Kobe Fires Salvos at Lin

Kobe Bryant fires a few hilarious salvos at Jeremy Lin

The video, which contains some NSFW language (since overdubbed) from the Kobester, puts Lin squarely in his place, whether Jeremy deserves it or not. From WEEI's Ben Rohrbach:

"I know who he is, but I don't really know what's going on too much with him. I don't even know what he's done. Like, I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I'll take a look at it tonight though."

[Asked again about Lin] "I don't even know what the [fudge] is going on. What the [fudge] is going on? Who is this kid? I've heard about him and stuff like that, but what's he been doing? Is he getting like triple doubles or some [stuff]? He's averaging 28 and eight? No [stuff]. If he's playing well, I'll just have to deal with him."

[Would he consider guarding Lin?] "Jesus Christ. Let's not get ahead of ourselves."

Remember, Kobe comes from the Michael Jordan school. Nobody is to be appreciated, nobody is to be lauded, and nobody is to be talked up unless there's some reverse psychology involved. Jordan lessened that public stance a bit in his last few years with Chicago, but by and large he wouldn't say very many sincere or even nice things about any opponent unless he was sure he wouldn't have to play them again at any point that season.

• Owner

Perfect example of why I don't like Kobe. Way 2 get ur teammates involved tonight.

?

I'm pretty sure he was trying. He's been trying all season long, but the bench is the worst in the NBA, and the Lakers are nearly dead last in three-point shooting as well, missing almost every single shot Kobe tries to create for them.

Also, in the video clip, Kobe doesn't bash Jeremy Lin at all. I'm sure he really doesn't know what some no-name kid has done in three games (meaning, he is not a big name superstar in the NBA, and Kobe -- nor any other player -- watches video of teams they play, and they just finished with Boston last night). Kobe did say he would watch video of him later.

I hope you Knicks fans don't get a big ego over what Jeremy Lin is doing, though. Kyle Lowry did the same thing in Houston. I can tell this is getting a bit out of hand already. Lin played damn good against three average-to-bad teams, and a struggling, old team in the Lakers that threw Derek Fisher and an injured Steve Blake in his path.

Surprising player, good one, high IQ, smart...but even though I like him, I'm getting this gut feeling Knicks fans are going to turn me against him the way Broncos fans turned most everyone against Tim Tebow.

We'll see.

• Like 1

My point was that Kobe doesn't need to continue to state "Who is this guy?" As if he is a nobody. Don't disrespect him. Yes, he was a nobody, we get it. Just say I haven't been too up to date on what he's doing and we'll look forward to playing him tonight. And move on...no need to be like "who the [expletive] is he?"

Also, Kobe got hot in the 2nd half, and played well. But he did not involve his team well, when I say that he was late on a lot of passes when the double came. That's all.

And,Of course Jeremy Lin won't average 28.5/8 for the remainder of the season. No PG in this league does. And he won't. If he averaged 15/7 with limited turnovers I'd be ECSTATIC. When Melo and Amar'e come back, it's obviousy Lin point-production will go down a ton.

Edited by JYD

• Owner

My point was that Kobe doesn't need to continue to state "Who is this guy?" As if he is a nobody. Don't disrespect him. Yes, he was a nobody, we get it. Just say I haven't been too up to date on what he's doing and we'll look forward to playing him tonight. And move on...no need to be like "who the [expletive] is he?"

He said that he knew who he was (he actually said it just like that) and also stated that he wasn't aware of how good he was playing. You didn't watch the video, did you?

Also, Kobe got hot in the 2nd half, and played well. But he did not involve his team well, when I say that he was late on a lot of passes when the double came. That's all.

The double (and triple) teams came when he was 26 feet away from the rim half of the time. How was he late on those passes? The other half, he just led towards the baseline and hit jumpers before the second man reached him.

He said that he knew who he was (he actually said it just like that) and also stated that he wasn't aware of how good he was playing. You didn't watch the video, did you?

The double (and triple) teams came when he was 26 feet away from the rim half of the time. How was he late on those passes? The other half, he just led towards the baseline and hit jumpers before the second man reached him.

When those doubles/triples come 26 feet from the basket, the second you see guys come towards you the ball needs to move. Not once you are stuck having to make a jump pass to get out of it.

And I know he technically said who he was, but you know what I meant. He was doing his typical, let me try to intimidate because I'm an all time great, "who is this guy I haven't heard how he's playing" thing. No need to keep staying that...

And what does Kobe live in a complete bubble? Is Mike Brown a terrible coach and did not inform him the guy has been playing great the past few games and this is how we will defend him?

And no, I did not watch the video. I read the quotes though.

Edited by JYD

TBH, don't think Kobe did anything wrong in the video, Lin doesn't deserve to be mentioned to him, still it's fun to see him punk Kobe. As for RD, getting out of hand? What? We can't celebrate about our player and be happy? lol it's not like we are trolling other members. Seems like you are a bit sour, idk why tho.

• Owner

When those doubles/triples come 26 feet from the basket, the second you see guys come towards you the ball needs to move. Not once you are stuck having to make a jump pass to get out of it.

