Terrible Officiating in Nets-Clippers Game: 1/16/2012

Teletopez

I really hope your being sarcastic with this post.....

Thee are like 4-5 calls in that 5 minute long video. NONE of them are that horrendous calls other than Deron getting hit in the face which is something that is hard to see when your watching these games live and you have to account for human error. Nothing else was that bad. The out of bounds call was correct as the crew worked together and watched the video to see that Griffin hit it up and it was out on Williams. And when Griffin backed Williams down thats a good no call. In today's NBA there is more flopping than ever and I don't want to see this guys get away with that crap.

The reality is that the Nets are just an awful team(probably the worst team in the league with Washington) and it's going to be pretty funny when Deron Williams ends up leaving that team and their investment that they gave up all those assets for will have produced nothing. Just an awful team.

I really hope your being sarcastic with this post.....

So the Clippers' own commentators were sarcastic as well when they themselves acknowledged every one of those errors?

Thee are like 4-5 calls in that 5 minute long video. NONE of them are that horrendous calls other than Deron getting hit in the face which is something that is hard to see when your watching these games live and you have to account for human error. Nothing else was that bad.

Deron getting hit in the face? What are you talking about? That was clear goaltending... you could see that from the distance of the camera.

The out of bounds call was correct as the crew worked together and watched the video to see that Griffin hit it up and it was out on Williams.

So the crew working together and watching the video serves as justification that they made the correct call? Griffin hardly hit it up... he hit the side of the ball. Shelden didn't even appear to make contact with the ball.

And when Griffin backed Williams down thats a good no call. In today's NBA there is more flopping than ever and I don't want to see this guys get away with that crap.

You could see Griffin stick out his arm and push Shelden back. The Clips' own announcer acknowledged that he trucked right over Shelden.

The reality is that the Nets are just an awful team(probably the worst team in the league with Washington) and it's going to be pretty funny when Deron Williams ends up leaving that team and their investment that they gave up all those assets for will have produced nothing. Just an awful team.

That's ridiculous. You think that the Nets, who are playing without Brook Lopez, are the worst team in the league? New Jersey has played five home games and ten road games. For comparison, the teams that they have played are a combined 14 games over .500. The Knicks have played teams that are a combined 34 games under .500. With all that, the Nets are only two games behind the Knicks.

and it's going to be pretty funny when Deron Williams ends up leaving that team

Right, because you really know what you're talking about.

So the Clippers' own commentators were sarcastic as well when they themselves acknowledged every one of those errors?

Deron getting hit in the face? What are you talking about? That was clear goaltending... you could see that from the distance of the camera.

So the crew working together and watching the video serves as justification that they made the correct call? Griffin hardly hit it up... he hit the side of the ball. Shelden didn't even appear to make contact with the ball.

You could see Griffin stick out his arm and push Shelden back. The Clips' own announcer acknowledged that he trucked right over Shelden.

That's ridiculous. You think that the Nets, who are playing without Brook Lopez, are the worst team in the league? New Jersey has played five home games and ten road games. For comparison, the teams that they have played are a combined 14 games over .500. The Knicks have played teams that are a combined 34 games under .500. With all that, the Nets are only two games behind the Knicks.

Right, because you really know what you're talking about.

Goaltending? The ball was still on the way up(which is what the referees are looking at). Deandre Jordan gets to these balls so fast and he is so long they didn't see it bounce off the rim. Hell I didn't at first.

Btw whenever I watch games/footage I mute the game. I come to my own conclusions and don't rely on usually biased announcers to tell me what to think. I'll listen to some Van Halen and enjoy the game. It is much more pleasant.

Griffin gave a little bit of contact, but basketball is a contact sport. It wasn't enough for a 260+ man to fall over completely like a little girl. Never reward floppers.

The Nets are a god-awful coached team. They have no real set plays, no real go to scorer. Deron is a nice player, but he has shown that he benefited from Jerry Sloans system in Utah tremendously. He is much worse in this free lance bs "system" that New Jersey runs.

