Nuggets' Smith to serve 30 days for fatal accident

MILLSTONE, N.J. (AP) -- A judge sentenced Denver Nuggets guard J.R. Smith to 90 days in jail Tuesday night for causing an auto accident that killed his friend, though Smith will likely end up serving only 30.

Municipal Judge Debra J. Gelson suspended 60 days of the sentence providing Smith performs 500 hours of community service consisting of visiting sick children at hospitals.

Full Story: http://www.nba.com/2009/news/06/30/smith.sentence.ap/index.html

Wow, you won the series, but you're [expletive] is still damaged beyond repair from the beating we gave you that night? My god, I would have thought beating us in the series and winning the NBA Finals would be the cure for such sodomization, but I guess not.

I'm surprised he wasn't intoxicated.... R.I.P J.R's friend. J.R's punishment should be a lot worse than 30 days plus 500 hours of community service... isn't killing your friend while you're driving basically murder if the accident is your fault?

Wow J.R. stay losing ... i dunno this guy has all the potential in the world but his aura is just one of a losers so its like he just gonna stay losing and never reach his potential..

This happened 2 years ago, he's changed 100% since then.

I'm surprised he wasn't intoxicated.... R.I.P J.R's friend. J.R's punishment should be a lot worse than 30 days plus 500 hours of community service... isn't killing your friend while you're driving basically murder if the accident is your fault?

Danny Heatley (NHL player) did the exact same thing to his friend who was also a NHL player.

He hasn't killed anyone recently (as in the span of two years), but he's still very stupid and immature.

I'd like to see some proof of him getting in trouble. Sorry, he has fun playing basketball, how immature! WHAT A PIECE OF [expletive]!

He hasn't killed anyone recently (as in the span of two years), but he's still very stupid and immature.

lmao exactly man

I'd like to see some proof of him getting in trouble. Sorry, he has fun playing basketball, how immature! WHAT A PIECE OF [expletive]!

Ok first off dude be fighting other players (nate?) .. Secondly by immature i mean to say he is more unprofessional to his career.. he doesn't play in a professional manner and presents himself as a immature player .. he has all the talent in the world that most guys die for.. he is throwing it away doing dumb crap ..

What exactly did he do? I feel bad for him though.

"Smith, who starred at Lakewood High School and St. Benedict's Prep in Newark, admitted driving an SUV through a stop sign and colliding with a car in Millstone Township, about 20 miles east of Trenton, in June 2007. Bell later died from his injuries, and another passenger in the SUV and a woman driving the car were injured but recovered."

per ESPN

I can't stand Smith, either. He showboats way too much.

Ok first off dude be fighting other players (nate?) .. Secondly by immature i mean to say he is more unprofessional to his career.. he doesn't play in a professional manner and presents himself as a immature player .. he has all the talent in the world that most guys die for.. he is throwing it away doing dumb crap ..

That was in 2006. Once again, you call that immature, I call that having fun. He's doing what he loves for a living and his style is to have fun while doing so. How is he throwing it away? He improved greatly this past year and Karl has said he will start this upcoming season. He's still really young.

I can't stand Smith, either. He showboats way too much.

You have JR Smith? Judging from these past playoffs and our arguments over the Nuggets, I thought you were his biggest fan! :lol:

That was in 2006. Once again, you call that immature, I call that having fun. He's doing what he loves for a living and his style is to have fun while doing so. How is he throwing it away? He improved greatly this past year and Karl has said he will start this upcoming season. He's still really young.

You have JR Smith? Judging from these past playoffs and our arguments over the Nuggets, I thought you were his biggest fan! :lol:

haha. I was about to respond with a nice tirade on Smith, but I saw you and figured why bother. :lol: :rofl: :rofl:

It's not having fun when you are regarding what he does as a job. Playing in the NBA is a job, it's not for fun otherwise no one would be earning money ..

He needs to start acting professional because indeed he has the talent.. just not the mentality of a professional.

The comment was pertaining strictly to his on-court behavior. Like throwing an elbow at Antoine Wright. Or his relentless taunting and trash-talking, and as a result, a propensity to pick up technical fouls (I think it was three or four in the playoffs). That's stupid and immature. Don't even argue it.

Edited by His Greatness

It's not having fun when you are regarding what he does as a job. Playing in the NBA is a job, it's not for fun otherwise no one would be earning money ..

He needs to start acting professional because indeed he has the talent.. just not the mentality of a professional.

So... a job can't be fun? My god, he plays basketball for a living, he's going to have fun doing so.

Charles Barkley is a hall of famer and an all-time great, yet he punched Rocky, the Nuggets mascot, in the face messing around during a game, he didn't have the mentality of a professional so he wasn't one of the greatest rebounders of all time only being 6'4"... oh wait.

The comment was pertaining strictly to his on-court behavior. Like throwing an elbow at Antoine Wright. Or his relentless taunting and trash-talking, and as a result, a propensity to pick up technical fouls (I think it was three or four in the playoffs). That's stupid and immature. Don't even argue it.

