Turkoglu sees stars in future

The Goods

The Raptors' resident Turk hopes to delight the fans in Toronto this season by making the NBA all-star team for the first time in his career.

Hedo Turkoglu, who was acquired by the Raptors on July 9 in a sign-and- trade deal involving four teams, told the Turkish newspaper Zaman recently that his primary goal for this 2009-10 NBA season is to make the all-star team.

Turkoglu, 30, made the NBA all-rookie second team in 2001 and was the league's most improved player in 2008, but has never been named to the all-star team.

An international standout with the Turkish national team, Turkoglu averaged 15.8 points and 4.5 rebounds during the 2009 playoffs, helping to guide the Orlando Magic to the NBA final.

He averaged 16.8 points and 5.3 rebounds during the regular season.

Turkoglu and his national side recently wrapped up a training camp in Bormio, Italy, in preparation for next month's EuroBasket championship to be held in Poland.

Turkoglu, 30, will be busy the next couple of summers as Turkey will host the 2010 FIBA World Championships. The Canadian national team will compete at the FIBA Americas Championship in Puerto Rico later this summer in the hopes of finishing in the top four and qualifying for the worlds.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/basketball/2009/08/08/10398621-sun.html

I think the Raptors are sure to make the playoffs, at least somewhere in the bottom four seeds, but I can't see them becoming title contenders. With Turk at the prime point of his career, I think it's a good goal for him. It's pretty doubtful, though, when he's in the same conference as LeBron, Granger, Iguodala, Caron, Pierce, Lewis, Tayshaun, and Gerald Wallace.

Edited by Poe