Pineda traded for Montero.

MainEv3nt

BREAKING: @Yankees and @Mariners finalizing 4-player trade involving young studs Jesus Montero and Michael Pineda.

Pineda, a rookie last year with Seattle, won nine games and struck out 173 hitters. The 22-year-old was named American League Rookie of the Month in April.

Montero, also 22, has only seen little action in the big leagues, but he is expected to be a power hitting catcher. In just a month of MLB service, Montero hit four home runs and drove in 12 runs.

Seattle will also receive Jose Campos, while the Yankees will get Hector Noesi, according to Greg Johns of MLB.com.

http://tracking.si.com/2012/01/14/report-yankees-deal-c-jesus-montero-for-mariners-p-michael-pineda/

Just saw this now, hell of a deal for the Yankees IMO. Pineda is gonna be a stud and you can tell the team has had questions about Montero for a while now as he's been close to being dealt a couple times.

Just saw this now, hell of a deal for the Yankees IMO. Pineda is gonna be a stud and you can tell the team has had questions about Montero for a while now as he's been close to being dealt a couple times.

Maybe Kyle or Waldo can chime in, but I am not sure that this is really true. The reason Montero's name was always floating around was because most teams considered him to be the Yankees' most valuable asset. So every time the Yankees popped up in trade rumors for big players, one of the first guys the other team would ask for is Montero. More indicative of how valuable Montero is, if I had to guess.

Also, agreed about Pineda being a stud, but as I said in the other thread, his ground ball rate would worry me if I were a Yankee fan. Last year he gave up almost two fly balls/line drives for every ground ball, which you can obviously get away with at Safeco. Yankee Stadium is a different story. So it seems like kind of a weird fit for both teams, but positionally it fills needs on both sides.

Edited by Phightins

We've seen a bunch of rookie pitchers come in and dominate and then suck so that'd be my only warning flag as a Yankees fan. As for Montero have questions lol I don't see it. The Yankees shot down the Cliff Lee deal 2 years ago which prolly cost them a WS and then the only other person I felt the Yankees were actually considering trading Montero for was Felix Hernandez who is arguably the best pitcher in baseball so nah I think the Yankees loved Montero...

Nah they were good with the Lee deal, the Mariners just preferred Smoak.. Mariners countered us to add Nunez, and we balked.

Montero will be great, his power numbers will just suffer a bit in Seattle. Pineda will be great too. Both getting better. Great baseball trade.