General Baseball Thread

Phightins

It's basically 12 years, since it is on top of the 2 years he still has left on the current deal.

Matt Cain signed a new contract with the Giants also. With he and Jered Weaver off the market, I wonder what this means for Cole Hamels.

Surprised to see a couple of people picking the Braves to win the East, much less make it to the World Series. :o

Braves have the potential to have the best rotation in baseball, or at least the deepest. So many young arms...offense should score runs with Bourn McCann Freeman Uggla Heyward, and the Venters-Kimbrel combo was the best 8-9 punch in baseball last year. Braves were a playoff team...until...:)

Braves have the potential to have the best rotation in baseball, or at least the deepest. So many young arms...offense should score runs with Bourn McCann Freeman Uggla Heyward, and the Venters-Kimbrel combo was the best 8-9 punch in baseball last year. Braves were a playoff team...until...:)

Eh, don't remind me. :(

Health is going to be key all season long for our starting rotation. With Hudson still recovering from back surgery and Lowe gone we don't really have anyone who can rack up innings. My main concern though is in the infield at SS and 3B. Tyler Pastornicky, who was named starting SS a couple of days ago has no MLB experience and Juan Francisco who we just got in trade recently is meh.

Should be a fun year in the NL East though, at least for the Phillies, Braves, Marlins, and Nationals. Not so much for the Mets other than seeing Johan Santana return to the mound. :(

How a sport can pretty much have three "Opening Day's" is beyond me.

I miss when every team basically started on the same day (a Monday). But I don't get what your point is. Hockey does it. Football does it. Basketball does it.

• Like 1

I miss when every team basically started on the same day (a Monday). But I don't get what your point is. Hockey does it. Football does it. Basketball does it.

Not to the same extent as baseball. Football has all except one or two of their games on a Sunday to start the year.

There's no real hockey tradition for opening day, yet they pretty much start around the same time.

It's practically a weeks difference between opening days in the MLB this year..........

By the way, are you scurred about the Nationals taking the NL East? :glasses: .

Eh, don't remind me. :(

Health is going to be key all season long for our starting rotation. With Hudson still recovering from back surgery and Lowe gone we don't really have anyone who can rack up innings. My main concern though is in the infield at SS and 3B. Tyler Pastornicky, who was named starting SS a couple of days ago has no MLB experience and Juan Francisco who we just got in trade recently is meh.

Should be a fun year in the NL East though, at least for the Phillies, Braves, Marlins, and Nationals. Not so much for the Mets other than seeing Johan Santana return to the mound. :(

Our offense has potential, Murph was competing for a batting title last year, Ike had one of the best April's of any NL 1B, Duda lead rookies in OPS and had an excellent spring, Wright is Wright, Bay can maybe do something? I like the guys we got in the pen, like an island of misfit toys out there, Francisco who was replaced by Feliz in Texas, Rauch who has bounced around as a back end guy for a while, Ramirez who was a solid piece in SF, Parnell who lit it up this spring and can hit 100. Rotation is probably our strong point, Santana-Dickey-Niese are 3 guys that can return sub 3.5 ERA seasons, well Santana and Dickey have, I think Niese is capable of taking the next step. Dillon Gee looks good. Pelf eh I've about given up on him. Plus we have a few guys in the farm, Harvery Neuwenhuis, Puello, that can come up and fill some key roles if OF's or pitchers struggle. Then theres always Mejia and Wheeler who could break out. Mets can never stay healthy, I don't expect us to compete, but a 70 win season is within reason, we certainly aren't the worst team in baseball.

To me, "Opening Day" is Thursday. Sure there are a couple of games played before Opening Day but to me Opening Day is when you can turn on your TV at 12 and watch baseball all day. That shit they do in Japan no one cares about, thats why they sent 2 of the worst teams in baseball. Tonight is "Opening Night" big difference.

Our offense has potential, Murph was competing for a batting title last year, Ike had one of the best April's of any NL 1B, Duda lead rookies in OPS and had an excellent spring, Wright is Wright, Bay can maybe do something? I like the guys we got in the pen, like an island of misfit toys out there, Francisco who was replaced by Feliz in Texas, Rauch who has bounced around as a back end guy for a while, Ramirez who was a solid piece in SF, Parnell who lit it up this spring and can hit 100. Rotation is probably our strong point, Santana-Dickey-Niese are 3 guys that can return sub 3.5 ERA seasons, well Santana and Dickey have, I think Niese is capable of taking the next step. Dillon Gee looks good. Pelf eh I've about given up on him. Plus we have a few guys in the farm, Harvery Neuwenhuis, Puello, that can come up and fill some key roles if OF's or pitchers struggle. Then theres always Mejia and Wheeler who could break out. Mets can never stay healthy, I don't expect us to compete, but a 70 win season is within reason, we certainly aren't the worst team in baseball.

Even if everything go well, I just can't see the Mets not losing more than 90 games.

JJ is definitely not on his game today..he has allowed a hit in every inning. Expected though, he hasn't pitched in months.

He worked Furcal text book, after that is was all down hill, made a very sloppy 2-2 pitch to Freese after making a perfect 2-1, he's not on top of his game but he's still not pitchig bad, the Cardinals hitters have done a good job capitalizing on his mistakes and even hitting some good pitches...