Ray Allen interested in joining Heat

trutrojan8

I just don't see why Miami doesn't go after guys like Camby, Kwame Brown, Nazr, etc. Seems there are plenty of quality bigs out there, and I don't think Ray Allen is as much as an upgrade as everyone thinks. Is he a better player than Battier/Miller? Well Miller of course, but Battier is a better and more versatile defender (would Allen have been taking plays on KD?), and a very quality spot up shooter, which is 100% the role Allen will be relegated to.

Do I think Allen is a bad fit? No, not at all. But he is absolutely the last thing the Heat need IMO. There are plenty of quality, big bodied centers the Heat should be focusing their attention on. Your logic is "yeah well Bosh worked at center, so we can get by on it", well why doesn't that logic apply to your shooters? Especially when they are the reason the Heat spanked OKC in that closeout game, as we all know.

Would way rather see them use their 3M exception (or part of it) on a guy like Nazr, Hawes, Camby, etc. Instead, they are gonna waste it on Ray Allen, and then what? Pick up Diop, Battie, Magloire or some other stiff big man like they do every year?

• Like 1

Going to agree with CMS. At this point in his career Ray Allen is not much more than a spot up shooter and although Miami can be deadly from outside with Wade/Lebron garnering all the attention and Ray Allen slithering in the perimeter (the simple drive-pass-and pop we see often from Lebron), I think adding more size and length up front is the more pressing need. I can see why Miami is after Ray though, Lebron and Wade struggled from the perimeter in the Thunder series and Ray Allen would be another proven winner inside that Heat locker room so it would be a solid signing but not the most necessary.

We are going to get a stiff big man regardless. The offense doesn't need a big man, he would never get a touch. The defense we have in the post is just fine, just need more rebounds. I think we are sticking with Anthony, Curry and Pittman (I hope to god he gets better in the summer).

Also, quality big men know their value, they can get loads more money else where. We can only sign guys who are old as crap or chasing a ring to finish their careers. Only guys worth it are Hawes or Camby, and they will get offered so much money else where that our offer will be laughable.

Edited by SRV

Our need for a big is overstated at this point and IMO we'll adress it in the draft. Fab Melo or Ezeili are both upgrades over Joel and Bosh is our starting C moving forward.

Hasheem Thabeet was an upgrade over 75% of the centers in the league, in June 2009...at least that's what was said.

I'd much rather take a chance on a big in the draft though considering the market is weak this offseason. If we can draft Fab Melo I think working with Zo will be huge for him and his development especially on defense.

Another name I hear us looking at is Quincy Miller. Interesting pick because he's a big time talent and should be back to 100% from his ACL injury.

Either way, signing Allen is definitely something we need. We didn't have consistent 3 point shooting all season and his ability to hit threes on the move is big for us. Definite upgrade over Miller and JJ.

I know LeBron would be happy to know he has a "knock down" shooter on the roster. Mike Miller's job is over.

Actually Mike Miller might be coming back depending on how long the surgery on his back will keep him out for. If Miller can play anywhere close to 85% I'll gladly take him back for another year.

Ray Allen would definitely be a nice addition. Yes, Miami has a number of other spot-up shooters, but Ray would be the only one who could create open looks with his off-ball movement, as opposed to standing in one spot and waiting for Bron/Wade to draw the defense and kick it to him. He can also put the ball on the floor and sometimes finish at the rim, something Miller/Jones/Battier don't do. Lastly, he would give Miami a go-to option for game-tying/game-winning shots.

I do agree that they need a quality C first and foremost, but they do not come cheap. Hell, last season Kwame Brown signed for nearly $7M, which is certainly out of Miami's price range. Miami proved this season (and 10-11 as well) they don't necessarily need to play a traditional lineup to win...in fact, against most teams the smaller lineup actually worked better because it opened up the offense. Therefor, I feel it would be smarter to spend whatever money they have on talent and value as opposed to 'fit'. If they spend money on a stiff at C, that player is going to fail, be a bad fit with the team and be glued to the bench by February. That's why it'd be better to get an upgrade over what they already have, and then figure out how to plug holes.

I don't think we need a true C. We just won a title with a 75% Bosh playing center. I think another slasher off the bench is a big need for us though because when the offense gets stagnant with the 2nd unit we need someone who can give us instant offense off the bench.

Its probably because we aren't heartless jerks...look how good we were when he sucked balls, look how disgusting we were when he hits shots. Its a case where having him explode is 1000x more valuable to us than having him suck. He doesn't play that much unless he gets going early either way.

It's funny how one game can make up for the entire season. Mike Mller was garbage the entire season and playoffs but one game he goes off and suddenly Heat fans would love to have him back...smh

Because we know what he can do when he's healthy. I'm willing to give him another shot and we're loyal to guys who bring us success. The guy set a finals record for threes in a game the night we won a ring.

Lebron and Wade tweeted that tomorrow is a big day for Heat nation.....its either Ray Allen, or Riley just shit all over the NBA and got us Dwight Howard (its not possible, but this is Pat Riley, he cheats).

http://tophatal.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/he-got-game-jesus-gets-a-taste-of-what-college-is-like-for-the-student-athlete.jpg?w=400

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/610122/lebroncheer.gif

Edited by Flash