2012-2013 College Basketball Game Discussion Thread

Built Ford Tough

Safe to say that Kevin Pangos' shooting slump has come to a close. He had 31 points on 10-13 FG (7-10 from 3) the Friday against against Baylor and in the 1st half against Oklahoma State he has 18 points on 6-9 FG (3-5 from 3).

Prior to the Baylor game he was averaging 9.9 ppg on 37.8 FG% and 36% from 3. I was surprised to see him struggling shooting the ball so much (hadn't watched any Zags games prior ) when I saw them show his shooting woes against the Bears since I know how good of a shooter he is. Glad to see his stroke coming back to him.

On another note, Gonzaga really struggled with the Cowboys athleticism. Once OK State made the adjustment to really pressure the ball it completely ruined any and all offense that Gonzaga got, aside from Pangos' hot shooting. The Zags had built a 10 or so point lead but they could barely even get the ball to the 3 point line against the quicker, longer, more athletic Cowboy players. That is defintiely going to be the key in the 2nd half.

Few is going to have make some serous adjustments in the 2nd half or else I can see OK State breaking this game open, which is weird to say since they are leading the game and were the better team for much of that first half. They can't rely on Pangos hitting bail out jumpers late in the shot clock. Almost everything they've gotten on offense has come directly from him (has 4 assists to go along with his 18 points). It is also going to be crucial for Olynyk to stay on the floor in the 2nd half.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canada represent!

Pangos with 23 points, 4 boards, 5 assists and 2 steals on 7-12 shooting.

Olynyk with 21 points (all in the 2nd half) and 9 boards on 7-12 shooting.

Pangos hit the two free throws to ice the game after Marcus Smart (who was awesome in this game as well with 23/4/6 on 9-15) missed two in a row that would've tied the game at 65. He also had a really nice drive and kick to Bell for the 3 that put Zaga up by 2 with 30 seconds left. He didn't score the ball much in that half, but I was impressed by the way he controlled the tempo and ran the offense, ensuring that Olynyk was getting the ball.

I mentioned in the above post how Gonzaga needed Olynyk to stay on the floor and, even though he ended up fouling out, he was huge in the half. He really took it to the Cowboys down low. Him and Harris have some really nice chemistry on that high-low big-to-big feed. Oklahoma State just didn't have an answer for his size and skill not only down low, but on the perimeter as well. Very nice game.

Also, I have to give it up for Few. Great job of switching up the game plan in the 2nd half and making sure to work inside/out and through their bigs. Their guards did a great job of setting brush screens to allow them to establish position down low and they also did a much better job of feeding the post. I thought it was a very well coached 2nd half for Few.

EDIT: In a somewhat related note, I just realized now that I actually played against Kelly Olynyk when he was playing for the South Kamloops Titans in high school. Not only did I play against him, I was actually matched up with him as well. He dropped like 45/20 on me. :lol:

After the game I decided to look up what high school he went to. I knew was from Kamloops and I remembered playing against a dominant big man from South Kamloops and after looking up where Olynyk went to high school, I realized it was actually him. I doubt anybody really cares, but I thought it was pretty cool.

Canada represent!

EDIT: In a somewhat related note, I just realized now that I actually played against Kelly Olynyk when he was playing for the South Kamloops Titans in high school. Not only did I play against him, I was actually matched up with him as well. He dropped like 45/20 on me. :lol:

After the game I decided to look up what high school he went to. I knew was from Kamloops and I remembered playing against a dominant big man from South Kamloops and after looking up where Olynyk went to high school, I realized it was actually him. I doubt anybody really cares, but I thought it was pretty cool.

Ha that's pretty awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

What an absolutely crazy finish to the Gonzaga/Butler game. I can't believe that just happened.

For those of you who didn't watch it, Barlow (the walk-on who hit the game winner in overtime against Indiana in December) hits a floater to give Butler a 1 point lead with 20 seconds left. On the next possession Pangos drives into the paint and looks to be in no-man's land after leaving his feet, but somehow manages to find Olynyk with a wrap-around pass (around 2 defenders no less) and Olynyk gets fouled. He drains both free throws to give Gonzaga a 1 point lead with 4.6 seconds left. Butler throws the ball to Barlow at halfcourt, but he ends up travelling and turning the ball over, which should've sealed the game, right?

Wrong. On the ensuing inbounds, David Stockton throws an absolutely awful rainbow pass that goes directly to Roosevelt Jones (for those of you who don't know, Jones plays for Butler, not Gonzaga). Jones then dribbles down the court and hits a 10 foot runner to give Butler the 1 point win. To make it even crazier, Jones literally released the ball with 0.1 seconds left on the game clock.

A crazy ending to a fantastic game. Easily the best college game of the year so far. As much as I enjoyed the UCLA/Mizzou and Zona/Florida games, they don't even hold a candle to this game.

• Owner

LOL that was so close...and I wasn't rooting for anyone in that game, yet I was jumping up and down like I was a massive Butler fan. If the Zags would've hit that shot, I would have done the same thing, lol.

KU almost lost today, to Texas. Stupid KU. They are ranked #4, but they get to where they nearly blow games because of poor decisions and turnovers, JUST like they did last season. They had five consecutive turnovers that led to a huge run by Texas, down 11 in the second half to them...but they score so well, and they play defense when they need to, and it always works out for them in the end.

It helps that Texas struggles to close out games.

This was our season last year, too, and we marched to the national championship, haha. Just how we play, I guess.

LOL that was so close...and I wasn't rooting for anyone in that game, yet I was jumping up and down like I was a massive Butler fan. If the Zags would've hit that shot, I would have done the same thing, lol.

It seems like the curse of my favourite teams losing in devestating fashion extends to college basketball as well. I swear, I'm a jinx or something. :lol:

I get home and put on the Kansas/K-State game so that I can finally get my first full extended look at McLemore and the first thing I see is him getting a charge, which also happened to be his 2nd foul and force him to sit for the rest of the half. Of course. :lol:

I think Noel and McLemore (and no, it is not just because I watched the two of them play tonight) are my two favourite prospects in this draft. I really like Anthony Bennett, but I do have some tweener concerns about him and am having Derrick Williams and Michael Beasley flashbacks with him. Although to be fair, I was never high on Williams heading into the draft. Anyways, enough rambling about the past.

I've been high on Noel since the start of the season and his play so far this year has done nothing to make me sour on him. I don't think he ever becomes much more than a Joakim Noah type offensively, but I think he has elite potential on the defensive end. He has some of the quickest hands I've seen from a big man in a long, long time. I think you can make a valid case that Noel has the quickest hands of any player in college basketball. His shot blocking prowess may not be as prolific as Anthony Davis last year, but he still has a huge presence defensively and is elite in his own right. He is averaging 6 blocks a game in SEC play (5 games) and, most importantly, he is becoming much more disciplined. Earlier in the year he was always biting on fakes trying to block everything but lately he has calmed down and is actually blocking more shots since then.

On offense I really like his potential as a high post passer. If he can develop a face up jumper and dribble drive game to compliment that, he can be a very valuable pice offensively. He'll never be a guy you run an offense through, but I do think he has potential to be more than just a lob finishing garbage man.

As for McLemore, I think he is my favourite Kansas prospect ever (too young to really follow Paul Pierce as a prospect). His combination of athleticism and shooting ability is definitely unique. As many of you know, I really liked Bradley Beal (who, by the way was an AAU teammate of McLemore's) and I think McLemore is basically a better version of him. I really like how comfortable he is without the ball in his hands, which is usually a glaring weakness for many of these young prospects. If McLemore develops a more refined on-ball game, I think he can be an Eric Gordon type of player in the NBA. I still need to see more of him before I can comfortably put him ahead of Noel, but I really, really like the limited action I have seen from him so far.

By the way, I think John Calipari goes to sleep dreaming about next season and having Andrew and Aaron Harrison in his backcourt instead of Ryan Harrow and Archie Goodwin. Harrow is just awful and Goodwin is so wild and sporadic. Their guard play against Alabama tonight was atrocious and is easily the bggest reason for the loss in my opinion. Harrow could barely even make an entry pass and Goodwin was just recklessly throwing his body in the paint hoping for calls.

Louisville on a serious slide. Lost 3 straight games since being ranked #1. The Syracuse and Georgetown losses aren't that bad since both are very good teams, but the Villanova loss the other day hurts. Their confidence looks absolutely shot right now.

Speaking of Villanove, they just upset Syracuse today. That makes it two wins against top 5 teams in the same week. This is the first time since 2001 that an unranked team knocked off two top 5 teams in the same week. Impressive week for Jay Wright. he may have punched his ticket to the NCAA Tournament with this week alone.

UCLA is so hard to get a grasp on.

They'll look fantastic against ranked opponents like Arizona or Missouri but get completely controlled and dominated against lesser quality opponents like Arizona State. Nothing agaisnt ASU because they are a solid team, but they aren't Arizona or a national championship contender.

The one thing, other than inconsistency, that will prevent this team from making any real noise this year is going to be their lack of an interior presence. Today was something like the 8th or 9th straight game where they gave up at least 10 offensive boards. Jordan Bachynski absolutely wrecked them inside all game long. He is averaging 10/7 for the season and went off for 22 points, 15 rebounds and 6 blocks today. The points and rebounds were both new career highs for him.

Has anybdy done more for his draft stock than Victor Oladipo this year? He was mentioned as a likely 2nd round pick coming into the year and he played himself into the mid-first round and I've even heard some rumblings about late lottery. He has easily been the best Hoosier this year as far as I'm concerned.

Zeller was pretty bad for much of the game, but he came up with the two biggest plays of the game. Scoring that driving layup to make it a two possession game and than drawing the charge to maintain the two possession lead with under a minute left.

Really looking forward to the Michigan/Indiana game next Saturday. Michigan is the only team in the conference that can run with the Hoosiers so I expect a very fast paced game.

Zeller was pretty bad for much of the game, but he came up with the two biggest plays of the game. Scoring that driving layup to make it a two possession game and than drawing the charge to maintain the two possession lead with under a minute left.

Really looking forward to the Michigan/Indiana game next Saturday. Michigan is the only team in the conference that can run with the Hoosiers so I expect a very fast paced game.

that burke kid is nice tho... i love his game.

Kansas looked awful tonight against WVU, but because it was WVU they were playing, they'll still manage to win the game by near double digits (up 7 with 2 minutes left when I turned it off). Really sloppy offensive execution from the Jayhawks. Nobody was really doing anything and they were throwing the ball away like they didn't even care.

I love the way they defend, but I'm starting to really question their offense when it comes to single game elimination tournaments. They go through stretches where they look absolute dreadful on that end of the floor and if they run into a team who will be able to put points on the board regardless of how good Kansas' defense is (not necessarily efficiently, but still manage to get into the high 60's/low 70's), they really need to avoid these kind of extended stretches of poor play.

• Owner

Kansas looked awful tonight against WVU, but because it was WVU they were playing, they'll still manage to win the game by near double digits (up 7 with 2 minutes left when I turned it off). Really sloppy offensive execution from the Jayhawks. Nobody was really doing anything and they were throwing the ball away like they didn't even care.

I love the way they defend, but I'm starting to really question their offense when it comes to single game elimination tournaments. They go through stretches where they look absolute dreadful on that end of the floor and if they run into a team who will be able to put points on the board regardless of how good Kansas' defense is (not necessarily efficiently, but still manage to get into the high 60's/low 70's), they really need to avoid these kind of extended stretches of poor play.

No different than last season, though, with Thomas Robinson coming off the bench to being a starter...and Tyshawn Taylor as Mr. Turnover Machine.  That team wasn't supposed to make it out of the Sweet 16, to be honest.

But, really, at least in my opinion, that is very telling of how great of a coach Bill Self is.