You made a 5 minute collage of like 5 plays when the difference if all calls were perfect(4 points maybe?), when the Clippers would still win even without the bonus points. Not to mention I'm sure there wasn't perfect officiating in favor of the Clippers and if I went through the entire game, could find a few unfavorable calls as well. The fact that you ewnt through the trouble of a 5 minute long video because of 1 or 2 unfavorable calls is comical.

Deron Williams has already said he is leaving that team unless they get Dwight Howard and if you honestly think the Magic are going to accept a package revolving around Brook Lopez for Dwight Howard you are in for a rude awakening. Brook Lopez is one of the most empty stat players in the league. He has no idea of fundamental defense, he is one of the worst 7 foot rebounders with his minutes in the history of the NBA, and he is not a good passer. Him being out is hardly a loss. The Nets just suck and Orlando isn't going to take your trash.

Goaltending? The ball was still on the way up(which is what the referees are looking at). Deandre Jordan gets to these balls so fast and he is so long they didn't see it bounce off the rim. Hell I didn't at first.

It didn't bounce off the rim. It hit the glass... on both goaltends. These are professional officials. You would think one of those three referees would recognize that the ball hit the glass.

Btw whenever I watch games/footage I mute the game. I come to my own conclusions and don't rely on usually biased announcers to tell me what to think. I'll listen to some Van Halen and enjoy the game. It is much more pleasant.

Okay, but my point is that they're CLIPPERS' announcers acknowledging that the CLIPPERS got away with things they shouldn't have.

Griffin gave a little bit of contact, but basketball is a contact sport. It wasn't enough for a 260+ man to fall over completely like a little girl. Never reward floppers.

... except that they're almost the same exact weight.

The Nets are a god-awful coached team. They have no real set plays, no real go to scorer. Deron is a nice player, but he has shown that he benefited from Jerry Sloans system in Utah tremendously. He is much worse in this free lance bs "system" that New Jersey runs.

You made a 5 minute collage of like 5 plays when the difference if all calls were perfect(4 points maybe?), when the Clippers would still win even without the bonus points. Not to mention I'm sure there wasn't perfect officiating in favor of the Clippers and if I went through the entire game, could find a few unfavorable calls as well. The fact that you ewnt through the trouble of a 5 minute long video because of 1 or 2 unfavorable calls is comical.

What's comical is that you didn't even watch the game. Members on Clippers' blogs said themselves that they benefited from the officiating.

Deron Williams has already said he is leaving that team unless they get Dwight Howard

Really?! You must have some great inside sources, because that has never been heard before.

and if you honestly think the Magic are going to accept a package revolving around Brook Lopez for Dwight Howard you are in for a rude awakening. Brook Lopez is one of the most empty stat players in the league. He has no idea of fundamental defense, he is one of the worst 7 foot rebounders with his minutes in the history of the NBA, and he is not a good passer. Him being out is hardly a loss. The Nets just suck and Orlando isn't going to take your trash.

What are you talking about... Otis accepted a deal before the season started revolving around Brook Lopez, but management shot down the deal. To say that Brook Lopez is one of the most empty stat players in the league is completely absurd and ignorant on your part. His defense is incredibly lacking, but to call him one of the worst seven-foot rebounders in league history makes no sense. You're basing it off of an off-year last season, when he averaged more than 8 boards in his rookie and sophomore years. You're completely ignoring his offensive game. If you think his absence is hardly a loss, then it's not even worth arguing with you.

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b476/robitusson2/Good-good-let-the-butthurt-flow-through-you-1.jpg

Have you ever played basketball before? The referees are humans, not machines. The force through which DeAndre Jordan gets to the lane and blocks shots is lightning quick. He got away with quite a few goal tends when I was watching the Clippers-Heat game as well. They will call most, but not all. Deal with it. Any profession makes mistakes, and NBA officials are no different. Do you expect players to make every single shot attempt? No didn't think so. Like I said if I go through the game I could find multiple calls that went in favor of the Nets. It's part of the NBA.

http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/2012/01/report_deron_williams_would_le.html

Thank me later, as someone who claims to be a Nets fan, it is surprising you have not heart this.

