Worst sports city?

kingfish

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol @ saying Cleveland.

I would have to go with most of the Bay Area teams.

Raiders and 49ers are some of the best teams in the NFL if you are talking about all-time.

The Giants aren't bad either in the MLB, same with the Sharks in the NHL.

Something tells me this thread will head in a bad direction....hmm wonder why.

Clearly Boston though. I mean, undoubtedly a top 5 team in every sport (arguably top 2 in all but baseball). How terrible!! B)

But this is difficult. Pretty much every major sports city has at least one successful franchise so it is hard to find a city far worse than all the others.

Edited by Phightins09

Memphis, bar none.

Memphis and San Antonio are kind of similar except that SA is successful. They dont really classify as "sports cities", cause they only have one team. And didnt the Memphis NCAA team do good recently? I dont follow NCAA lol.

Nine championships for 206 years of their four major sports cities is not that great but Philly does have the fans.

Well, is this current or all time? If it is current, Philly has three very competitive teams, and the Sixers are, well, the Sixers, but there are worse cities. It's been like this for about the past decade as well. In the 90s I would have agreed but we have turned the corner.

Memphis and San Antonio are kind of similar except that SA is successful. They dont really classify as "sports cities", cause they only have one team. And didnt the Memphis NCAA team do good recently? I dont follow NCAA lol.

Memphis cheated to get to the national championship so it basically never happened.

Atlanta is probably the worst sports city out of cities that have all 4 sports. Their teams have generally always sucked except for the Braves who had that huge reign of dominance in the 90's. Cleveland is pretty bad as well, but at least the fans give the team support which isn't always the case with the Atlanta teams. I give the Cleveland fans props for staying rowdy though.

And the Bay Area team's suck too. Raiders and 49ers are both garbage right now as well as the A's. The Warriors arn't making the playoffs and it doesn't look like the Giants will either. The Sharks are the biggest chokers in the NHL so they have to be in it too.

Seattle is pretty bad too. Their basketball team moved and the Seahawks/Mariners arn't exactly powerhouses right now either. Just seems like a depressing area.

Edited by Diesel

I'm really surprised that nobody has mentioned Miami or Tampa Bay........

Also, Phoenix has had [expletive] teams as a whole lately, excluding the Arizona Cardinals one appearance in the Super Bowl.

I was thinking Miami as well. The Marlins are always competitive, but the fact that the team needs to have a firesale once every 5 years just for the sole fact that fans do not show up to the games brings their rating down. Also, as with most southern cities, hockey does not go well in South Florida. The Panthers have struggled too. Honestly I do not remember what Heat games were like before the championship, but I can't imagine that fans would have shown up if not for Wade/Shaq. So, I guess they have the Dolphins but not much more.

Let's look at the cities with teams in all four professional sports:

- Atlanta

- Boston

- Chicago

- Dallas

- Denver

- Detroit

- Miami

- Minny

- NYC

- Philly

- Phoenix

- Bay Area

- Toronto

- Washington

Out of those, I'll take Atlanta or Miami.

I still fail to see how people are saying Atlanta.

Atlanta Hawks made the playoffs.

Atlanta Falcons made the playoffs.

Atlanta Braves are competitive, and could still win the NL East.

Atlanta Thrashers aren't good, but they are improving.

From the teams that you listed, the following are all worse cities than Atlanta right now:

Denver

Detroit

Miami

Minnesota

Phoenix

San Fransisco/Oakland

Toronto

Washington

I still fail to see how people are saying Atlanta.

Atlanta Hawks made the playoffs.

Atlanta Falcons made the playoffs.

Atlanta Braves are competitive, and could still win the NL East.

Atlanta Thrashers aren't good, but they are improving.

The Hawks are one of the biggest laughingstocks of the NBA and apart from last year havn't won a playoff series in who knows how long. Their still a mediocre team and only got to the 2nd round because there was only 3 legit teams in the Eastern Conference. Before last year they were the Clippers of the Eastern Conference and noone in Atlanta cared about them at all. It's going to take more than that to redeem themselves.

Not once in franchise history have the Falcons had two consecutive winning seasons although I like their chances this year their still pretty poor historically.

The Thrashers just suck(have they ever won a playoff game?) and the Braves arn't winning the NL East so you can get that idea out of your head. Unlike the Red Sox the Phillies will be winning their division this year.