBA prevented players from restructuring their contracts for a potential trade, and has also limited the ways of making a sign and trade offer. This rumor just doesn't seem possible to me.

I agree with this. I never liked the Melo and Amare pairing from the beginning but that's just me. Their games don't go with one another's well at all.

lol @ the post in this thread of people losing respect for Chris Paul lmao, seriously grow up. Sounds a lot like jealousy to me.

Welcome to the NBA LeBron, Wade and Bosh created, get used to it.

Best news I've heard all day :).

As for who's our SG who's our C I'm sure that will get sorted out once CP3 is in NY, but that is the main priority now. Teams have won with mediocre players in important positions before. 08 Lakers perfect example. Derek Fisher at your PG? lol

lol @ the post in this thread of people losing respect for Chris Paul lmao, seriously grow up. Sounds a lot like jealousy to me.

As for who's our SG who's our C I'm sure that will get sorted out once CP3 is in NY, but that is the main priority now. Teams have won with mediocre players in important positions before. 08 Lakers perfect example. Derek Fisher at your PG? lol

08 Lakers lost to the Celtics in the Finals, but I guess you're talking about the 09 Lakers. Anyways, that team was definitely more balanced than what the Knicks would be should they trade for CP3. They had huge contributions from Odom and Ariza in the playoffs, there's a reason why they won 65 games that year.. Miami only won 58 last season.

Paul is one of my favorite players in the league, I've stated over and over that he's the best PG we've seen since Zeke, and I stand by it. I would love to finally see him on a team with two elite offensive weapons, but I just can't fathom it given the Knicks situation.

Jealous? Hardly.

• Owner

Teams have won with mediocre players in important positions before. 08 Lakers perfect example. Derek Fisher at your PG? lol

That's true, but much different at the same time. The Lakers were 6th defensively (2009, by the way), and they would've lost against Houston or Denver if they were terrible on that end of the court. Kobe, Gasol, Odom, Bynum (50 games) and Ariza? Not to mention Phil Jackson, and while Fisher is probably an average starting PG at best, he's also one of the most clutch players over the last decade.

If the Knicks make room for CP3, they will have three players on their roster. Filling the rest with minimum contracts won't assure them a ring. Maybe an ECF visit, but I can't sit here and say they could beat a team with a legitimate defensive anchor + one of the better superstar scorers in the NBA (ex. Dallas).

No, I'm not jealous at all. So you're honestly telling me you think it's okay for Chris Paul to demand a trade to just one team out of the other 28 teams in the league? I'm sure you'd be pissed if Amare all of a sudden said "I'm demanding a trade out of New York and I only want to play for the *team*." You'd be pissed off. So don't tell us to grow up and then call us jealous. And I love how you tried using Derek Fisher as an example of the 08 Lakers....terrible. :lol:

No, I'm not jealous at all. So you're honestly telling me you think it's okay for Chris Paul to demand a trade to just one team out of the other 28 teams in the league? I'm sure you'd be pissed if Amare all of a sudden said "I'm demanding a trade out of New York and I only want to play for the *team*." You'd be pissed off. So don't tell us to grow up and then call us jealous. And I love how you tried using Derek Fisher as an example of the 08 Lakers....terrible. :lol:

It's a business I don't hold emotions. If Amar'e wants out of NY g'ahead, doors wide open buddy. We'll miss ya but gotta do whats right for you. In this era of free angecy players have the complete right to play for whatever team they want to. Looks like NY isn't overrated in Chris Paul's opinion :).

BTW you guys act like the Knicks can't add guys VIA draft and MLE still. If they get CP3 this or next year, they might not win in 2012 or 2013, but 2014 the Knicks are going be [expletive]ing stacked.

So you're honestly telling me you think it's okay for Chris Paul to demand a trade to just one team out of the other 28 teams in the league?

If Amar'e had one year left on his deal and was preparing to leave, I'd very much prefer this situation to him merely walking out the door at the end of the year. Some compensation is always preferred over no compensation.

They could just allow Paul to play his ass off for them for the rest of the season, which I'm sure he'd be happy to do. Doesn't seem like a pouter to me, and it keeps fans in the seats.

I would have liked it more if he would have come out and said I would like to be traded to Orlando and play with one star instead of two but no he wants to go to NY and play with two stars instead. Pathetic.

If this goes down I really hope Dwight ends up landing in LA just so Miami and NY can cry.

I would have liked it more if he would have come out and said I would like to be traded to Orlando and play with one star instead of two but no he wants to go to NY and play with two stars instead. Pathetic.

If this goes down I really hope Dwight ends up landing in LA just so Miami and NY can cry.

[expletive] are we gonna cry for lol. My team has the 2 best players in the game and NY will have a ridiculous offense. Bring on the Lakers if they get Dwight every game will be epic.

Lol yes it would be epic watching Dwight shit on both Bosh and Amare.

Right, because they'd totally be covering him. No need to get immature about this shit.

Edited by Flash

What's with players these days trying to take the coward way out? It gets annoying and makes the league become less balanced....I lost a lot of respect for Anthony when he did this to the Nuggets...and now I'm losing a ton of respect for Chris Paul. It's bullshit.

It is why what Dirk did last season was so impressive.

He could've taken the easy way out and paired up with some other superstar(s) but didn't even consider the thought of leaving Dallas. He re-signs with them and leads the team he has played on for the last 10+ years to their first ever NBA Championship in franchsie history.

It is what it is, though. This new era of stars aren't wired the same way as guys like Kobe, Dirk and Duncan are.

It is why what Dirk did last season was so impressive.

He could've taken the easy way out and paired up with some other superstar(s) but didn't even consider the thought of leaving Dallas. He re-signs with them and leads the team he has played on for the last 10+ years to their first ever NBA Championship in franchsie history.

It is what it is, though. This new era of stars aren't wired the same way as guys like Kobe, Dirk and Duncan are.

I don't see how you group guys who won on their rookie deals to dirk. Why would Kobe and Duncan leave they already have glory. Dirk was a one time flash in the pan thing. Super teams will dominate the next era of basketball simple as that.

I don't see how you group guys who won on their rookie deals to dirk. Why would Kobe and Duncan leave they already have glory. Dirk was a one time flash in the pan thing. Super teams will dominate the next era of basketball simple as that.

It has nothing to do with what contracts they were on. Do you really think Kobe Bryant, at any stage of his career, would've left LA to pair up with LeBron James? I sure don't. He would want to beat LeBron head-to-head, because of how competitive he is and LeBron being his biggest rival.

It is just the type of mindset between the "old school" and the "new school" players.

I'm not even saying that there is anything wrong with the mindset of the current era superstars.

Do I like it? Not really.

Do I have a problem with it? Not really.

They are free to do whatever they want once they become a free agent. The only thing I don't like is them dictating terms while they are still under contract. If Paul wants to pair up with Melo and Amar'e in New York, go right ahead. Just play out your contract first and then sign with them as a free agent. If the team chooses to trade you before your contract is up, great. Just don't try and force your way to another team while you are still under contract with another team.