What are you talking about... Otis accepted a deal before the season started revolving around Brook Lopez, but management shot down the deal. To say that Brook Lopez is one of the most empty stat players in the league is completely absurd and ignorant on your part. His defense is incredibly lacking, but to call him one of the worst seven-foot rebounders in league history makes no sense. You're basing it off of an off-year last season, when he averaged more than 8 boards in his rookie and sophomore years. You're completely ignoring his offensive game. If you think his absence is hardly a loss, then it's not even worth arguing with you.

He didn't accept any deal. If he accepted it, it would have happened barring a David Stern veto. Brook Lopez will get points, but will never be the best, 2nd best, even third best player on a contending team. In this league it is vital for your bigs to rebound and play top notch defense and for a guy with Lopez'z size and athletisicm to be a piss-poor rebounder/defender shows laziness and a low IQ on his part. Feel free to stop arguing if you can't handle the reality of the NBA being a league in which the Nets are irrelevant and blow.

Not trying to sound insensitive or dismiss your claims or anything, but I think this is a league-wide issue. Every team is going through this at one time or another, so that's probably why you're not going to find much sympathy from fans of other teams. Seems like I am seeing officials having bad nights a lot this year. I understand why you are frustrated though. Hell, just look through any old Sixers game thread and chances are you will find me complaining about the officials at some point (see: Denver game/Violet Palmer).

Look at it this way. In an 82 (66?) game schedule, there will be games where you get screwed by the refs, and an equal amount of games where you benefit from the refs. I don't have a formula, but I feel like it definitely evens out. You'll get one back at some point.

Also, maybe my campaign to have officials from all of the 4 major sports replaced by robots will start to pick up steam...

Have you ever played basketball before? The referees are humans, not machines. The force through which DeAndre Jordan gets to the lane and blocks shots is lightning quick. He got away with quite a few goal tends when I was watching the Clippers-Heat game as well. They will call most, but not all. Deal with it. Any profession makes mistakes, and NBA officials are no different. Do you expect players to make every single shot attempt? No didn't think so. Like I said if I go through the game I could find multiple calls that went in favor of the Nets. It's part of the NBA.

I'm not denying that officials can't make mistakes. But there's a difference between the close calls that you can only truly determine through replay and the things you should be able to catch live. How three referees miss a shot hitting the glass before being blocked not once, but twice, is beyond me. You probably could find mistakes that went in our favor... but nothing as obvious as the two goaltends and the wrong call on the video review.

http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/2012/01/report_deron_williams_would_le.html

Thank me later, as someone who claims to be a Nets fan, it is surprising you have not heart this.

It's Chris Broussard saying that D-Will is likely to leave if the Nets don't land Dwight. That's hardly news. We have yet to hear anything out of Deron's mouth, and this is one reporter telling us something that isn't shocking. That doesn't rule out the possibility of him staying put without Dwight.

He didn't accept any deal. If he accepted it, it would have happened barring a David Stern veto. Brook Lopez will get points, but will never be the best, 2nd best, even third best player on a contending team. In this league it is vital for your bigs to rebound and play top notch defense and for a guy with Lopez'z size and athletisicm to be a piss-poor rebounder/defender shows laziness and a low IQ on his part. Feel free to stop arguing if you can't handle the reality of the NBA being a league in which the Nets are irrelevant and blow.

No, genius. Otis accepted the deal... the Orlando ownership said no.

Again, you're blowing his rebounding struggles out of proportion. Yes, his defense is lacking. That doesn't make him lower than the third best player on a contending team.

The Nets are irrelevant? I don't know, Dwight has Brooklyn as his top choice.

