The Dwight Howard trade..

JMEWLS

• Owner

Good that you made the trade before training camp started.

Absolutely bad that you took the pieces you did.

I know I haven't been a loyal fan of Andrew Bynum, but if there was any chance the Magic could have gotten him + a couple of picks, they should have went for it...even if they weren't confident in him re-signing after the summer.

Without Drew, the Houston deal (if it was even real...who knows now) would have been nice, and if you consider what Orlando is going to get, you could say the Brooklyn deal was better as well.

I'm not one to sugarcoat anything, even if it involves my team. I can't say the Lakers didn't "pay" for Howard, though, because Bynum is the second-best center in the NBA and is a legitimate all-star...but in the four-team deal, all things considered, Orlando came out of it limping.

• Like 1

Yup...Real Deal is right. As reported to the fans (without any true inside knowledge of all these neogatations) it seemed as though Orlando passed up MANY better deals than this in regards to what they got for DH12...

Really surprised they ended up with so little, but I think they put themselves in this situation. The Nets deal was probably the best offer, and it was reported they didn't accept.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Final Nets offer Orlando rejected in July: Lopez, Humphries (1 year, $9.6M), Brooks, 4 unprotected No. 1's for Howard, JRich, Duhon, Clark.

Wow, magic messed up. They didn't even get rid of Hedo. At least they made three other teams look a lot better.

The Houston deal fell through because they signed their rookies. And because we're doing a complete rebuild the only good thing coming out of that trade was Humphries expiring 1 year deal, Brooks and the future picks... Lopez is a burden.

I'll post what I did on another forum because I can't be bothered rewritting. But after sleeping, the trade really isn't that amazingly bad. Hate all you want but we did what we wanted to do and we've got flexibility for the future.

So it's official. Magic officially get:

Aaron Afflalo, Al Harrington, Mo Harkless, Nikola Vucevic, Josh McRoberts, Christian Eyenga + Multiple First round picks.

Alright, so Al Harrington after this season is only owed 50% of his last two years. I'm guessing that the Magic buy him out or something?

Hedo Turkoglu I guess was staying because he's a good trading piece come next season because it's obvious we're prolonging this rebuilding period to a space of 2 years. I'd imagine that a team that wants cap relief and still a decent role player will make a trade for him.

Josh McRobert's contract is ending at the end of this season so that's more money off the books unless we resign him. Which we may do.

I sure as hell hope that Afflalo balls this season, his gonna have the opportunity to potentially be the top guy (unless Jameer Nelson) takes over the reigns. Lemme mention this though guys after a little research - he averaged 19 ppg shooting 55% and 45% 3pt in the last 20 or so games, that's some pretty mean stats.

Harkless better be a beast, I hope he actually starts. Him/Afflalo I'm hearing are going to be a good perimeter defensive duo, I'm guess he's gonna have all the opportunity in the world.

Vucevic I haven't seen play so can't really comment on him.

I guess I'm changing my mind, the trade isn't that bad. We get rid of Duhon/JRich's contract and we get some young talent and draft picks. Was that not the original plan? Plus we've got a little flexibility in our cap. By the end of next season we should be way under the cap. And have 2 top 5 draft picks under our belt. Really looks like we are following the whole Thunder perspective on things. I hope everything pans out.

Edited by JMEWLS

The Houston deal fell through because they signed their rookies. And because we're doing a complete rebuild the only good thing coming out of that trade was Humphries expiring 1 year deal, Brooks and the future picks... Lopez is a burden.

I'll post what I did on another forum because I can't be bothered rewritting. But after sleeping, the trade really isn't that amazingly bad. Hate all you want but we did what we wanted to do and we've got flexibility for the future.

So it's official. Magic officially get:

Aaron Afflalo, Al Harrington, Mo Harkless, Nikola Vucevic, Josh McRoberts, Christian Eyenga + Multiple First round picks.

Alright, so Al Harrington after this season is only owed 50% of his last two years. I'm guessing that the Magic buy him out or something?

Hedo Turkoglu I guess was staying because he's a good trading piece come next season because it's obvious we're prolonging this rebuilding period to a space of 2 years. I'd imagine that a team that wants cap relief and still a decent role player will make a trade for him.

Josh McRobert's contract is ending at the end of this season so that's more money off the books unless we resign him. Which we may do.

I sure as hell hope that Afflalo balls this season, his gonna have the opportunity to potentially be the top guy (unless Jameer Nelson) takes over the reigns. Lemme mention this though guys after a little research - he averaged 19 ppg shooting 55% and 45% 3pt in the last 20 or so games, that's some pretty mean stats.

Harkless better be a beast, I hope he actually starts. Him/Afflalo I'm hearing are going to be a good perimeter defensive duo, I'm guess he's gonna have all the opportunity in the world.

Vucevic I haven't seen play so can't really comment on him.

I guess I'm changing my mind, the trade isn't that bad. We get rid of Duhon/JRich's contract and we get some young talent and draft picks. Was that not the original plan? Plus we've got a little flexibility in our cap. By the end of next season we should be way under the cap. And have 2 top 5 draft picks under our belt. Really looks like we are following the whole Thunder perspective on things. I hope everything pans out.

Long story short you guys got the short end of the stick ? :wallbash3:

King's offer was way better than the one you guys ended up with.... ;)

Edited by Smoke

A trade could have been agreed upon and then executed in late August. Houston had a trade on the table involving their rookies late in the Dwightmare but for whatever reason, Hennigan preferred the Afflalo package.

