Anyone Else Miss NBA on NBC?

Mentch

I was looking back on this the other day, good times. I remember I watched it a lot when I first got into basketball when I was young. I watched a lot of great moments in basketball history through there, including Game 6 of the 98 Finals (the most watched NBA game of all time), Larry Johnson's 4 point play, Vince Carter in the 2000 Dunk Contest, and a lot of memorable Finals. Their opening theme song is still sick

It's too bad they had to switch it to another network after 2002. I can't complain too much about having basketball on ESPN, but it's just not the same

• Like 1

Speaking as a hockey fan (the NHL's current national TV deal is with NBC/NBC Sports Network), trust me, the NBA has it great with the current setup. So much more exposure.

The NHL got totally screwed over though. Back when the NBA was on NBC, there were still games on TNT and TBS.

• Owner

Yeah like an elementary school kid is going to have real memories about the NBA on NBC looool. Every forum has this thread like 50 times and every time I see teens talking about it when they probably only knew 3 players at the time.

Not sure why he wouldn't. I was watching MJ when I was six, back in 1989, and I distinctly remember his best games without having to watch them at my age right now. That's MJ, of course, but I can also recall almost every teammate from the Bulls team and remember them from those games, including Craig Hodges, Ed Nealy, and Charles Davis, before he won his first championship.

The NBA was still using NBC back in 2001, if I recall correctly, and that was only 11 years ago. A lot of us on OTR are 18+ years old, and I'm sure most remember at 8-9 years old.

Maybe a few guys were bigger fans of the game than others, and watched more than one team. I sure did, watched basketball at age six almost as much as I do at age 28, regarding live TV (excluding League Pass).

Yeah like an elementary school kid is going to have real memories about the NBA on NBC looool. Every forum has this thread like 50 times and every time I see teens talking about it when they probably only knew 3 players at the time.

uhhh...you didn't watch basketball in elementary school?