Musical Instruments

Dr. Feelgood

Was wondering if anyone here plays or has played any musical instruments.

Back during 6th, 7th, and 8th grade, I played the trumpet. I wasn't good at it but I wasn't really bad at it. I was about in the middle of the group (we were ranked by how good we were). It was fun and cool but when I got to high school, I knew it wasn't for me, so I stopped playing.

About a year or so ago, I read a book titled "Slash" which is the autobiography of Slash the guitar player from Guns N Roses and Velvet Revolver. After I read that book, it made me want to play guitar. So I bought an Epiphone Les Paul Special II that came with an amp and case. For the first month, I tried learning to play it but decided I'd find a tutor. So I found a tutor and took lessons for about a month in a half before stopping because the tutor was quitting the tutor company (I took his number and was going to set up private lessons).

Right now I can play the openings to Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes. It's pretty easy and basic. Just tonight, I taught myself the beginning of Pork and Beans by Weezer as that's pretty easy and basic (can't play it as well as Seven Nation but I'm getting there). So I'm really getting into guitar and I'm loving it.

Anyone else play anything?

I played saxophone in school beginning in 4th grade. Played in marching band all throughout high school. I am giving it up now that I'm going to college though. I also took piano lessons from age 9 through 17, and drum lessons through middle school and early high school. I played drums in a band with a couple friends, although that never turned into anything serious. I am trying to teach myself guitar to keep myself busy now.

I played Tuba in middle school for band class, haha.

But now I play guitar. I've been playing for 2 and a half years now. I have a mexican made Stratocaster. Yeah man, guitar playing is so fulfilling, I love it. I remember starting out like you and struggling with easy riffs but if you keep at it you'll find yourself able to play harder and harder stuff and you'll realize how easy the stuff like Pork and Beans is. :)

Last thing I learned actually was In the Garage by Weezer.

• Owner

In the 6th grade, we were forced to either be in the choir, or take band. So I took band and played a trumpet.

Went through junior high and high school with it. I actually had NOTHING in common with anyone else in band, and I hated having the class, but I was ranked #1 in the state of Kansas during our state solo competitions when I was a junior and senior. Played two years of JUCO, couldn't stand not playing basketball, but with my ankle injury, it was either a band scholarship, or the academic scholarship (both are bad).

Got an offer to play in the Univ. of Kansas band as a co-lead trumpet, but I turned it down. Not saying anything bad about those who take band...but in my town, I just really couldn't hang out with them during games, yet I was forced to in a way, and I was done with that.

I played Tuba in middle school for band class, haha.

But now I play guitar. I've been playing for 2 and a half years now. I have a mexican made Stratocaster. Yeah man, guitar playing is so fulfilling, I love it. I remember starting out like you and struggling with easy riffs but if you keep at it you'll find yourself able to play harder and harder stuff and you'll realize how easy the stuff like Pork and Beans is. :)

Last thing I learned actually was In the Garage by Weezer.

Yeah, my problem is practicing consistantly. Before I got the tabs for Pork and Beans (which was last night), I hadn't picked up my guitar in about a month. Though, it's an easy riff and I'm sure I'll get it down sometime in a week or so. I just need to keep practicing everyday. Maybe sometime, if you don't mind, I'd like to hit you up on AIM for a couple of pointers every now and then.