Eagles get LB DeMeco Ryans from HOU for 4th-rd pick in 2012

Smitty

Jay Glazer ‏ @JayGlazer

Eagles finally getting that LB they've been searching for as they have agreed to a trade w Houston for pro bowl LB DeMeco Ryans

Nice.

If the pick swap is true then this is an amazing deal for the Texans. We clear a bunch of cap room for a possible extension for Schaub/Brown and/or free agent signing and get a draft pick plus move up from 90 to 77 (if its this year). Basically sold high on a guy who really wasn't all that productive last season although granted he was a big time leader in the locker room. In Wade's 3-4 defense, he's certainly replaceable.

I wish DeMeco the best, maybe playing on a 4-3 defense and having another offseason to recover from Achilles surgery will get him right back on track.

Edited by Dash

Great pickup. LBs are obviously needed and anything is basically an upgrade.

I agree

but dude your sig is way too distracting man. i honestly go into a topic and can't even read anything else or come up with a coherent post.

• Like 2

“@briancushing56: I wouldn't be half the player or person I am today without @DRyans59 this one hurts. Philly got a unbelievable player and leader today. #59”

“@briancushing56: I wouldn't be half the player or person I am today without @DRyans59 this one hurts. Philly got a unbelievable player and leader today. #59”

‎2-time Probowler MLB Demeco Ryans for a 4th round pick. Texans went to a new defensive scheme and are trying to cut salary.We pretty much raped them. He was injured 2 seasons ago but played 16 games last season. It's a steal any way you look at it.

‎2-time Probowler MLB Demeco Ryans for a 4th round pick. Texans went to a new defensive scheme and are trying to cut salary.We pretty much raped them. He was injured 2 seasons ago but played 16 games last season. It's a steal any way you look at it.

Rape how?

Benefits for both teams obviously, but this is absolutely massive for the Eagles, even if he's only a shell of his former self (hoping he returns to old form in the Eagles 4-3 though). Anybody who watched Casey Matthews play last season knows what I am getting at.

• Like 1

Its a 4th round pick and the Texans get to move up 13 slots in the third round, which is pretty significant. I disagree that a 4th rounder is worthless, you can still find a decent amount of talent there and even in the 5th round.

Again not to bash on DeMeco because I love the guy and hope he can someday return to Pro-Bowl form, but the odds aren't very good for players who tear their achilles. On a top 2-3 defense DeMeco was our worst linebacker, which isn't exactly a bad thing but the Texans can certainly make do without him. Honestly I'm surprised that the Texans were able to scoop up a 4th rounder and a 3rd round pick swap for him. I'm only pissed that we lost two starters but Brooks Reed did fine last year replacing Mario Williams and the Texans are said to be very high on Darryl Sharpton (a 4th round pick in 2010 by the way).

I only wish that the 4th rounder came this year because the Texans seriously need to replenish their depth somehow, and the only way to do that is to have a GREAT draft. Coming off possibly the best draft night of any team in the 2011 draft, I'm confident we can make something happen with Wade and Kubiak leading the way.

Even if DeMeco never returns to form, I think its still a solid acquisition for the Eagles because he can be THE vocal defensive leader for the Eagles.

• Like 2

but dude your sig is way too distracting man. i honestly go into a topic and can't even read anything else or come up with a coherent post.

Qft what is that anyway?

Anyways ryans used to be a monster but he has had trouble with injuries past couple year iirc. Good move for the eagles just because you aren't giving up a whole lot in a 4th round draft pick and they are desperate for even mediocre linebacker talent.

Texans players are not happy.

Here are a few text messages from current or former players:

“WTF!! You know what they are up to?”

“Damn, man, and they talk about loyalty.”

“Cold-blooded, man, cold-blooded. But Meco will be better off for it. He’s going to dominate in Philly.”

“They don’t what leadership means, do they? Bet they won’t finish No. 2 in defense next season.”

“It’s an ugly business. We’re not the same team without him. Gonna take a lot to replace Meco.”

Players went onto Twitter with public comments as well.

Owen Daniels: “Seriously? Meco too?”

Brian Cushing: “I wouldn’t be half the player or person I am today without @DRyans59 this one hurts. Philly got a unbelievable player and leader today. #59″

Glover Quin: “Honored to have had the chance to play with and learn from @DRyans59.. True leader and great person… Preciate you bro.”

Eric Winston (to Owen Daniels): “Watch you® back kid. @owendaniels you’re the last ’06 guy left.”

A 4th round pick is nothing IMO.

Not to be a smartass but Tom Brady was a 6th round pick, Marquis Colston was nearly Mr. Irrelevant in the 7th round, and hell Arian Foster wasn't even drafted and their all pro bowlers. I'm sure we could possibly get good value with those picks and if not you have other rounds just look at what Bilichick did for the Pats with all the picks he has had over the last couple of drafts.

Edited by htownborn

At first I was kind of angry with this trade but I can understand why it happened. For one Demeco's injury kind of hurt his production last season and since we run a 3-4 defense anyway his production goes down even more. He is way better suited for a 4-3 defense and I find it ironic he's traded to Philly because I though that would have been the best place for him to play other than Houston. We also save money for next year to sign Schuab, Duane Brown, and Connor Barwin who are more important to this team. The salary cap sucks and I really wish we could have kept Mario and Meco but thats business I guess I wish the both of them nothing but the best on their new teams.

Texans players are not happy.

Well that's business but I do find it funny that our first 3 draft picks from the 06 draft are now gone. I think Daniels will stay though he doesn't cost as much and he's important to our offense.

At first I was kind of angry with this trade but I can understand why it happened. For one Demeco's injury kind of hurt his production last season and since we run a 3-4 defense anyway his production goes down even more. He is way better suited for a 4-3 defense and I find it ironic he's traded to Philly because I though that would have been the best place for him to play other than Houston. We also save money for next year to sign Schuab, Duane Brown, and Connor Barwin who are more important to this team. The salary cap sucks and I really wish we could have kept Mario and Meco but thats business I guess I wish the both of them nothing but the best on their new teams.

Kind of down? He had a two game stretch this season where he recorded 0 tackles and 0 sacks. His production can easily be replaced but his leadership can not.

Agreed on the second half of your post. Schaub, Brown and Barwin are all too crucial to this team and we can't afford to lose either one of them.

Well that's business but I do find it funny that our first 3 draft picks from the 06 draft are now gone. I think Daniels will stay though he doesn't cost as much and he's important to our offense.

Yeah. The Winston tweet to Daniels was hilarious though.

Edited by Dash