Edited by Brooklyn Bound

So you are going to claim to Deron Williams will stay if they don't get Howard? LOL Not to mention it comes from someone with much better sources than you or I. In this league the stars want to play with OTHER stars. What reason would Deron Williams have to stay in NJ vs the Mavericks, Lakers, or whatever other teams were on his wishlist? Without Dwight Howard that destination is irrelevant and he will be wasting the prime of his career. Unless of course your counting on the combination of Brook Lopez and Marshon Brooks to lead you to the promised land. Good luck bro. Deron Williams is going to leave if they don't get Dwight or another star. I don't need to hear it from his mouth alone to know this is a fact.

And why would the Orlando ownership accept a trade revolving around Brook Lopez for Dwigh Howard who is probably the 2nd best player in the game? LOL. The Magic get no potential pieces to build around in this deal. Tell me one reason in which Orlando would trade Howard to NJ for Lopez as opposed to Bynum for Howard. This will be good, can't wait to hear the reasons. Bynum is 10 times the player Lopez is and is healthy this year so I don't even want to see "Oh Bynum could get hurt". Well Lopez IS HURT HAHAHA.

In your link also take notice Deron is sure to say "90%" sure. This gives Nets ownership//teammates/fans the false sense of hope that he isn't going anywhere, but allows it so that him leaving would've been in his options. Smart statement by Williams.

Edited by FindingNeemo

• Owner

So you are going to claim to Deron Williams will stay if they don't get Howard? LOL Not to mention it comes from someone with much better sources than you or I. In this league the stars want to play with OTHER stars. What reason would Deron Williams have to stay in NJ vs the Mavericks, Lakers, or whatever other teams were on his wishlist? Without Dwight Howard that destination is irrelevant and he will be wasting the prime of his career. Unless of course your counting on the combination of Brook Lopez and Marshon Brooks to lead you to the promised land. Good luck bro. Deron Williams is going to leave if they don't get Dwight or another star. I don't need to hear it from his mouth alone to know this is a fact.

And why would the Orlando ownership accept a trade revolving around Brook Lopez for Dwigh Howard who is probably the 2nd best player in the game? LOL. The Magic get no potential pieces to build around in this deal. Tell me one reason in which Orlando would trade Howard to NJ for Lopez as opposed to Bynum for Howard. This will be good, can't wait to hear the reasons. Bynum is 10 times the player Lopez is and is healthy this year so I don't even want to see "Oh Bynum could get hurt". Well Lopez IS HURT HAHAHA.

No need to be an ass when you're posting. You won't last here. Stop the baiting.

I sense there's a reason why you have 18 different IP addresses. Behind a proxy?

I'm saying not to rule out the chance of Deron staying if Dwight ends up somewhere else. L.A. is the only other destination where I can see Dwight being dealt where he would want to stay, and if he does get traded there, how does Deron join him? The other main competition for Deron would be Dallas, and a 34-year old Dirk doesn't beat out MarShon, Lopez, and at least one high 2012 draft pick (maybe something as good as MKG or Barnes), by much. I'm not guaranteeing anything... I'm just saying that Deron's departure is not a guarantee.

Brook's offensive game isn't that far off from Howard's. Bynum is better than Lopez, but he isn't better than Lopez, Brooks, and two 2012 picks.

I'm saying not to rule out the chance of Deron staying if Dwight ends up somewhere else. L.A. is the only other destination where I can see Dwight being dealt where he would want to stay, and if he does get traded there, how does Deron join him? The other main competition for Deron would be Dallas, and a 34-year old Dirk doesn't beat out MarShon, Lopez, and at least one high 2012 draft pick (maybe something as good as MKG or Barnes), by much. I'm not guaranteeing anything... I'm just saying that Deron's departure is not a guarantee.

Brook's offensive game isn't that far off from Howard's. Bynum is better than Lopez, but he isn't better than Lopez, Brooks, and two 2012 picks.

Brooks offensive game comparable to Howards? Ha...... Howard doesn't have the sexiest offensive game, but what it comes down to is scoring and efficiency. Despite ALSO being the premier defender in the league this guy puts up scoring/efficency numbers at the center spot better than anyone since the 90s decade of centers(Robinson, Shaq, Hakeem).

