Philadelphia Flyers!

fly3rs18

Jody Shelley, 3 years $1.1 mil per year. This one I do not get at all. Trade is definitely coming though.

Edited by Phightins

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, signing him (and for that much) likely means Dan Carcillo will not be back. Shelley is not half the player Carcillo is.

But yeah, we need to wait for the other shoe to drop before judging. Something else has to be coming.

What are the knocks on Carcillo?

All I know is that Shelley goes hard on every shift, he's a tough [expletive], and he'll scrap it up when needed. He was honestly our best player during our final playoff stretch run last year, including two goals in the final double header with y'all Flyers. He's a 4th line wet dream.

Well, they are kind of different players I suppose. Shelley seems to be an enforcer while Carcillo is an agitator. Shelley is a better fighter, but I don't think they could throw him on one of the top two lines as they did with Carcillo at points this past season. Carcillo will fight almost anybody, but most importantly he has some skill. I don't really see a spot for a guy that's strictly an enforcer (didn't want to use the "G" word) in today's NHL. Hopefully Shelley proves me wrong. And I guess there's nothing ruling out a return for Carcillo, it just doesn't seem all that likely right now. Not sure where he fits in.

Most Lightning fans I have encountered on the internet are thrilled that Meszaros is gone. Hmm. At least he is young and will be on our 3rd pair, but still a very risky move.

If this is true, I'd say Gagne is 100% on the way out. Which means I will withhold any judgement on this for the time being. First have to see what Zherdev's contract is, how the Gagne situation resolves itself, and how the Flyers use their newfound cap space (assuming there is some).

Reportedly 1 year $2 million. If that's true, I'm down. When this was first rumored, I said I'd only be on board if Zherdev was significantly less money than Gagne, which it appears he will be.

Gagne isn't moving his NTC?

Depends on where he is going. Obviously he isn't going to just say "okay I am waiving it, trade me where ever". That sort of negates it's purpose. And that is what he reportedly said to the French newspaper. Word is that he agreed to waive it to go to the Kings though.

i love the zherdev signing. i dont know all that much about him, but he is a young player with a ton of skill. if he can stay focused then he can easily score 20-30 goals this year. and if it it doesnt work out then he is gone after the season, no big deal

but it will be sad to see gagne leave, assuming that is how all of this works out. he is no doubt one of the best players in flyers history and he will definitely be missed in philly. i hope he does well whereever he goes, but i kinda hope he doesnt do too well so that he can come back and retire as a flyer

i love the zherdev signing. i dont know all that much about him, but he is a young player with a ton of skill. if he can stay focused then he can easily score 20-30 goals this year. and if it it doesnt work out then he is gone after the season, no big deal

He is as selfish as he is talented. He'll dazzle you with a beautiful goal, and then play with his head down and a fancy puck for the rest of the game and turn it over for one going the other way. His head has never been screwed on tight, though I'd be scared of what he can do if it was.

From what I have heard, Zherdev is Gagne with a right-handed shot and almost no defense, which is why I said he'd have to be significantly less money in order for it to be worth it. Clearly, he will be Gagne's replacement, and the saved cap room will go towards bringing back Carcillo and Powe (I presume), and maybe there will even be enough to bring Marty Turco in on a 1 year deal or something like that. We'll see.

Edited by Phightins

I don't get what they are doing though. The finished second overall in the entire league and the team that beat them lost a lot of main guys yet rather than filling in the holes, they try and mix it up. I still see them in the Finals again but I am puzzled.

I don't get what they are doing though. The finished second overall in the entire league and the team that beat them lost a lot of main guys yet rather than filling in the holes, they try and mix it up. I still see them in the Finals again but I am puzzled.

What do you mean? The Flyers main hole was their 3rd defensive pairing, which they had to overpay to improve. To clear cap space for this (and to presumably re-sign their last 2 RFAs), they found a cheaper alternative to Simon Gagne, who also presumably will be let go at some point. They have a lot of expensive forwards, Gagne being the only one that was moveable.

What other moves have they made that are so puzzling though? Arron Asham will be basically replaced with Jody Shelley. I'd have preferred to keep Asham, but that is sort of a minor deal. I don't see that having any major ramifications. You will probably say that goaltender was their main need, which is understandable, but I'd argue that if they had a competent 3rd defensive pairing in the Chicago series they easily could have won it. Instead of overpaying in terms of talent/draft picks for Bernier, Halak, Schneider, etc., they decided to overpay money-wise and take Meszaros off Tampa's hands (and the O'Donnell signing was fantastic, IMO). They felt it was more worthwhile to attack the 3rd pairing than the goaltender, and I think it's been known all along that a big contract would have to be moved for either of these areas to be fixed.

Also, on another note about Zherdev, I like the 1-year contract strategy Holmgren is using here, ala Ray Emery. Let the guy prove he belongs in the NHL again, don't let him feel entitled to anything. Now hopefully Zherdev doesn't blow out his hip like Emery too!

I just don't get why they have done as much as they have when they had the second best team. I just think there was a better way to do it to increase the chances of returning to the Finals but he took a different path.

That's life in a salary cap league I guess.