General Hockey Thread 2013

Built Ford Tough

It's 2013 now :winkglasses:

But yes, can't wait for this to get started. Some time between January 15th and 19th, supposedly. I heard rumors that if they start on the 19th (a Saturday), there would be almost a full slate of games with lots of rivalry matchups. That would be fun.

I heard its pretty much a given that they start the 15, but I could be wrong. I can't [expletive]ing wait though. I've missed the leafs so much. I have no idea what to expect from them this season either. They could be a playoff team or a bottom feeder. It's really hard to guess with how inconsistent they are. Also depends on if we get Luongo or another goalie.

Toronto fans...I am looking forward to seeing how the Schenn/JvR trade works out. We should keep a running log on here of our opinions/thoughts/whatever. My first thought, without having seen either of them play for their new teams, is that I strongly dislike the trade on the Flyers end. Hopefully Schenn proves me wrong! We will need big, big minutes out of him this season.

Edited by Phightins

Schenn is a guy you will probably love come playoffs. Easy to forget he is only 22, and he has lockdown potential. He might not get a ton of points, but when on his game, he almost always makes that first pass out of the zone right on the tape. He might have the worst shot I've ever seen by a guy his size lol.

It will definitely be interesting to see JvR when he is getting 20 minutes a night consistently. We're going to need big things from him moving forward on that contract.

If Schenn plays the way he played last year, your going to hate him. He has some of the worst hands in the league, and is a turnover machine when he is off his game. Like CMS said, he can be a great shutdown defence man when he's at his best and not trying to do too much. We'll definitely keep some kind of log on how each player plays this season. I'm excited to see JVR out there.

Apparently 48 games starting the 19th with training camps opening no earlier than this Saturday. Schedule reportedly coming out on Thursday or Friday. The Saturday is probably better. You can run games all day if you want (think NBA Christmas day), and put on rivalry games on all day.

Very exciting stuff regardless.

• Like 1

Apparently 48 games starting the 19th with training camps opening no earlier than this Saturday. Schedule reportedly coming out on Thursday or Friday. The Saturday is probably better. You can run games all day if you want (think NBA Christmas day), and put on rivalry games on all day.

Very exciting stuff regardless.

Starting on the Saturday with games all day would be awesome. At the same time though I'd kind of rather it start on the 15. The sooner the better for me right now. I'm dying to watch the leafs again.

• 2 weeks later...

Without Lundqvist, the Rangers are garbage.

With almost any other goalie in net, the Bruins put up at least five goals against that team.

Oh, you think taking the best player off of a team would make them significantly worse? You don't say...

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted Galchenyuk so bad at the draft.  I knew it was a pipe dream, but I was praying he'd fall to us.  Don't know how he doesn't go 2nd in that draft, even with the injury.  You just swing for the fences when you have a pick that high.  Draft a stay at home defenseman in the 2nd round.  Smh.

I wanted Galchenyuk so bad at the draft.  I knew it was a pipe dream, but I was praying he'd fall to us.  Don't know how he doesn't go 2nd in that draft, even with the injury.  You just swing for the fences when you have a pick that high.  Draft a stay at home defenseman in the 2nd round.  Smh.

Wait what does Galchenyuk have to do with drafting a stay at home defenseman in the second round? I wanted him badly too though. Still im very happy with Rielly who I think at the moment is the best offensive defenseman and arguably the best defenseman from the draft.

I am talking about Columbus taking Murray 2 over Gally.

I just don't think you take a solid defensemen over a guy with game breaker type of potential.

Oh I see what you meant. Yeah I think that was a horrible pick from them considering the position their franchise is in. They're kind of known for brutal draft picks though so I'm not surprised.