2012 New York Yankees

Teletopez

Freddy Garcia took a liner off the hand and they don't know when he'll throw again, Hughes has predictably looked bad, Pineda is sitting at 90 and they're worried a conditioning stint in the minors may be necessary. Pettitte threw in our camp and looked great, called up and said he wants to play again. Match made in heaven.

Hughes and Garcia bad, Pineda just suffered a "significant" setback.. thankfully Pettitte is close. Has looked great in his minors starts.

• 2 weeks later...

If it was up to me, Soriano to close and keep D-Rob thriving as the set-up guy.

Total [expletive]ing bummer over Mo. Absolute worst news possible. He's been a Yankee as long as I can remember, don't recall having to watch a very extended amount of time without him out there :(

If it was up to me, Soriano to close and keep D-Rob thriving as the set-up guy.

Total [expletive]ing bummer over Mo. Absolute worst news possible. He's been a Yankee as long as I can remember, don't recall having to watch a very extended amount of time without him out there :(

same...he's been a yankee ever since i started watching baseball in 1996.

Mariano Rivera: "I'm coming back. Write it down in big letters."

:) :)

Happy? haha you should just let him move on, why deal with a guy going through ACL problems in his 40's who will probably demand a big deal when you got Robertson?

Oh wait, the Yankees...I forgot :(

Anyway, unlucky Yanks, first Pineda now Mariano, won't hurt at the closer spot but you lost top 3, arguably best, MRP/SU guy in the biz, Venters is the only guy I'd argue with...

Edited by fish7718

Happy? haha you should just let him move on, why deal with a guy going through ACL problems in his 40's who will probably demand a big deal when you got Robertson?

because he's the best relief pitcher of all time and a career Yankee? if he wants to come back, they'll welcome him with open arms.

because he's the best relief pitcher of all time and a career Yankee? if he wants to come back, they'll welcome him with open arms.

Think he'd be willing to accept the set up role?

I wanted Soriano in the closer role following the Mo injury (didn't want to disrupt Robertson's flow in the eighth inning role, plus Soriano had experience as a closer), but now that Robertson is in the spot, keep him there. I expect it to continue to be a rocky road, but hey, if he's in our long-term plans as a closer, we have to prepare him at one point or another. Mo blew three of his first six saves in the closer role.

Robertson isn't Rivera and I'm sure never will be and you can't expect that. we just hope to get some type of consistency out of him, which i think we will. he's a damn good pitcher.

the biggest problem with the yankees (although i don't follow baseball as closely as the other sports ) is their starting pitching. it's just pretty terrible overall. i'm definitely hoping andy can fix that.

• 4 weeks later...