Eagles Hire Chip Kelly

Lkr

I don't think he'll be a good NFL coach at all to be honest. I think his stuff worked well in College, but I don't see a lot of the gimmicky offensive plays working. Like, for example, will he go for 2 in the first quarter? Or will his entire personality/profile as a coach change? It'll certainly be interesting seeing how his teams play and what characteristics his NFL team takes on compared to the characteristics of his Oregon teams.

I am super excited (although I know Smitty won't be :(). . I'm not sure I really buy the "his system worked in college but won't work in the NFL" argument right now, to be honest. It may be true but there is no way to know right now. Se seems like he is very good at adapting and thinking on his feet (something our last coach wasn't exactly good at), which makes me optimistic that he'll be able to transition well into the NFL. We'll see.

Also, I'm sure he is very familiar with Nick Foles, since he coached against him in the Pac 12. Makes me excited that he's willing to work with him (or so it seems).

I am super excited (although I know Smitty won't be :(). . I'm not sure I really buy the "his system worked in college but won't work in the NFL" argument right now, to be honest. It may be true but there is no way to know right now. Se seems like he is very good at adapting and thinking on his feet (something our last coach wasn't exactly good at), which makes me optimistic that he'll be able to transition well into the NFL. We'll see.

Also, I'm sure he is very familiar with Nick Foles, since he coached against him in the Pac 12. Makes me excited that he's willing to work with him (or so it seems).

I'm not sure what his system will look like. With the spread, spread option, gimmicky 2 pt conversions, etc. What will he coach like in the NFL? Will he change it? If so, what makes Chip Kelly unique and fit to be Head Coach of the Philadelphia Eagles? Basically my point is this - his success at Oregon has been based on his high-tempo, fast, spread offense with gimmicky features to his coaching style. Exciting? Yes. But, if he's going to amend it for the NFL game, what makes Chip, well, Chip?

Interesting comments he made on Nick Foles in 2011:

Kelly on Foles in 2011: “I’ll tell you what; I’m glad Nick Foles is graduating. I catch myself watching him in awe sometimes. …Nick is a hell of a football player. That kid’s a warrior. He’s as good as anyone in the country.”

Edited by JYD

Okay, Phightins you're gonna be shocked but I'm starting to warm up to this. :lol:

Saw a Ducks fan's perspective of the hire on the Eagles' boards and it kinda changed my opinion.

Here's the post:

So, as a long-time Oregon fan, who is also excited to see what Chip Kelly will do in the NFL, I have been reading your forum all day. Here are some thoughts from somebody who has followed Chip Kelly and what he did at Oregon closer than any of the national pundits who have been spewing opinions all day. I'm going to try and focus on stuff I haven't seen much about, because it's the kind of stuff I'd be interested in if he was coming to my team.

-He is a brilliant QB coach and evaluator. As a coach, he made Dennis Dixon (a guy who was an interception throwing, time-splitting head case his junior year) a Heisman Trophy favorite before his injury. He then made Jeremiah Masoli (a guy who is 5'10" on a good day and can't throw for crap) into a household name. He follows that by taking Darron Thomas (a solid talent at best...as evidenced by the lack of NFL interest) and making him into a collegiate star. And now this season, he finally has Marcus Mariota (a true talent and future NFL QB) and he becomes one of the top QB's in the country as a Freshman. One thing we quickly learned at Oregon is if Chip offered a QB (no matter what the recruiting "experts" said), then he is going to be a stud. Oregon was the first school to offer both Mariota and Johnny Manziel (and in fact both originally committed to Oregon before Texas A&M got into the picture). He also once had a verbal from Taj Boyd of Clemson. So, when it comes to quarterback, if Chip decides on Vick or Foles or brings in a Dixon (backup possibility) or Alex Smith or decides to draft someone, his track record would suggest he knows what he's doing.

-Two other quick points on QB's. He wants a passer who can run, not the other way around. Chip also stresses to his QB's that they should avoid taking unnecessary hits. Philosophy is first down, touchdown, get down. He wants them to be a threat in the read option game, but not to take a shot to pick up a few extra yards here and there. Though Marcus Mariota gained 700 yards rushing this season, I'd say he took about 2 big hits all season on running plays (took more than that in the pocket, but those happen no matter your offensive philosophy).

-He is known as Big Balls Chip because of his 4th down decision making. When he took over as head coach, he analyzed the mathmatical data that says coaches punt and kick field goals far more often than they should if they're trying to maximize points scored. Plus he just believes that going for it more often puts strain on your opponents and sets an aggressive tone for your team. I suspect he will be a little more conservative in the league, but that just means he won't go for it on 4th and 4 from his own 38 (did it multiple times this season) on the opening possession. I still think he will go for it on any 4th down of a manageable distance once his team crosses the 50.

-An athletic center is a key to doing all the things he likes to do with his offense. Oregon had Max Unger (all pro for Seattle this season) when Kelly arrived and now have a future NFL'er in Hronnis Grasu. These guys are used in a ton of different ways. They pull a ton, are expected to get to the second level often and are huge in the screen game. I'm not sure what the Eagles current center is like, but if he is athletic, that will be a big plus. Oregon had Jordan Holmes (solid, but not a stud) in between the two guys I mentioned and they were forced to scrap some of their most effective plays.

-He will often play multiple backs at the same time, as long as one has the ability to be a threat catching the ball. In his early years as OC this happened less because he didn't have that versatile back, but over the past 3 seasons, he found tons of ways to get combinations of LaMicheal James, Kenjon Barner, and DeAnthony Thomas on the field at the same time. This lead to huge matchup issues and headaches for opposing defenses. It seems Philly has some guys well suited for some of this.

-His offense is great for tight ends and he uses them in a myriad of ways. When he had Ed ****on (Ravens), he flexed him often because he was a great receiver and blocked well in space. With David Paulson (Steelers), he put him on the LOS more often because that's where he was most effective and now he has Colt Lyerla (crazy athlete) and used him all over the place.

-His Oregon teams basically never had a letdown. They didn't play close games against inferior opponents, they obliterated them and then played backups the entire second half. He was a master motivator and has, by all accounts, some of the most efficient/unique practices in football at any level. How that will translate is up to debate, but my money would be on him figuring out how to make it work with the Eagles.

I know this is a long post, but hopefully (for those that stuck with it) you got some interesting tidbits of information. If you have any questions I might be able to answer, I'll be checking back and will do my best to answer them.

• Like 1

I like the hiring. Offense should be humming under his regime. He loves speed and knows how to maximize talent. I could see DeSean, Maclin, and McCoy having monster seasons next year. I also think this probably means Vick will probably get another run with this team. Chip's always had a thing for fast qb's who can make plays with their legs.

Eagles are definitely headed in the right direction as long as they can get a good defensive coordinator now.