Tyson Chandler to Knicks?

TheHutch

Don't see how Jamaal Tinsley upgrades the team tbf. There's a reason he was in the D-League.

Yeah, I completely understand.. but I've heard he's in tremendous shape, well-focused, and looking for a real comeback.. he's athletic enough to play in D'Antoni's system, if what was said is true

See the thing I'm wondering is, how will the offense work? Last year you had willing/good passers to initiate the pick and roll with Amare, which was absolutely devastating for defenses last season. Now you can't assume Melo those responsibilities because he's not a good passer, nor is he a willing one (especially off the p&r).

If you're a Knicks fan right now, there's absolutely no reason to feel upset. All of this talk is just minor concerns, I fully believe with Chandler, New York is legitimate contender despite their weak bench and potentially poor PG play. Now the question of how far this Knicks squad goes is up for debate, because depth is a major issue, but there's no denying the talent they possess.

Ok, first of all, Melo is actually a good passer when he wants to be, I've seen him make a lot of terrific passes. And, Amar'e and him were running the p&r pretty effectively towards the end of the season last year. I see what you're getting at - regardless, we need to upgrade the PG position - I think we all agree.

A legit contender? Wouldn't go that far. We are a long ways away. The bench/role players are pretty much a joke. It gives us legitimacy. We could win a round now in the playoffs. We could be a 4 seed. But we're not winning it all with this roster. Must add another scorer in the backcourt, and also must add a PG (on a Felton type level, boy do I wish we had him now lol)

Yeah, I completely understand.. but I've heard he's in tremendous shape, well-focused, and looking for a real comeback.. he's athletic enough to play in D'Antoni's system, if what was said is true

If those reports are true (which must be if they are even considering the guy. wasn't he on the pacers in the late 90's? lol)

Melo has a scorers mentality, your primary p&r guy shouldn't be him..

Dantoni's offense has always stressed the importance of a good PG, this will be his first year working without one.

And the addition of Chandler is huge, they may be able to rival the Celtics for the division title this year (unless they get CP3).

All teams under the cap get to bid on amnesty players first, and I doubt all of those teams pass up Davis.

I read somewhere Davis' first choice would be Heat if he was waived by Cleveland.

Does he come at his come at his current contract if claimed, like with waivers in other sports?

Depends on the winning bid.

If the best bid is for $6M, he comes for $6M.

If the best bid is for $8M, he comes for $8M.

etc...

As for the signing, it is a great fit stylistically, but I would be a bit concerned about Chandler. He has shown issues in the past about becoming complacent after getting a large payday. I doubt he does that on a conteding team, but it is a possibility.

Then there are the obvious injury concerns, especially in a shortened season. Will his back/ankle issues be able to withstand the grind that is the condensed schedule?

On the whole, the signing is worth the risks since he showed last season that he can anchor a championship calibre defense and the Knicks desperately needed that.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Gotcha, so it's basically a bidding waiver system.. is there a max bid? (likely his old contract?) and is it a silent bidding?

Only teams under the cap can bid and you can't make a bid that would put you over the cap.

And yeah, it is silent. You make one bid to the league and that is all. There is no bidding war or anything like that. Each team who wants to bid on the player submit their bid to the league and then the player is given to whichever team made the best bid.

Wow, if they decide to keep Amare, this could be the best front court in the league for the next 5 years.

Didn't like how Chauncey was dealt with in all of this, he was arguably more clutch than Melo and had the best playoff experience to offer to a relatively young team.

If they try to get Baron or Gilbert for point guard, this could work. I think if they went that route, as opposed to pouring all their assets for Chris Paul, they could form a more complete team.

Huge move in the East, especially. With Chandler, Knicks now have an edge against Celtics, Heat, and Bulls.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest