2012-2013 College Basketball Game Discussion Thread

Built Ford Tough

The more I see of McLemore the more and more I sour on him.

Don't get me wrong, I still like him more than most prospects in this draft, but I think I got a bit too carried away in my evaluation of him because I happened to always catch games when he was playing well.

His lack of ball skills and one-on-one ability would make me a bit worried using a 1st overall pick on him. He has not impressed me at all over the last month or so in any area other than hitting open shots and moving without the rock. Do you really want to use a 1st overall pick on a guy like that, though?

Smart was brutal as well, but at least with him you know that even if his shot isn't falling you know you are going to get rebounds, passing, solid defense and a willingness to want the ball in his hands with the game on the line.

By the way, I completely agree with you on Withey. He is easily the MVP of that team and they'd be in serious trouble without him.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Owner

McLemore really does have this Ray Allen feel to him...and that's not saying he's going to be the star that Allen was (because many people don't understand just how good Ray Ray was when he was carrying teams in his younger years), but that's what I'm seeing in regards to his style.  Problem is, he's not "Ray Allen good" when it comes to shooting the rock, and I don't think he'll have that franchise player presence, that primacy, unless he starts dominating with the ball in his hands.

Another year at KU would do him good, but I doubt he goes for that, unfortunately.

And wow, Miami just had their asses handed to them by Wake.

UNC has looked much better since Williams decided to go small and start Hairston. It was after the blowout against Miami that he decided to make the change and they've gone 3-1 since then. Their lone loss was a 5 point loss against Duke in Durham and the 3 wins have all been double digit wins (12 against Virgina, 12 against Georgia Tech and 11 against State). Hariston is averaging 18.5 points and 6 rebounds on 45 FG%.

It probably took Williams too long to finally abandon his double post motion offense and go with the 4 guard lineup (even he admits he probably should've made the move earlier and is still adjusting to the lineup), but at least he finally made the change. If UNC can close out ACC play going 3-1 (they play @ Clemson, VS FSU, @ Maryland and VS. Duke) they'll likely lock up an at-large bid (assuming nothing crazy happens in the ACC tournament), which is something I didn't expect 2 weeks ago. I thought they were NIT bound.

UNC has looked much better since Williams decided to go small and start Hairston. It was after the blowout against Miami that he decided to make the change and they've gone 3-1 since then. Their lone loss was a 5 point loss against Duke in Durham and the 3 wins have all been double digit wins (12 against Virgina, 12 against Georgia Tech and 11 against State). Hariston is averaging 18.5 points and 6 rebounds on 45 FG%.

It probably took Williams too long to finally abandon his double post motion offense and go with the 4 guard lineup (even he admits he probably should've made the move earlier and is still adjusting to the lineup), but at least he finally made the change. If UNC can close out ACC play going 3-1 (they play @ Clemson, VS FSU, @ Maryland and VS. Duke) they'll likely lock up an at-large bid (assuming nothing crazy happens in the ACC tournament), which is something I didn't expect 2 weeks ago. I thought they were NIT bound.

Yeah, they are definitely a tourney team. Still have talent. Not a good Carolina team for their standards but they aren't that bad. Definitely playing better

If NC St wasn't so awful yesterday we would've won smh at leslie

I think that was a very important win for Gonzaga against BYU tonight. Not that it was some huge showdown for first place in the WCC or something (although Gonzaga did clinch the conference with the win) but because it had been so long since they'd been tested. Since that heartbreaking loss to Butler at Hinkle, Gonzaga had reeled off 10 straight wins and had have outscored their opponents 827-545 during those 10 games.

I think getting a hard fought win on the road in a hostile enviroment against a solid opponent in a very physical, tournament style game this late in the season is going to be great preperation for when the tournament does actually start.

I think that was a very important win for Gonzaga against BYU tonight. Not that it was some huge showdown for first place in the WCC or something (although Gonzaga did clinch the conference with the win) but because it had been so long since they'd been tested. Since that heartbreaking loss to Butler at Hinkle, Gonzaga had reeled off 10 straight wins and had have outscored their opponents 827-545 during those 10 games.

I think getting a hard fought win on the road in a hostile enviroment against a solid opponent in a very physical, tournament style game this late in the season is going to be great preperation for when the tournament does actually start.

yeah. gotta like the Zags in the tournament. been one of the most consistent teams all year.

Watching the Lousiville/Syracuse game today got me thinking. The ACC is going to be unreal. Adding Syracuse, Lousiville, Pitt and Notre Dame is going to make that conference nasty.

Can you imagine the conference play? Every night you are going to have marquee matchups between some of the biggest names in college basketball. The conference tournament every year is going to be March Madness-lite.

Maybe it is the homer in me, but I wouldn't want to play this UNC team in the tournament. I know FSU isn't very good outside of Snaer, but this new stretch offense that Roy is running where he has 4 shooters surrounding McAdoo is very prolific when you have Bullock and Hairston (and even Paige, who, despite the numbers, has a nice stroke) knocking down their perimter shots. They can break a game wide open with their shooting and then add to that the added space McAdoo has to fully utilize his athleticism (since that is basically all he is at this point, an athlete), and you have a great recipe to upset some higher seeded teams in the tournament.

Not to mention the extra space also gives Paige and Strickland a lot more room to drive and either finish or dish if the opposing defense helps off the shooters.

By no means am I predicting another Elite Eight appearance or anything like that, but I wouldn't want to be a top 3 seed that has UNC in my bracket.

Should be interesting to see how the new small ball lineup of UNC's does against a legit 7 footer in Alex Len. Will their pressure on the perimeter prevent the Terps, who struggle enough feeding the post as is, make up for the size McAdoo will be giving up against Len?

It is also worth noting that if UNC wins that game, they'll go into the regular season finale against Duke with a chance to tie them (or even surpass them if Duke loses their next game) in ACC play. Wouldn't that be something considering how much publicity Duke has gotten and how UNC was written off by many (myself included) so long ago.

Anyways, now onto the Michigan/Michigan State game. Should be a good one.

Vander Blue hit a game winner at the buzzer in overtime against St. John's to give Marquette a share, along with G'Town, of the Big East title. Who saw that coming at the start of the year?

UCLA also won the Pac-12 crown outright by beating Washington and Oregon laying an egg against Utah for their 2nd straight loss.

Miami became the first team other than Duke or UNC to win the ACC crown since something like 2002.

Speaking of Miami and Duke, looking forward to that game tonight. UNC wins they finished tied for 2nd with Duke in ACC play.

• Owner

Kansas wins their 9th consecutive Big 12 championship with K-State losing to Oklahoma State. Now all we need to do is beat Baylor to make the championship ours alone.

I think splitting championships is ignorant, by the way. We beat K-State both times this season, and will have the better overall record...but they may get a share of the title if we lose to Baylor? BS. Never understood this.

• Owner

I expected a much bigger game from both Kansas AND UNC today.

Kansas just came in content with winning the Big 12 championship, and acted like they didn't give a shit if they had to share it with K-State...which I absolutely hate.

We beat the hell out of Baylor the first meeting, held them to just 44 points.  Now, we get crushed?  Just dumb.

The UNC performance wasn't too unexpected.

As they say, live by the three, die by the three.

This UNC team isn't going to win any games when they make 1 three, let alone against a team like Duke. They don't have the interior scoring or defense to be able to compensate for nights when their shots aren't falling.

That is what makes them a dangerous team in the tournament because when they're hitting their shots they can run you out of the gym, but it is also what will prevent them from making a deep run as well.

Basically, in a way, they are Mizzou last year.

• Owner

Guess it makes a lot of sense because, while Duke isn't incredible on the defensive end, they are very good defending threes.  I don't see very many teams go off on them from the perimeter, and they close out well.

Sometimes, they step up and defend the perimeter a bit too much, and open up the mid-range and the paint...probably where they lose a lot of games...but I believe they are somewhere in the top 10 in 3PT defense, probably top five.

I never really thought about it until Kellog just mentioned it, but this game is absolutely huge for Indiana. If they lose this game it could be the difference between being the #1 seed in the Indianapolis bracket or being the #1 seed in a different bracket.

These final 6 minutes could easily have Final Four implications.

Burke's finishing around the rim is suspect, but man, he is so good at getting into the paint. He is being guarded by arguably the best perimeter defender in all of college basketball in Oladipo, yet he has managed to shed him 3 times in a row and each time he has done it with a different dribble move.

The first was a wicked crossover, the second was a nice change of pace hesitation move and the third was a nasty spin to his right. He only managed to convert on the second one, but it is opening up second chance opportunities for McGary and Morgan down low.

70-66 Michigan with a minute left and the ball, as well as the possession title. They win this game they get a share of the Big 10 title and the 3rd seed in the Big 10 Tourny. They lose it they get the 5th seed.

Indiana wins they get sole possession of the Big 10 crown and likely get to stay in Indiana for much of their tourny.

Huge stakes at play here.

WTF?

I quickly flip the tv to the Raptors game after Burke got fouled and when I turn it back I see Indiana celebrating. I can't believe I just missed that ending, I can't believe how badly Michigan choked away that game at the line and I can't believe you give up a wide open layup at the buzzer.

Wow.