Philadelphia Flyers!

fly3rs18

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, another trade is coming for sure. He will be pretty expensive, they have to clear cap space. If they can get Hamhuis and Coburn both signed, they have the best defense in the league.

If they can get Hamhuis and Coburn both signed, they have the best defense in the league.

easily. now just to get a goalie to hold it together

and id obviously love to get a guy like jon quick, but more and more i am thinking that ellis might not be too bad. assuming they can get him for cheapish

Edited by fly3rs18

This Hamhuis story is getting crazy. Some people have "sources" saying a deal is almost done, some people have "sources" saying they are not close and are going to wait it out until July 1st and risk losing him as a UFA, and other people have "sources" saying that the Flyers are looking into trading his rights, perhaps to the Canucks. We will just have to wait this out and see what happens.

See kids, this is why you never trust the media when it comes to trade rumors, no matter how many fancy "sources" they cite.

For the record, I have no problem with the fact that they couldn't sign Hamhuis, even if it means they trade him to the Penguins. Means a couple of things. First, the Penguins probably feel like they can't bring Gonchar back. Also, it means that Hamhuis was asking for way too much. There is some speculation that Hamhuis wants to wait until July 1st regardless of who has his rights, which makes this deal even better if true. From the Flyers perspective, it's basically Ryan Parent for a 3rd and a 7th (plus cap space). Worse trades have been made. If they can get the rights to Nabokov and sign him to a reasonable contract, then add a cheaper 5th defenseman via trade/free agency, all will be well.

Word is that the Flyers have a deal in place with San Jose to send them a draft pick next year in exchange for Nabokov, but only if they have a new contract in place by July 1st.

The more I think about it, the more I want it to happen. Get it done Homer!

Sounds like he is going to become a UFA. Still have to like the Flyers chances of signing him though. Not many good goalies available and not many teams in the market for a starting goalie, so I see no reason why anyone would overpay him, unless he goes to the KHL.

Also, sounds like Dan Hamhuis wants to go to free agency as well, and many think his preference is to stay in the western conference.

From the Flyers perspective, it's basically Ryan Parent for a 3rd and a 7th (plus cap space). Worse trades have been made.

Wasn't the 7th contingent on Hamhuis signing with the Flyers? I don't remember where, but I remember hearing/reading that the Flyers only got the 7th pick from the Preds if Hamhuis actually signed with the Flyers.

Not that it matters much.

I actually think that the Flyers would be better off spending the money that it would take to sign Hamhuis and focusing it on Nabokov plus a dependable 5th defenseman. Obviously it would have been great for Philly if they were able to sign Hamhuis, but with Pronger, Coburn, Carle and Timmonen already on the roster, I think it would be more worthwhile for them to go after the scenario I mentioned in the previous sentence.

I am pretty sure that we get the 7th round pick if we don't sign Hamhuis before July 1st, which obviously isn't happening now. Since we traded his rights away, that 7th may not come afterall, I am not sure how that works.

And I completely agree with your idea for how to spend the money.

If they use all this money they're saving to sign Coburn and Volchenkov, no complaints from me. There has to be something else coming.

Some of the local writers think they will still go for another goalie tomorrow, but probably not Nabokov or Turco. Maybe Niitty comes back? I actually wouldn't mind that.