Haha, okay...well, I'll be sure to tweet this over to Kobe and let him know how to play basketball. :rolleyes:

And I know he technically said who he was, but you know what I meant. He was doing his typical, let me try to intimidate because I'm an all time great, "who is this guy I haven't heard how he's playing" thing. No need to keep staying that...

They asked him three times or so, after he clearly stated that he knew him, just didn't know what he was doing. Kobe wasn't going to suck his dick all of a sudden, and call him incredible.

And what does Kobe live in a complete bubble? Is Mike Brown a terrible coach and did not inform him the guy has been playing great the past few games and this is how we will defend him?

The Lakers do not talk about other teams until the day they play them, if it's a second night of a back-to-back, especially Kobe and Phil Jackson, so I expect the same from most of the guys on that team because they were the ones coached by Phil last season. Kobe watches film all day long, of the team and player(s) he will have to deal with that day. That's one reason why he is who he is.

• Owner

TBH, don't think Kobe did anything wrong in the video, Lin doesn't deserve to be mentioned to him, still it's fun to see him punk Kobe. As for RD, getting out of hand? What? We can't celebrate about our player and be happy? lol it's not like we are trolling other members. Seems like you are a bit sour, idk why tho.

Sour? Yeah...see, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Kind of like all of the NYG posts here...except, that's actually a big deal.

I don't care about a regular season game in February. I'm waiting until March 15th. I wanted Jeremy Lin to net 40 tonight, just so we would make a trade for a legitimate PG. I have no reason to be sour over losing to a team that doesn't mean anything to me.

We lost to the Bucks and Kings already, both on the road. No different.

• Like 2

Whatever. I never said he had to give Lin any credit at all. Of course he should never do that. He's Jeremy Lin. But, to act like he has no idea what he's done when that's the next team you are facing seems foolish to me. But to each his own.

Sour? Yeah...see, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Kind of like all of the NYG posts here...except, that's actually a big deal.

I don't care about a regular season game in February. I'm waiting until March 15th. I wanted Jeremy Lin to net 40 tonight, just so we would make a trade for a legitimate PG. I have no reason to be sour over losing to a team that doesn't mean anything to me.

Lol i hope you didn't take that as insult, just saying what I see. The fact you reacted like that scares me. We know Lin is still an undrafted 2nd year player from Harvard, still we can be as happy as we want.

Whatever. I never said he had to give Lin any credit at all. Of course he should never do that. He's Jeremy Lin. But, to act like he has no idea what he's done when that's the next team you are facing seems foolish to me. But to each his own.

How do you know that he actually didn't know? lol

How do you know that he actually didn't know? lol

I don't. Just speculation that Kobe might have heard something about what he was doing. I wasn't expecting a "Wow, Lin has been amazing! Dude is awesome to watch, really rooting for him!"

Even if he didn't see what he's doing, I don't understand why he dwelled on the question for so long

• Owner

Lol i hope you didn't take that as insult, just saying what I see. The fact you reacted like that scares me. We know Lin is still an undrafted 2nd year player from Harvard, still we can be as happy as we want.

Nobody is telling you guys not to celebrate...but asking people if they are mad, sour, and talking about how selfish Kobe was this game (ha) really only because Jeremy Lin had seven assists, overreacting about a Kobe clip, overreacting when SRV said that the Knicks were mediocre (and they are), calling him out and saying he can't make a comment without seeing Lin play (even though he complimented him well), I can tell that it will get out of hand eventually, seeing that it's only the fourth game.

But it's whatever. Snake did this with his Denver Nuggets 2-3 times over the years, when they had players on a roll (whether it was Melo, Afflalo or Smith), leading into the postseason, and it turned me against Afflalo, who was one of my favorite up-and-coming players.

Doesn't really matter, I guess. Good win.

• Owner

Even if he didn't see what he's doing, I don't understand why he dwelled on the question for so long

...they asked him over and over again. That's not just in the video, but in the quotes you read.

"I know who he is, but I don't really know what's going on too much with him. I don't even know what he's done. Like, I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I'll take a look at it tonight though."

[Asked again about Lin] "I don't even know what the [fudge] is going on. What the [fudge] is going on? Who is this kid? I've heard about him and stuff like that, but what's he been doing? Is he getting like triple doubles or some [stuff]? He's averaging 28 and eight? No [stuff]. If he's playing well, I'll just have to deal with him."

[Would he consider guarding Lin?] "Jesus Christ. Let's not get ahead of ourselves."

He really should have said, "Don't care. He's a nobody. Next question." That's what Jordan used to do when they brought up scrubs that were catching fire. I'm sure that would piss off every non-Laker fan there is.

He really should have said, "Don't care. He's a nobody. Next question." That's what Jordan used to do when they brought up scrubs that were catching fire. I'm sure that would piss off every non-Laker fan there is.

Yeah he should've done than then get outplayed by him and lose. Would've looked great.

• Owner

Yeah he should've done than then get outplayed by him and lose. Would've looked great.

:lol:

I sure the hell wish there was a way that Brown and D'Antoni would have agreed to let the two defend each other, no help defense. Oh well.

^ Repped. People (esp. in NY) are gettin' too overhyped. RD put it best: