2012 NFL Draft Thread

htownborn

I know we have a NFL off season thread but I wanted to make a separate draft thread to here people's opinion's on the draft. The draft is lease than a week a way and I want to know some guys you would like to see your team draft in the first round.

Edited by htownborn

Houston Texans 1st round options

1. Rueben Randle 6'3" 210 LSU (He has good size, hands, and speed. He's also a good route runner and can be physical with opposing DB's. I have seen him projected in both the late 1st and early 2nd round but there's a good chance he could be there at #26 when the Texans pick. I think he could possibly be a steal for any team that gets him)

2. Stephen Hill 6'4" 215 Georgia Tech (A lot of mocks I see have us taking Hill and with good reason he has good size like Randle actually better size and he's more explosive and athletic. The one problem I have with Stephen Hill is the production he put in at Georgia Tech. He didn't have half as many catches or TD's as most projected 1st rounder did. It could be because of the system they ran at GT but regardless I think he could be an upgrade over Jacoby Jones and a better fit.)

3. Coby Fleener 6'6" 244 Stanford (I know were likely to go WR or OLB with our first pick but if a guy like Fleener falls to us I think we should take a chance and get him. I know we have Daniels and there's a slim chance we take him but imagine how dangerous the Texans would be if they got a guy like Fleener. He's a Rob Gronkowiski/Jimmy Graham type of player at 6'6" 245. Our offense would be even more explosive with Andre and who ever we draft at wide out, Daniels and Fleener at TE, Foster and Tate in the back field.)

4. Jonathan Martin 6'6" 304 Stanford (Obviously OT isn't our biggest need but Martin would be great value at #26. After releasing Eric Winston we need to fill the hole at right tackle. Martin is another guy that was projected a top 10-15 pick but I have seen him fall in a lot of mock's and couple of them actually have him going to Texans.)

5. Michael Brockers 6'5" 306 LSU (OLB and ILB are more important to draft for our defense and in the first round IMO but we can address that in later rounds especially if Brock falls to us. I know this is irrelevant to this topic but I actually went to the same high school with this dude and he was a beast then and today is no different. In most mock's he's projected between 15-25 so his another guy that we would have a slim chance of getting but if he falls below 25 I wouldn't mind us taking him. I believe he would be an upgrade over Cody and our front line would be nasty with Watt, Brockers, and Smith.)

Another possibility trade down for more picks.

Edited by htownborn
  • Like 1

Randle is okay but I still feel like he would be a reach even in the late first round and I don't want any part of Stephen Hill as our first pick either. Coby Fleener and Dont'a Hightower are at the top of my board.

Just take a receiver in the 2nd round, fingers crossed that Brian Quick is still on the board.

Edited by Dash

Randle is okay but I still feel like he would be a reach even in the late first round and I don't want any part of Stephen Hill as our first pick either. Coby Fleener and Dont'a Hightower are at the top of my board.

Just take a receiver in the 2nd round, fingers crossed that Brian Quick is still on the board.

I think Randle is pretty good compared to a couple of receivers in this draft but he could be a bit of a reach especially if the Texans are that desperate for a receiver which is why I wouldn't be surprised if they trade this pick. And I agree with you about Hill I don't see what's the big deal about him apart from his size and athleticism. He reminds of a better Jacoby Jones but since most mocks have the Texan's taking him I included him in the list. Hightower was a guy I was close to putting in my list too but since we just signed Bradie James and we still have Sharpton I think the Texans will probably wait until maybe the 2nd or 3rd round if not later to address Inside LB.

And I agree with Brian Quick even though I never seen him play live I've seen a lot of highlights he could be a steal in the 2nd or 3rd round he kind of reminds me of poor man's Brandon Marshall.

Edited by htownborn

I think Randle is pretty good compared to a couple of receivers in this draft but he could be a bit of a reach especially if the Texans are that desperate for a receiver which is why I wouldn't be surprised if they trade this pick. And I agree with you about Hill I don't see what's the big deal about him apart from his size and athleticism. He reminds of a better Jacoby Jones but since most mocks have the Texan's taking him I included him in the list. Hightower was a guy I was close to putting in my list too but since we just signed Bradie James and we still have Sharpton I think the Texans will probably wait until maybe the 2nd or 3rd round if not later to address Inside LB.

And I agree with Brian Quick even though I never seen him play live I've seen a lot of highlights he could be a steal in the 2nd or 3rd round.

As far as I can tell the James signing was only for depth and Sharpton is far from a sure thing although the brass seems to be very high on him.

I actually think that Randle is one of the more "safe" picks in the receiver class so I'm not opposed at all to drafting him. Need vs BPA, Randle is fine but I'm more of a fan of taking the best player available (in my mind its Hightower) and then taking a decent receiver prospect in the 2nd round such as Quick. The problem is that I think Quick is going to be off the board by the mid 2nd round, but there is where the luxury of owning so many compensatory picks next year kicks in because the Texans could easily trade one of their loads of picks in next year's draft along with one this year in order to move up in the draft.

Dont'a Hightower/Coby Fleener, Brian Quick and a nose tackle in the 3rd round would be quite the coup by the Houston Texans. I would then look for Kubes to shore up on the offensive line with the 4th and 5th rounders, maybe even pick up on a corner with the departure of Jason Allen although this depends strongly on how Phillips feels about Brandon Harris. The final two picks would just be for depth with one of them very likely being for a punt returner and a third-string quarterback for Kubiak to grom isn't out of the question either considering Schaub's health issues the past few years.

Edit: Actually just give me Fleener.

Edited by Dash

As far as I can tell the James signing was only for depth and Sharpton is far from a sure thing although the brass seems to be very high on him.

I actually think that Randle is one of the more "safe" picks in the receiver class so I'm not opposed at all to drafting him. Need vs BPA, Randle is fine but I'm more of a fan of taking the best player available (in my mind its Hightower) and then taking a decent receiver prospect in the 2nd round such as Quick. The problem is that I think Quick is going to be off the board by the mid 2nd round, but there is where the luxury of owning so many compensatory picks next year kicks in because the Texans could easily trade one of their loads of picks in next year's draft along with one this year in order to move up in the draft.

Dont'a Hightower/Coby Fleener, Brian Quick and a nose tackle in the 3rd round would be quite the coup by the Houston Texans. I would then look for Kubes to shore up on the offensive line with the 4th and 5th rounders, maybe even pick up on a corner with the departure of Jason Allen although this depends strongly on how Phillips feels about Brandon Harris. The final two picks would just be for depth with one of them very likely being for a punt returner and a third-string quarterback for Kubiak to grom isn't out of the question either considering Schaub's health issues the past few years.

Edit: Actually just give me Fleener.

The James signing was definitely for depth reasons and I wouldn't be surprised if we cut him but he did a solid job in Dallas so I fell he could do good here. Sharpton was good when he had time on the field will he progress anymore that remains to be seen.

Hightower would be a good choice for us and I would like to have him on the team but I just don't see us taking a ILB in the first round since it's not that big of a need. And most mocks I see Quick as a late second rounder but those are just mocks of course anything crazy can happen during draft night, I agree though he'll probably be picked in the mid second round but if he falls to us we shouldn't hesitate to take him.

If we take a NT I say get Jared Crick, Josh Chapman, or Derek Wolf (he's someone the Texans have already met with). I agree we should take lineman for our 4th and 5th picks I don't really know about CB though. We could go that route but I think we should just get a vet CB from free agency I think were young enough at CB with Jackson, Harris, McCain etc... we should get another vet at QB too and just continue to groom Yates.

"Actually just give me Fleener" lol I see this is one thing we can definitely agree on

For the Giants, i'm just hoping they take an OL in the first round. They will probably go for who they find to be BPA, which has seemed to work over the past few years, so if thats the case i won't be mad. They need to make the OL younger though, so drafting atleast one in the first couple rounds is a must. I'm also looking for a LB and a RB. Other then that, don't care too much.

For the Giants, i'm just hoping they take an OL in the first round. They will probably go for who they find to be BPA, which has seemed to work over the past few years, so if thats the case i won't be mad. They need to make the OL younger though, so drafting atleast one in the first couple rounds is a must. I'm also looking for a LB and a RB. Other then that, don't care too much.

Line isn't all too old, need to just pick the best player that falls to us.

Unless a better player falls to the Eagles...Fletcher Cox in the 1st round or bust.

I'll be surprised-ish if he is around for us, unless we trade up. It'd be nice though.

I'll be surprised-ish if he is around for us, unless we trade up. It'd be nice though.

Yeah..that's what I meant haha, tired...

Maybe trade up to 7, since Jags seem to want to trade down.

I feel like the Cowboys should go with Mark Barron, good safety him and Brandon Carr will be great upgrades for our secondary. However I still wouldn't be disapointed with DeCastro or Still, please no Poe though, we can't afford a draft bust..

Edited by fish7718

The James signing was definitely for depth reasons and I wouldn't be surprised if we cut him but he did a solid job in Dallas so I fell he could do good here. Sharpton was good when he had time on the field will he progress anymore that remains to be seen.

Hightower would be a good choice for us and I would like to have him on the team but I just don't see us taking a ILB in the first round since it's not that big of a need. And most mocks I see Quick as a late second rounder but those are just mocks of course anything crazy can happen during draft night, I agree though he'll probably be picked in the mid second round but if he falls to us we shouldn't hesitate to take him.

If we take a NT I say get Jared Crick, Josh Chapman, or Derek Wolf (he's someone the Texans have already met with). I agree we should take lineman for our 4th and 5th picks I don't really know about CB though. We could go that route but I think we should just get a vet CB from free agency I think were young enough at CB with Jackson, Harris, McCain etc... we should get another vet at QB too and just continue to groom Yates.

"Actually just give me Fleener" lol I see this is one thing we can definitely agree on

Lol yeah I love Hightower's talent but you're right that with the signing of James, even if its for depth, makes it highly unlikely that we draft him. Fleener would easily be the best "receiver" available although we should definitely draft an actual wide receiver in the first two rounds, third round at the latest.

Veteran or rookie is fine by me as long as we bring in a player to help fill out the depth chart. I'm more of a fan of just taking a rookie quarterback though, he'll be third string for entire regular season likely so why not draft someone to groom along with TJ Yates? True Schaub's health isn't something we can count on but I think its likely that Texans management would sign a veteran QB if Schaub were ever to go down instead of throwing our 2nd project QB to the wolves.

As for a NT, hasn't Crick had some nagging injury? I like Alameda Ta'amu but he's 2nd round talent and certainly shouldn't fall out of that round at all. Wolfe is someone I know that the Texans have expressed interest in once or twice in the draft process, if Wade likes him that much then we should definitely scoop him up.

Lol yeah I love Hightower's talent but you're right that with the signing of James, even if its for depth, makes it highly unlikely that we draft him. Fleener would easily be the best "receiver" available although we should definitely draft an actual wide receiver in the first two rounds, third round at the latest.

Veteran or rookie is fine by me as long as we bring in a player to help fill out the depth chart. I'm more of a fan of just taking a rookie quarterback though, he'll be third string for entire regular season likely so why not draft someone to groom along with TJ Yates? True Schaub's health isn't something we can count on but I think its likely that Texans management would sign a veteran QB if Schaub were ever to go down instead of throwing our 2nd project QB to the wolves.

As for a NT, hasn't Crick had some nagging injury? I like Alameda Ta'amu but he's 2nd round talent and certainly shouldn't fall out of that round at all. Wolfe is someone I know that the Texans have expressed interest in once or twice in the draft process, if Wade likes him that much then we should definitely scoop him up.

True but I think we we should still take Fleener for our first pick if he's there, (he'll more than likely be there) and draft a receiver in the second round. This draft is deep at receiver so we should get some good value in the second or third round.

I don't mind us taking another QB in the draft I just feel we needs another vet so we won't have to go through what we did last season. Yates did good but like you said he was thrown to the wolves unexpectedly without any training camp and even though he did a decent job he showed he still needs a lot of work so I say sign another vet to help teach him a little bit more along with Schaub.

I haven't heard about Crick's injury but I guess that's why he's stock went down so much from a late 1st or early second rounder to a potential 3rd rounder. But you can't always let injury's stop you from drafting a guy remember Arian Foster went undrafted because of injury problems that and fumbleities and look how he turned out for us. I agree though we should take a safer pick and Alameda Ta'amu is another guy I've been looking at but as you said he may be second round talent I doubt we draft a NT that high unless we can get Brockers like I've said in the first round. It really doesn't matter who we get though I'm sure Wade won't make a mistake with whoever he drafts at NT.

Edited by htownborn

Just have this feeling Reid is gonna get lazy and just take another motor midget DE.

Hope I'm wrong.

Haha. Well, no matter who they pick, 95% of fans will hate it and WIP will be unlistenable tomorrow. Only in this city....

Personally I just want the best guy available, regardless of position. If Barron or Kuechly is on the board (doubtful unless we trade up), I guess they'd be my preference.

Edited by Phightins

Haha. Well, no matter who they pick, 95% of fans will hate it and WIP will be unlistenable tomorrow. Only in this city....

Fanatic will be just as bad too, haha.

I can imagine the Mike Miss show now....

Breaking: Browns Trade up to #3 Spot

Apr 26th, 2012 at 7:08 pm by jasonBengals

Pin It

Michael Lombardi just reported on the NFL Network that the Browns have traded up to the #3 spot, essentially swapping spots with the Vikings, who now hold the #4 spot. Its expected this move was made to draft Bama RB Trent Richardson.

Source

Edited by fish7718