So....the Sixers get Andrew Bynum

I know there's another thread but this one is for us.

Thoughts?

I really like it. We finally got a true center which are really scarce in the league.

Only hope that Bynum wants to be here, plays, and behaves.

I'm sorta looking forward to hear him bash the Lakers Org in the coming days lol.

Projected Starting 5?

Jrue

Evan

Thad?

Moultrie/Kwame/Allen?

Bynum

We still have no one that can shoot the trey ball which is gonna kill us this year.

Iggy, Meeks, and possibly Harkless were going to supply some of that.

• Owner

I think Philly will be fine on the offensive end, but now I'm kind of curious to see just how effective Drew will be on the defensive end, and how the team will do overall on the defensive end (since Iggy is gone).

Young didn't play much three at all last season, and even the previous year, he seemed to be more productive at the four...so I'm curious to watch Philly run with him at the three. Don't think they'll start Wright, but who knows.

Hawes will be playing PF this season according to Doug, so...the lineup is probably looking like

C- Bynum

PF- Hawes

SF- Richardson(or Thad)

SG- Turner

PG- Holiday

• Owner

J-Rich will more than likely be at the two. Turner will need to move up and play the three, if Young is going to be a four.

Not really sure what they will do, though. Turner has a point-forward feel to him, so it wouldn't surprise me if they did try him at the three this upcoming season, especially after losing Iggy...but then you're probably starting J-Rich at the two.

Sixers are definitely improved as oppose to last year, and they had a solid team last year. I love Igoudala's game from a neutral fan standpoint, always thought he was just a really nice all-around player for Philly.

I think a lot of this just rests on guys like Thaddeus Young, Evan Turner, and Jrue Holiday...How good are they going to be? If they can develop into really good players and fit well with the rest of the roster, Bynum included, I see the Sixers as a top team in the East. If these guys don't play well for the majority of the season, Philly is still a playoff team obviously, but I don't see them in the top tier.

Edited by JYD
  • Like 1

I see no way Hawes plays PF. Doug is smarter than that. I am sure there's a reason he said what he said, but there's just no way...

With that said, now I really wish we'd have kept Brand.

I still think Richardson will still see time at the 3 regardless, since Doug likes to go small sometimes.

I see no way Hawes plays PF. Doug is smarter than that. I am sure there's a reason he said what he said, but there's just no way...

With that said, now I really wish we'd have kept Brand.

I don't see it either, but you never know...

And well, we just got to hope Moultrie turns out to be a steal.

• Like 1

Philly did a great job bringing in Young and Wright as floor spacers, but in order for them to be successful (especially Young), Bynum will need to develop as a passer. He's going to be seeing a lot of double teams, if he's unable to make the pass out of the paint, this offense won't be as good as expected. Turner and Holiday will also need to step up as shooters.

This was an elite defensive unit last year, and while they lost some of that with the departure of Iguodala, the front office definitely made the smart decision realizing you can't win without a sound halfcourt offense.

I actually really don't know what to expect from Philly with Bynum.

Sure, on paper adding a center like Bynum to a team like Philly who desperately lacked low post scoring is a perfect match.

However, Bynum is at his best in a slowed down, half court game. The rest of the Sixers main pieces (Holiday, Thad, Turner) all excel in a faster paced, free flowing offense. Will they be able to find a way to integrate Bynum into the offense that doesn't take away from the strengths of their other core players games?

On the surface it would make sense to think that they will look to push the break and then when that fails they'll pound the ball into Bynum, but that still leaves the problem of Turner and Holiday (more so Turner) not being as effective without the ball in their hands.

I also really question how Bynum is going to react to Doug Collins. I can definitely see the two of them clashing multiple times next season.

Now, despite my reservations, I do think that if everything works out that the Sixers improved their team. I am a huge Iguodala fan and think that the Sixers will sorely miss his perimeter defense (especially in the East where you have wings like Melo, Pierce, James, Johnson, Granger and Deng who you will meet in the playoffs) but Bynum gives their offense, which could get very predictable, a completely new dimension.

In Bynum's defense he did improve as a passer as the season progressed, but he still has a long way to go. It'll be interesting to see how to adjusts to being the focal point of the offense, he's still pretty raw offensively. I just hope for Philly's sake that he shows some more maturity because he doesn't have the luxury to "[expletive] around" on an inferior team.

Great move in terms of acquiring a star and giving your team a higher ceiling. The addition of Bynum definitely comes with some risks, especially considering he can bolt at the end of the year. However, if you want to be serious title contenders, this is the type of deal you have to make. With Iguodala, there was no chance they would compete for a championship in the future.

The roster doesn't make a lot of sense right now -- if Hawes is your starting four, then the offense is going to have to slow down, which doesn't really fit Philly's personnel. They could start off the game slow running through the post with Bynum, and then go with Thad Young at the 4 to push the pace and use Hawes at the 5 when going small at times. They could stand to move him sometime down the line or one of their other pieces, or even Bynum at the deadline if things don't work out as planned. They've still got a ways to go to be Finals contenders in the future, but Bynum gives the Sixers a valuable asset and a stronger inside/outside balance. Well worth any assumed risk, in my opinion.

who will play center when he is injured?

What did he miss 6 games last year?

Also I look at the East Ranks like this.....

Heat

Bulls

then a free for all between the following teams....

Knicks

Celts

6ers

Nets

Pacers

Really any of the above teams could take the 3 spot.

Also out of curiosity can a LA fan gimme a breakdown on how many games Bynum missed in his career?

Couldnt find the overall numbers.

Over the last five seasons Andrew Bynum has missed 130 of 394 of the Lakers' regular season games - roughly one-third - due primarily to injury.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-lakers-not-andrew-bynum-100-million-fans-215700253--nba.html

also has missed playoff time as well