Can the Raptors make a serious push for the 8th seed?

Real Deal

• Owner

Now that Gay is on board...

Rudy Gay

Kyle Lowry

DeMar DeRozan

Jonas Valanciunas (isn't he returning soon?)

Andrea Bargnani?

They are currently 16-29, but now that Rondo is out, Boston (the 8th seed, at 21-23) is eventually going to struggle, and Philly is currently 18-26.

Andrew Bynum's return may ruin it, though...not sure.  I guess it depends on how he impacts the game, and if they can develop chemistry.  Philly is struggling big time, can't score and their defense has dropped off quite a bit, so you have to expect a big man as talented as Drew can come in and change that.  Who knows if he'll ever play, though.

if they do, it will be as much a product of the other teams as it will the raptors.  I would bet a no on it.  I am super curious to see how Rudy and Lowry do as the features of an offense though, especially Lowry.  Curious how we will play - we struggled bad when we tried to run earlier in the year, and played better when it was a grind it out type of game, but when you add a guy like Gay, and Lowry and Demar are your backcourt, how do you not run?  

No.

Especially if they're continuously bent over and raped by the refs on a nightly basis.

After the joke that was the Atlanta game, Toronto will be looking at apology number 3 from the league for screwing them out of a win with a horrendously bad call/no call in the final seconds of a game.

We've got to be closing in on an NBA record here, right? Think the Raptors will hit 5 apologies by season's end?

Boston is going to get that 8th seed as long as they keep the team they have now in tact. Garnett and Pierce are still clearly capable of carrying that team to the 8th seed.

• 2 weeks later...

No question about it - they can. I won't be surprised if they somehow make the 7th seed too.

You mean for next year, right? They have about a 0.1% chance of making the playoffs this year. An 8 game hole is hard enough to overcome at this junction of the season. Having to not only make up 8 games, but also leap frog 2 other teams in the process?

Not happening.

• Owner

A big part of this was all hinged on Boston tanking, but they are pulling the reverse-tank, and I didn't see that coming at all.  So much for this.

If Boston completely fell out of the picture, and Milwaukee started to struggle a bit...different story, but NOPE.