Andrew Bynum out until January

Phightins

Just posted this in the random thoughts thread, but I figure it could use it's own thread. Not the news I was hoping for.

If the current prognosis holds unchanged, Bynum would be cleared to resume normal basketball activity by approximately December 10. In addition, the team estimates that Bynum in turn will need an additional 1-4 weeks thereafter for conditioning, training and practice before being able to resume game play with significant minutes.

http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/andrew-bynum-update

“I had a little bit of a setback,” Bynum said. “Just working through some issues with the right knee, I kind of have a mirror thing going on with the left knee. I don’t know what’s going on. The doctors are saying it’s a weakened cartilage state, so we kind of wait, I guess. We can’t do anything. I just have to wait for the cartilage to get strong.”

Bynum did say he targeted Dec. 10 as a possibility, with one to four weeks of basketball-related activity to follow, pushing his much-anticipated debut to anywhere from mid-to-late December to as late as mid-January.

“It’s the same exact spot (as the right knee) with the cartilage,” Bynum said. “Just doing routine things and it started swelling up. No blunt-force injury or anything like that. It’s the same timetable still.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/injured-sixers-center-andrew-bynum-says-he-had-setback-in-return-from-knee-injury/2012/11/16/3089fc3a-304b-11e2-af17-67abba0676e2_story.html

Am I the only one that hardly gives a piss about this?

Think of the horrible contract they got rid of in Iggy.

And its not like they have to resign him.

If anything he has an injury plagued year then signs for less next year on a 1 year contract to prove himself.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/injured-sixers-center-andrew-bynum-says-he-had-setback-in-return-from-knee-injury/2012/11/16/3089fc3a-304b-11e2-af17-67abba0676e2_story.html

If anything he has an injury plagued year then signs for less next year on a 1 year contract to prove himself.

Don't be surprised if a team signs him to an insanely stupid amount though. Part of me wonders if the 76ers and Magic knew about this before the trade and Philly was more willing to take the gamble since they already have a solid core in place and can keep in the playoff hunt until he is healthy, whereas the Magic would basically have nothing for Dwight except another soon-to-be free agent.

Yeah, no second-guessing the trade. It was 100% the right move, although it just sucks that it's not working out thus far. As we both know from watching this team for the past ten years or so, they had to take a risk. I've had enough of watching this team stuck in neutral. I love Iguodala, but with that contract and with him as the "team leader", it was hard to see them taking the next step and legitimately contending. A healthy Bynum potentially changes all of those things. Easy to second guess it now, but the team had to take a risk like that.