Plaxico Burress gets 2 years

Flash

NEW YORK -- Former New York Giants receiver Plaxico Burresspleaded guilty Thursday to a weapons charge and agreed to a two-yearprison term for accidentally shooting himself at a Manhattan nightclub.

Burress pleaded guilty to one count of attempted criminal possession ofa weapon, a lesser charge than he initially faced. Under a pleaagreement, he agreed to a two-year prison sentence and two years ofsupervised release.

Burresswas indicted earlier this month on two counts of criminal possession ofa weapon and one count of reckless endangerment. He faced a minimumsentence of 3½ years if convicted at a trial.

The guilty pleaends months of haggling between Burress' attorney and the Manhattandistrict attorney's office. The case went to a grand jury earlier thismonth after negotiations broke down, apparently because DistrictAttorney Robert Morgenthau was insisting that Burress serve at leasttwo years in prison.

Assistant District Attorney Mark Dwyer said it is standard policy torequest a two-year sentence as part of a plea bargain on such seriouscharges. Sentencing was set for Sept. 22.

ESPN

2 years is ridiculous. Hell Vick did worse and got 2 years. Definitely used as an example.

• Like 1

Stallworth killed a man...30 days

Vick was cruel to animals...18 months

Burress shoots HIMSELF in the leg...2 years

Legal System...Priceless

I was thinking the same thing. I really think Stallworth should have gotten the worst punishment of all three of them. It's just ridiculous that he's the only one to have killed a human yet he basically got a slap on the wrist.

I was thinking the same thing. I really think Stallworth should have gotten the worst punishment of all three of them. It's just ridiculous that he's the only one to have killed a human yet he basically got a slap on the wrist.

The Stallworth case is a little different though. The pedestrian he struck wasn't in the crosswalk on one of the busiest streets in Miami. The law is jjust weird though I have no idea how Plax just got 2 years.

shooting himself is not the crime. well it is endangering other people and he could have easily hit someone else instead of himself, but the main crime is that it was an illegal weapon. that is a very serious crime. he should have had more then 2, he got off easy

As did Stallworth.

it was a busy street and thespeed limit was 45 i believe. the guy decides to walk across themiddle of the busy street. it would have been tough for anyone tostop. and he was barely over the legal blood alchohol limit, its notlike he was totally [expletive]ed up. i still think he should have justgotten the DUI charge. its that dumbasses own fault that he tried tocross a busy road. how stupid can you be

shooting himself is not the crime. well it is endangering other people and he could have easily hit someone else instead of himself, but the main crime is that it was an illegal weapon. that is a very serious crime. he should have had more then 2, he got off easy

He definitely did not get off easy. Every legal analyst I've seen talk about it today says he got a very harsh sentence.

New York has strict laws, so it's not surprising.

Also, it is somewhat pointless to compare the Donte Stallworth and Michael Vick cases to the Plaxico Burress case because different states have different laws, and sometimes they are VERY different.

Having a gun in New York City is different than having a gun in.......Wyoming.

I hate Plaxico but I do feel a bit sorry for him. NYC is really trying to crack down on this sort of thing so obviously for them, having Burress do this when he did was perfect timing. He is the perfect guy for them to make an example out of.

I am not going to say whether or not 2 years is fair, but I do think our justice system is flawed.

^I was going to say that ha.

But it was a fair punishment. If he would've "went on, and had to help pay for the costs of a trial," he would've gotten 3 1/2 years. The sentence was fair, he could've gotten up to 15 years. No way they should go easy on him since he's an athlete.

Actually, I remember a few of you going, "omfg Vick should've gotten 2 days in jail."

NYC Mayor Bloomberg, nuff said. Their idiots...

That's a pretty simple minded comment. In New York laws have to be tough we can't let everyone in NYC walk around with a loaded weapon. Plax got a tough sentence because that gun could just have easily struck and badly injured someone else. I said before on this forum Stallworth should have at least got 10-15 years. Not only was he DWI which I believe is a serious crime but he also was high. The fact that he was DWI should have him in jail for at least a year imo. Think about it the guy he killed had a family who will never see him again because some [expletive] was driving drunk. And what he gets 30 days in jail and 2 years house arrest? Like thats evena punishment his house is probably a mansion where a person could live comfortably for 10 years without ever having to leave. I think that the Plax and Vick rulings were fair. After all as harsh as it as it is. Dogs are just animals like deer or bears. Although it is illegal to kill them and do what he did its not the same as killing or endangering a human.

All this being said, sad day for me Plax is a father and a husband and it sucks for his family that he will now be in jail for 2 years.

That's a pretty simple minded comment. In New York laws have to be tough we can't let everyone in NYC walk around with a loaded weapon. Plax got a tough sentence because that gun could just have easily struck and badly injured someone else. I said before on this forum Stallworth should have at least got 10-15 years. Not only was he DWI which I believe is a serious crime but he also was high. The fact that he was DWI should have him in jail for at least a year imo. Think about it the guy he killed had a family who will never see him again because some [expletive] was driving drunk. And what he gets 30 days in jail and 2 years house arrest? Like thats evena punishment his house is probably a mansion where a person could live comfortably for 10 years without ever having to leave. I think that the Plax and Vick rulings were fair. After all as harsh as it as it is. Dogs are just animals like deer or bears. Although it is illegal to kill them and do what he did its not the same as killing or endangering a human.

All this being said, sad day for me Plax is a father and a husband and it sucks for his family that he will now be in jail for 2 years.

ill start with the plax thing that i do feel bad for him too because i think his wife is pregnant. i agree with the ruling and that he could have gotten it much worse, but i just felt terrible when i heard that he has a kid on the way

but for stallworth. the guys family are not gonna see him because he was a dumbass and jaywalked across a busy 45 mph road. i dont know what you expect by doing that. that is why i dont feel bad for the family at all. dont be dumb and dont get yourself in those situations.

do you know if stallworth was high at the time or just had marijuana in his system, which means he could have smoked 2 weeks ago? he was barely over the legal alchohol limit, which does mean it is a DWI, but he could at least still know what was going on. its a different story if he was high at the time though. but the bottom line is that the guy was jaywalking across a busy 45 mph road. it is his own fault that he got hit. stallworth should have just gotten the DWI charges

Man this is dumb you go to prison for a crime like murder, robery, rape, and BAD things like that not for being stupid. He should have not gotten that much time behind bars. It should have been like 1000 hours community service, and maybe 90 days in jail but not 2 years. Thats just dumb.There is not way he sould have gone to jail for more time than Stallworth and just as much as Vick.

They wanted to make an example out of him and they did.

Man this is dumb you go to prison for a crime like murder, robery, rape, and BAD things like that not for being stupid. He should have not gotten that much time behind bars. It should have been like 1000 hours community service, and maybe 90 days in jail but not 2 years. Thats just dumb.There is not way he sould have gone to jail for more time than Stallworth and just as much as Vick.

They wanted to make an example out of him and they did.

Thanks for that, Roger Cossack.