Philadelphia Flyers!

fly3rs18

Because he's a better goalie? Put Leighton and Boucher in Montreal and we are not passed the first round let alone win one game maybe but you put Halak with Pronger and Timmo in front of him and he glides his way to the finals.

But all ifs especailly since I believe Montreal wanted Giroux plus more.

Yes, it is hard to justify trading that much, seeing as the Flyers almost took the Stanley Cup Finals to game 7 with 2 "AHL goalies" and that Halak wasn't particularly proven at the time of the trade deadline.

I would not be surprised to see Jeff Carter traded for a goalie this offseason, though.

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it is hard to justify trading that much, seeing as the Flyers almost took the Stanley Cup Finals to game 7 with 2 "AHL goalies" and that Halak wasn't particularly proven at the time of the trade deadline.

I would not be surprised to see Jeff Carter traded for a goalie this offseason, though.

Exactly what I'm saying. I personally think the Flyers should just grab an Osgood type goalie rather than spend huge money on say a Marty Turco. Chris Mason would be a solid pickup too.

Exactly what I'm saying. I personally think the Flyers should just grab an Osgood type goalie rather than spend huge money on say a Marty Turco. Chris Mason would be a solid pickup too.

If they are going that route, I'd rather just hang onto Leighton (although he is a UFA as well). If they add a goalie, they need to make it a significant upgrade over what they currently have.

Yes, I watched every NHL postseason game. And I also disagree with you. The Flyers goalies had a better combined GAA than any other team in the postseason, so despite the fact that Leighton and Boucher are both regarded as mediocre at best, I don't see how adding in Halak and subtracting Giroux gets them any farther. I do not think they would have made the finals without Giroux, just IMO.

i think you mean flyers defense had a better GAA, cause thats really what it was. i think we would have had a better chance winning it with halak, but giroux is amazing and is going to be a star in the NHL, i wouldnt have done that trade.

but yes, i dont really see carter here next year either, whether it is trading for a goalie or not. i wouldnt a carter for halak. obviously others would be involved but i wouldnt mind that type of trade

and i didnt realize halak was only 25, i figured he was 28ish. id love to get him, as long as we can do it without trading giroux/jvr

Edited by fly3rs18

i think you mean flyers defense had a better GAA, cause thats really what it was. i think we would have had a better chance winning it with halak, but giroux is amazing and is going to be a star in the NHL, i wouldnt have done that trade.

That is exactly my point. Look how far this team got with mediocre goaltending. Why trade one of their great forwards for a guy who is definitely a better goalie than what they had, but would cause them to shake up the foundation of the team? Was not worth it, given the way this team is constructed and the cap situation (although in the case of a Giroux-for-Halak deal, they both have relatively identical, and small cap-hits so it would have basically been a wash, but long-term when all of these guys get paid cap numbers will be an issue, which is why I could easily see them trading Carter this offseason). Again, I think the Chris Osgood-Red Wings of the mid-2000's analogy is a pretty good one.

But with that said, if Paul Holmgren can spin a deal for a young "franchise" goalie in the making this winter, with a solid cap projection down the line, I am all for it. I think this is a pretty big summer for Holmgren honestly.

and i didnt realize halak was only 25, i figured he was 28ish. id love to get him, as long as we can do it without trading giroux/jvr

Unfortunately, I think that is 99.9% impossible. Especially because the Flyers don't have any 1st or 2nd round draft picks in this upcoming draft to use as trade chips.

i think you mean flyers defense had a better GAA, cause thats really what it was.

Exactly. That's why you upgrade even to an Osgood or Chris Mason and you are set. You may lose some prospects but maybe then you use one of the bigger trading chips to snag another defensemen to lower Prongers minutes in the season. Hard on the body going 100 plus games year in and year out.

Again, that just proves what I was saying earlier. No point in trading a guy like Claude Giroux for a goalie improvement when you are barely going to give up any goals in the postseason anyway, even with 2 pedestrian goalies (obviously, this is assuming I had a crystal ball at trade deadline time, but it looks like Holmgren made the right decision).

But I agree, they need another top-4 caliber defenseman. That should be priority #1 this offseason, even ahead of the goalie situation.

yes the flyers did well with a mediocre goalie, but imagine what would have happened if they had a guy like halak. i wouldnt trade carter for a goalie, but if i can trade carter for halak in a multiplayer deal without trading giroux/jvr then i would be all for it.

and i agree with getting another defensemen. definitely dont need to go spending major money on one, but the flyers could definitely use one more decent reliable defensemen.

yes the flyers did well with a mediocre goalie, but imagine what would have happened if they had a guy like halak. i wouldnt trade carter for a goalie, but if i can trade carter for halak in a multiplayer deal without trading giroux/jvr then i would be all for it.

and i agree with getting another defensemen. definitely dont need to go spending major money on one, but the flyers could definitely use one more decent reliable defensemen.

Lol, well if it was just a matter of adding Halak without subtracting anything, then yes no kidding it would be a great thing. But they absolutely would have demanded Giroux++ (and I believe they did, which is why Holmgren did not pull the trigger).