I also fail to see any reasons indicating on why Orlando would choose New Jerseys package over LA. To me it seems the Nets more than any other organization are praying for Dwight Howard and without him will be bust which results in top pick Favors along with Harris and the other assets being given up for nothing whatsoever. And when New Jersey has no advantages to LA in swaying Howard it looks like NJ should prepare a back-up plan. Two 2012 picks? Brooks? Lopez? I don't see one player in this deal that can be a cornerstone on a contender. However since the Nets look to be so bad should they get the number one overall pick that would be something Orlando would love. Bynum is a bonafide allstar and could definetly be a 2nd option on a title team. Maybe even first if his game continues to evolve. He is unquestionably the second best center in the game by a very large margin. Chances are he is way better than anyone that would get drafted. AND he's young.

34 year old Dirk is more talented than the entire Nets roster. Unlike most players his game will not suffer as much due to age since he is very skill oritented and doesn't rely on power/speed. Dirk isn't having the best season thus far, but his knee is bad and unfortunately after his legendary postseason in which he DESTROYED the heavily favored Heat team, it looks like he became content. Once he gets back in game shape we'll see the end of this Griffin/Love best PF in the league nonsense. Talk to me when any Nets player wins Finals MVP while leading a team to a title without any all stars to aid him.

Jason Kidd almost did it twice.

Almost

And he was there nearly a decade ago. Not to mention this was during an era when the Eastern Conference was so weak it was beyond belief. They would get absolutely DESTROYED vs teams like the Heat, Bulls today. And what happened once he got to the Finals against the true league powerhouses(Lakers, Spurs)? Oh yea the Nets lost.

• Owner
after his legendary postseason in which he DESTROYED the heavily favored Heat team

Dirk shot around 41.6% against the Heat in that series. Three of those six games, he shot under 39% from the floor. One 30-point game, had a terrible Game 6. He destroyed them?

Talk to me when any Nets player wins Finals MVP while leading a team to a title without any all stars to aid him.

Dirk had two other 15+ PPG scorers that shot 45% or better last season (although Caron was injured, eventually), and the Mavericks were one of the best defensive teams in the NBA, and we all know that wasn't because of Dirk. Five players (that were vital in their record and championship) shot better than 36% from three. Peja, Stevenson and Terry are three, and all three shot more threes per game than Dirk.

You remove what Marion, Kidd and Chandler did on defense, stopping LeBron, and the Mavericks get swept by 15+ points a night.

You're a Mavericks fan?

Dirk shot around 41.6% against the Heat in that series. Three of those six games, he shot under 39% from the floor. One 30-point game, had a terrible Game 6. He destroyed them?

Dirk had two other 15+ PPG scorers that shot 45% or better last season (although Caron was injured, eventually), and the Mavericks were one of the best defensive teams in the NBA, and we all know that wasn't because of Dirk. Five players (that were vital in their record and championship) shot better than 36% from three. Peja, Stevenson and Terry are three, and all three shot more threes per game than Dirk.

You remove what Marion, Kidd and Chandler did on defense, stopping LeBron, and the Mavericks get swept by 15+ points a night.

You're a Mavericks fan?

Dirks field goal percentage against the Heat may not look impressive, but he was clearly the best player in the series. A case could be made for Wade prior to him injuring his hip, but Dirk was by far the best star in this series when the Heat have 3 of the top 4 players. He gave his team plays when they needed them most.

Caron Butler does not qualify as a 15 point per game scorer. The Mavericks won the title because of Dirks playoff heroics a period of time in which Caron Butler contributed absolutely NOTHING. Jason Terry was good for some pinch scoring off the bench, but other than those two can anyone on that team consistantly create their own shot? And one of these is a bench player? Dirks supporting cast ranks up there among the all-time worst of title winners by hall of fame players with Duncans Spurs in 03, and Hakeems Rockets before Drexler. He carried them through the postseason which is when the Mavericks won the title, not because of a mediocre regular season which had NOONE picking the mavericks to win it all prior to the start of the playoffs so Butlers role on that team means nothing at all.

