Bucks trade Bogut for Ellis

Real Deal

• Owner

Whoa.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏ @WojYahooNBA Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Bucks and Warriors have agreed in principle on trade to send Bogut and Jackson to Warriors for Ellis, Udoh and Brown, league source tells Y!

https://twitter.com/#!/WojYahooNBA/status/179725446101999616

Interesting.

I don't really understand this deal much myself. But It's going to be interesting to see who will shot the ball more between Monta and B.Jennings and who will be the go to guy for the Warriors now. I'm guessing Curry but who knows

Wasn't a fan of the move for the Warriors at all at first but its starting to make sense. It came down to this. The Warriors only get to keep their pick if it is a top 7 pick since it is top 7 protected so now with Bogut being out due to his injury they feel they will get worse, get a solid player in the draft and really start their rebuilding process next year. Lee and Bogut is a very solid 4-5. Curry - Wright - K. Thompson at the 1,2,3. But who knows that draft pick can be a franchise changer as well.

I dont understand why they got rid of Ekpe Udoh, he was a 6th pick overall, a clear work in progress and was finally starting to show improvement.

Curry and Ellis didn't work out, ones up tempo and one isnt. Jennings and Ellis can work out because they are both up tempo type players. Over time we'll see how this works out though, interesting trade though, I like it, keep em coming.

• Like 1

I think it's a legit move honestly for GSW as well. I mean, if Bogut can get back healthy the GSW gets their Center that they been needing. Bogut has to make a comeback in order to make this trade be good. You still got Curry, Lee, Wright and Thompson though I don't think he's not quite ready to start but he has slowly but surely adjusted to the NBA game and has a better grasp on how to get his shots. Great basketball IQ, plus he's 6'7, a good size for the NBA 2-guard position. And he's a pure shooter. He can only get better. Jackson could eventually start, but you have to think Thompson, who started on Tuesday, will get the job initially. He was already playing well, and is worth a pickup if you need a shooting guard. He's improving every game too. He has his weaknesses though like his defense but Monta Couldn't play defense either so. I think this trade is good for both IMO.

Edited by Hayes1
  • Like 1

• Owner

I feel like there's another move in the works. Hopefully one that'll get us another first round pick or two.

Lakers???

I can tell you right now that the Lakers will only seek Jennings, and I have yet to hear anything about that...which could be a good thing if you really want him gone, because a lot of LA trades have come out of nowhere (Gasol being the biggest one, since all talk was around KG or Jermaine O'Neal).

How little does GS think of Ellis that they're willing to trade him for an injured Andrew Bogut?

Makes no sense for GS. I would have thought that Ellis would be worth a lot more. And honestly, I thought Bogut could be had for much cheaper.

Otis Smith must be pulling his hair right now. There goes his target to pair with Howard.

• Owner

See, I'm not so sure how the Jennings/Ellis backcourt will do together...but that makes much, much more sense than the Warriors dealing Monta. I heard rumblings all of last year that they would take Curry over Ellis, if they were trading one, and that Ellis really didn't fit into their plans...but damn, regardless of that, Ellis is still more valuable than this.

At full health, Bogut is a nice defensive big that can give you 15-20 a night, if he's being fed the ball (won't go over 20, I don't think he has given Milwaukee more than 15). But, he's just not healthy...and some of his excuses for missing games, I just don't know what to think about him.

Risky for the Warriors but could be worth it. This is a move clearly made to win next season, the Warriors can now tank the rest of the way and end up with a top draft in a top heavy draft. Draft someone like Bradley Beal or Jared Sullinger and then see where this team can go with a healthy Stephen Curry and Andrew Bogut plus Stephen Jackson/David Lee/Dorrell Wright. That said, the Warriors two best players are now both injury prone.

I actually like this a lot from Milwaukee's end. Bogut hasn't played more than 70 games since 2008 and is now out for the rest of the regular season while the Bucks are in the midst of a playoff push (currently the 8th seed). Doesn't matter how poorly of a fit a Ellis/Jennings backcourt is, Ellis a fringe All-Star in this league and will always have plenty of value so long as he is healthy. If it doesn't work out then you can always deal Jennings or Ellis in the offseason but at the very least they get better in the short term. They also dump Stephen Jackson and pick up a decent prospect in Ekpe Udoh plus a serviceable center in Kwame Brown (not sure how much longer he is out). If the Bucks were to hang onto Bogut and he got hurt again next season then his value would have sunk big time.

Edited by Dash

See, I'm not so sure how the Jennings/Ellis backcourt will do together...but that makes much, much more sense than the Warriors dealing Monta. I heard rumblings all of last year that they would take Curry over Ellis, if they were trading one, and that Ellis really didn't fit into their plans...but damn, regardless of that, Ellis is still more valuable than this.

At full health, Bogut is a nice defensive big that can give you 15-20 a night, if he's being fed the ball (won't go over 20, I don't think he has given Milwaukee more than 15). But, he's just not healthy...and some of his excuses for missing games, I just don't know what to think about him.

FYI, Warriors wanted to trade Curry instead of Ellis but the Bucks were scared off due to Curry's ankle injuries.

Jennings/Ellis backcourt is going to be fun to watch, I don't know if it's going to work, but if it doesn't, Bucks could ship one of them off during the off-season. Both will still be pretty valuable in the off-season. Bucks also lose a lot of salary in this trade.

I like it.

• Like 1