Edited by Phightins

and im not completely sure, but would it be possible in theory for the flyers to trade for huet who is making 5.6 million each of the next two years, but have chicago pay half of his contract? i know they do that in baseball, but would all 5.6 million count against the cap for the flyers or only the half they are paying?

huet is just a random example. there are other guys like tim thomas that would be possibilities if you were allowed to do this

and interesting thing i just saw, for each of the next 5 seasons, blackhawks are paying toews, kane, campbell, and keith about 36 million per year. and that isnt including guys like huet, sharp, bolland, versteeg who are also making 3+milllion per year each

Edited by fly3rs18

Lol, well if it was just a matter of adding Halak without subtracting anything, then yes no kidding it would be a great thing. But they absolutely would have demanded Giroux++ (and I believe they did, which is why Holmgren did not pull the trigger).

i think its a lot different now then it was at the deadline. montreal has to trade one of them now, and flyers werent as willing to trade carter as they are now

i think its a lot different now then it was at the deadline. montreal has to trade one of them now, and flyers werent as willing to trade carter as they are now

I don't see Montreal trading any goalie to the Flyers. It is pretty much putting a number one preseason ranking on Philly without making any other major moves.

^^true. but we just have to see what other teams pursue halak/price

They'd take a lower offer to keep Halak out West IMO. We've seen that he can take over the playoffs but also is kinda like a grenade because tons of potential but you don't wanna waste a whole lot of cap via Huet.

They'd take a lower offer to keep Halak out West IMO. We've seen that he can take over the playoffs but also is kinda like a grenade because tons of potential but you don't wanna waste a whole lot of cap via Huet.

i absolutely wouldnt pay 5.6 million or anywhere close for huet, but i would take him for like 2 million if the thing i said before was possible to do

http://sports.yahoo....nleycup-ratings

NHL television ratings have bounced back from the post-lockout doldrums—and way beyond.

The clincher of the Stanley Cup finals was the most-watched and highest-rated NHL game in 36 years. TheChicago Blackhawks’ 4-3 overtime win over the Philadelphia Flyers in Game 6, which earned them their first championship since 1961, drew a 4.7 rating and 8 share Wednesday night on NBC.

That’s the best since a 7.6/27 for Game 6 of the Boston-Philadelphia series in 1974. It was 38 percent higher than the 3.4/6 for last year’s Pittsburgh-Detroit Game 6 and 9 percent higher than the 4.3/8 for Game 7 in 2009.

The network said Thursday that the game was watched by 8.28 million viewers.

i guess everyone just likes watching the flyers. in 1974 and now too

and that is also really impressive because that is not including viewers in canada, i think

Edited by fly3rs18

in response to adam burrish's dumbass comments:

"Why is he worrying about me instead of celebrating winning the Cup? Boy, it just goes to show how much I was in his kitchen for him to be talking about me five minutes after he wins the Cup. I could care less what somebody on another team says about me. I don't play this game to make friends. I play to win." ~ Chris Pronger

Ok...so back to the goalie point at hand. The Flyers are going to need to acquire a starting goaltender this summer, I am fairly certain of it. Brian Boucher is under contract for next season, and Michael Leighton is a UFA. I am assuming that after this playoff run, Leighton is going to ask for a pretty significant raise, in either terms of money or years. I would not be surprised to see some team overpay for him. And one thing that I, Fly3rs, and Universe can all agree on is that Michael Leighton is not a great goaltender. So, I think the Flyers will be in the market for a starting goalie.

So, what are the options? I don't see much in terms of free agency, unless we want another re-tread goalie, but the Flyers have basically been shuffling through guys like that ever since Ron Hextall left.. I guess they could take a shot on a guy like Dan Ellis, who has showed promise and has been blocked by Pekka Rinne. Chris Mason is another possibility. But if they really want a young potential "franchise" goaltender, they will need to get him via trade, and they will need to give up significant amount. There don't seem to be many options in that area either. One of the Montreal guys? Cory Schneider? Hopefully Homer has a few more tricks up his sleeve, this team needs tinkering, and they do not have many draft picks to use as trade chips. The starting goaltender needs to be addressed, another top-4 caliber defenseman needs to be added, and some forward depth may need to be added depending on if they trade guys away for a goaltender. And they need to do all of this while up tightly against the cap. It will be an eventful summer. Already can't wait for the draft and July 1st.

Edited by Phightins

its definitely gonna be a very interesting offseason. but the one thing i that i know for sure is that whatever holmgren does is gonna be a good move. holmgren is the reason why this team is where it is today, pulling major trades for timmonen, hartnell, pronger, coburn, and many more. the only mistake that i can really think of would be briere, but they had to sign him and it wasnt that horrible. aside from that what holmgren has been has been nothing short of amazing. and i completely trust that it will continue this offseason

coburn for zhitnik and forsberg for timonen, hartnell, parent (essentially). holmgren is a beast

Holmgren is not good at managing the cap, though. The Hartnell contract sucks, and the Briere contract sucks unless he can produce for 82 games like he did this postseason.

The best part about losing in the Stanley Cup Finals? The offseason is sooooo short. It's almost draft and free agency time already! And then only a bit more than 2 months until training camp!