Taking Charges

Paris

I've always thought this was a bail out play. i know some people won't agree with me, but man it's very irritating. it just bails people out who don't want to play defense. if a person literally runs you over, then that's a charge. but all this stepping in front of people just to fall to the ground is just ridiculous imo. i know most won't agree but i just had to get my frustration for " Taking Charges" out there, lol.

Edited by Paris

I've played a ball for a long ass time now and I can tell you that taking a charge is one of the most rewarding feelings you can have defensively. You're in the guys head so much that you know exactly where he's going before he does. Very rewarding feeling.

They call charges too often sometimes, but it seems any time you raise your arms above your shoulders they call you for a foul....

The charge is a very useful play and is basically an art, which is what Nitro was alluding to. Jared Jeffries was a guy who absolutely terrific at it. I miss that aspect of him on the Knicks, who very rarely take a charge now.

Charges are a huge part of the game as they keep control of reckless drives and over aggressive play. If you get beat to the spot you cant just go through the person, it makes you make a move. And taking a charge is a better play than any block ever could be, as it not only gives you the ball but it also gives the opposing player/team a foul.

Charges are a huge part of the game as they keep control of reckless drives and over aggressive play. If you get beat to the spot you cant just go through the person, it makes you make a move. And taking a charge is a better play than any block ever could be, as it not only gives you the ball but it also gives the opposing player/team a foul.

I learned from the best. Lol.

Truly taking a charge takes a lot of skill and guts. Problem now is that too many players can get away with terrible acting and get the call as a result of poor officiating, which is why I was actually pretty happy when the new rules to prevent flopping were introduced.