Put it this way.

The Magic traded the best player, didn't receive either the 2nd or 3rd best player traded and took on arguably the two worst contracts in Harrington and Afflalo.

I like Afflalo, but his PER is below league average and he makes around $8M a season for another 3 years if I'm not mistaken.

That alone should tell you what to think of this trade.

EDIT: I actually forgot about Richardson, so they took on arguably 2 of the 3 worst contracts.

The bottom line is Orlando will be in contention for a top 5 pick for the next couple years. As long as they didn't do anything to jeopardize that, I'm fine. Of course, this leaves a lot up to chance in the lottery, but without Dwight Howard, the only way to build is through the draft, and thank God they dealt him before the season so that they can start the rebuilding process with a high draft pick after the first season without him.

Success in rebuilding is all about obtaining assets. While you may miss out on a piece like Andrew Bynum, a high draft pick that could become Shabazz Muhammad, Nerlens Noel, or Cody Zeller could prove to be just as valuable in the long run. The Magic will go through a difficult rebuilding year to watch, but they will be "rewarded" if they go through the growing pains. I'd prefer to get a proven player through the Howard trade, as the OKC model depends to an extent on luck, but things could be worse. Example: the package offered to New Orleans last year that Stern vetoed. It could be worse.

Lopez did not necessarily have to end up in Orlando. There were rumored scenarios where a third team took him. The Nets were offering immediate cap relief. The Magic have to wait some time in this deal to receive that advantage, and it isn't even the same amount of relief. The Houston deal was far better than this one as well. But as I said, the Magic FO was asking for this sort of ending after rejecting all the deals that had been put on the table. There isn't really any way to support the reasoning behind the stubbornness with the Nets. They were determined not to grant Dwight his wish and to get back at the Nets for reportedly meeting with Howard without Orlando's permission.

The picks the Magic landed are heavily protected. As for this tanking procedure, the next two draft classes, according to what I've read, are less than impressive. And I, like most, do not see the point of landing Afflalo and Harrington. There is no point in adding veterans with bulky contracts like that until you have your foundation of youth in place. Hennigan's trying to justify this during yesterday's presser was comical. "We didn’t make this deal for tomorrow."

• Like 1

Great move if they got talent back it would screw with their chances of winning the lottery

Magic made the call to go on tanking mode for 2 seasons

Ya'll can laugh all you want but when they get Andrew Wiggins and some other beast

they'll be the ones laughing

In this league you gotto crawl before you Ball

Great move if they got talent back it would screw with their chances of winning the lottery

Magic made the call to go on tanking mode for 2 seasons

Ya'll can laugh all you want but when they get Andrew Wiggins and some other beast

they'll be the ones laughing

In this league you gotto crawl before you Ball

And what if they tank and still don't get great picks in the lottery?.....

Edited by Guru

And what if they tank and still don't get great picks in the lottery?.....

gotto take chances in this league

getting mediocre talent and winning 30 games will just add to the rebuild times

suck for 2 years and clear cap room to go along with 2 top 5 picks then BOOOOOOMMMMM

your right back on top of things

gotto take chances in this league

getting mediocre talent and winning 30 games will just add to the rebuild times

suck for 2 years and clear cap room to go along with 2 top 5 picks then BOOOOOOMMMMM

your right back on top of things

You're living in a fantasy world. It takes a ridiculous amount of luck, excellent scouts, and an elite GM to follow the OKC or SA model.

Tanking is easier said than done. The team will lose a ridiculous amount of revenue, the fans will turn their back on the team, and there is no guarantee that the team will actually get better.

You might get lucky and turn into an elite team like OKC but more than likely the Magic will end up like the Bobcats, Kings, Bucks, etc.

Edited by Guru

You're living in a fantasy world. It takes a ridiculous amount of luck, excellent scouts, and an elite GM to follow the OKC or SA model.

Tanking is easier said than done. The team will lose a ridiculous amount of revenue, the fans will turn their back on the team, and there is no guarantee that the team will actually get better.

You might get lucky and turn into an elite team like OKC but more than likely the Magic will end up like the Bobcats, Kings, Bucks, etc.

The Magic would end up like them regardless and if they aquired Bynum or any big name player they would have complained or bolted.

If they clared cap space in 2013 why bother? the top free agents chris paul or dwight would not sign with them or bynum for that matter

about 3 years of solid tanking, and get lucky on 2-3 picks and your in

they don't play in a big city so it's not like they have a great fanbase to begin with and after they start winning people will come back in bunches

plus harkless, vujacic, affalo and the 3 1st round picks will go great with Andrew Wiggins and the top 5-10 picks of the next 2 years after.

Get solid role players and tank >>> get great value who would bolt out

Edited by TheNotoriousBANG

The Magic would end up like them regardless and if they aquired Bynum or any big name player they would have complained or bolted.

If they clared cap space in 2013 why bother? the top free agents chris paul or dwight would not sign with them or bynum for that matter

about 3 years of solid tanking, and get lucky on 2-3 picks and your in

they don't play in a big city so it's not like they have a great fanbase to begin with and after they start winning people will come back in bunches

plus harkless, vujacic, affalo and the 3 1st round picks will go great with Andrew Wiggins and the top 5-10 picks of the next 2 years after.

Get solid role players and tank >>> get great value who would bolt out

Haha, you are severely overrating the picks that they got in the deal.

http://ht.ly/cU7va

You're telling me that you think those picks aren't garbage?

Edited by Guru