Haha remove Marion, Kidd, Chandler. Pretty sure if you remove 3 of the top 5 players from any team their chances of winning a title are slim to none. The Mavericks were the 8th ranked defense which is nothing amazing at all among title winners. Dirks playoffs were truly legendary and not just his finals. The Mavericks weren't favored in ANY series last year(the portland series was 50/50 probably). Not only did he stand out in the finals as the star among stars, but he swept the title favorite Lakers with ease, and outplayed Durant in the WCF who had a superior supporting cast.

Dirks cast may look OK on paper, but considering the casts its taken guys like Shaq, Kobe, Duncan(aside from 03), Jordan, Bird, Magic to win it all, his brilliance in that entire postseason is even more incredible.

Edited by FindingNeemo

• Owner

The Lakers were not the title favorites, lol. Kobe was playing on a destroyed knee that he had to have surgery for, and that automatically turns them away from contending.

Dallas had a mediocre regular season? Their 57 wins was mediocre?

Dirks supporting cast ranks up there among the all-time worst of title winners by hall of fame players with Duncans Spurs in 03, and Hakeems Rockets before Drexler.

Oh God...I hope you weren't serious with those two posts.

Obviously, you don't value defense. Those Rockets were the second best defensive team in the NBA, and the 2003 Spurs team was top three defensively, and there are reasons for that, not just Duncan and Hakeem.

Yikes...yeah, it's all about the star players with you, I guess. Dirk had a ton of help. Dallas was one of the most complete teams in the league in years, and that's how they won despite Dirk missing a lot of shots and being almost irrelevant on the defensive end.

The Lakers were not the title favorites, lol. Kobe was playing on a destroyed knee that he had to have surgery for, and that automatically turns them away from contending.

Dallas had a mediocre regular season? Their 57 wins was mediocre?

Oh God...I hope you weren't serious with those two posts.

Obviously, you don't value defense. Those Rockets were the second best defensive team in the NBA, and the 2003 Spurs team was top three defensively, and there are reasons for that, not just Duncan and Hakeem.

Yikes...yeah, it's all about the star players with you, I guess. Dirk had a ton of help. Dallas was one of the most complete teams in the league in years, and that's how they won despite Dirk missing a lot of shots and being almost irrelevant on the defensive end.

The Lakers were a popular pick for the title favorite.

Defense is very important in winning. Want to know why those teams were so successfull defensively? The biggest reason wasn't Bruce Bowen. It was two of the most dominant defensive players in all-time. Duncan and Hakeem. Those two players were the catalyst for those teams. Take Duncan/Hakeem off those respective teams and their ceiling is a 7th or so seed that gets ousted in the first round. It is very rare in the NBA to win with only one star. Those two guys(and now Dirk) are the only ones in the history of the game to do so which makes it very impressive. Those teams were full of role players that COMPLEMENTED the STARs. Sure those supporting casts worked great with the player, but look at the other guys like Kobe who have shown they can't win it all unless they have the best bigman in the game on their team(Gasol could be argued as the best big in the conference during those years and was definetly top 3 with Dirk/Howard during that timespan).

Just like Kobe and the Lakers won't be able to win a title(0% chance as far as I'm concerned) now that Gasol has slightly fallen off. Unless LA gets Dwight Howard who is the best bigman in the game they are not winning the title. The NBA is a star driven league. You don't win a title unless you have a first ballot hall of famer leading the charge(of course the Psitons prove the one exception).

An investment worth investing in though. Derrick Favors, Marcus Williams, Enes Kanter and Devin Harris for Deron Williams is a great deal. We kept more than enough youth and picks to make an offer for another star and that is how you aim to win in todays basketball by the looks of it.

If he leaves? Marshon, James, Brooks and our first rounder this year are great peices moving forward into Brooklyn. Add that with cap space and we are definately not as awful as some teams will be rolling into 2013.