If we are going to call him immature for doing a somewhat dirty play, should we consider over half the NBA immature? Taunting? I call it having fun on the home court. JR Smith had 3 technical fouls in 15 games. You know who had more than him? Dwight Howard, Kenyon Martin, Kobe Bryant, Hedo Turkoglu, Josh Smith, Carmelo Anthony, and Zaza Pachulia. You know who had the same amount as him? Lamar Odom, Luke Walton, Eddie House, and Brad Miller. I guess we should call all those players immature as well.

If we are going to call him immature for doing a somewhat dirty play, should we consider over half the NBA immature?

Yes, we can call him stupid and immature for throwing a blatant elbow at someone's face, because it is stupid and immature.

Taunting? I call it having fun on the home court. JR Smith had 3 technical fouls in 15 games. You know who had more than him? Dwight Howard, Kenyon Martin, Kobe Bryant, Hedo Turkoglu, Josh Smith, Carmelo Anthony, and Zaza Pachulia. You know who had the same amount as him? Lamar Odom, Luke Walton, Eddie House, and Brad Miller. I guess we should call all those players immature as well.

You call it having fun on the court. I, and probably everyone else in the world, call it taunting. You can have fun on the court without foolishly disrespecting your opponent and hurting your team.

Dwight Howard is stupid and immature, Kenyon Martin is dirty, Kobe Bryant is a douche, Josh Smith is stupid and immature, and Carmelo Anthony is immature. Still pretty bad company.

It's not just his tendency for incurring technicals that's pertinent, but also how he picks him up and how he carries himself on the court. This is a guy that has a reputation for pulling this type of [expletive], and these [expletive]ty displays of character are unsurprisingly recurring. It's really no secret — you're probably the only one denying it, even among your Nugget cohorts.

Yes, we can call him stupid and immature for throwing a blatant elbow at someone's face, because it is stupid and immature.

So everyone who has ever made a dirty play is stupid and immature for life? Alright then. I mean the elbow was because he was getting fouled and it wasn't too bad of an elbow. It's immature, but something similar happens in almost every NBA game.

You call it having fun on the court. I, and probably everyone else in the world, call it taunting. You can have fun on the court without foolishly disrespecting your opponent and hurting your team.

JR Smith's 3 technicals hurt the team, but two players on the team had more technicals than him during the playoffs. They still made the WCF and took the champions to 6 games.

Dwight Howard is stupid and immature, Kenyon Martin is dirty, Kobe Bryant is a douche, Josh Smith is stupid and immature, and Carmelo Anthony is immature. Still pretty bad company.

I'm just going to ignore that statement as it's more a good laugh than a good point.

It's not just his tendency for incurring technicals that's pertinent, but also how he picks him up and how he carries himself on the court. This is a guy that has a reputation for pulling this type of [expletive], and these [expletive]ty displays of character are unsurprisingly recurring. It's really no secret — you're probably the only one denying it, even among your Nugget cohorts.

My god, it's just his style to have fun out there. Sure sometimes he goes to far, but it doesn't mean he has "[expletive]ty character", get the [expletive] out of here with that ridiculous statement. Sorry his style doesn't pertain to your interests, it doesn't mean he's a bad person or something.

So everyone who has ever made a dirty play is stupid and immature for life? Alright then. I mean the elbow was because he was getting fouled and it wasn't too bad of an elbow. It's immature, but something similar happens in almost every NBA game.

I don't know what NBA games you've been watching, but blatant elbows throw at someone's face don't happen "almost" every NBA game.

It's not just that dirty elbow that earned him this stigma as a stupid and immature player — it's everything that he's done, and is still doing that made him deserve it.

It's certainly not lifelong, though. Kobe outlived it.

JR Smith's 3 technicals hurt the team, but two players on the team had more technicals than him during the playoffs. They still made the WCF and took the champions to 6 games.

Oh, yeah, that makes it much better!

Those three technicals only add on o his already [expletive]ty record (on-court, I mean) as a stupid and immature player. That's not including all the uncalled taunts and gestures he made to the other team during the playoffs.

I'm just going to ignore that statement as it's more a good laugh than a good point.

Yeah but it's so true, though.

My god, it's just his style to have fun out there. Sure sometimes he goes to far, but it doesn't mean he has "[expletive]ty character", get the [expletive] out of here with that ridiculous statement. Sorry his style doesn't pertain to your interests, it doesn't mean he's a bad person or something.

Yep, and his style is stupid and immature.

I didn't say he was a bad person or that he has [expletive]ty character, that's you throwing out straw mans again. I said that those [expletive]ty displays of character are unsurprisingly recurring, which means exactly what it says and implies.

I don't know what NBA games you've been watching, but blatant elbows throw at someone's face don't happen "almost" every NBA game.

It's not just that dirty elbow that earned him this stigma as a stupid and immature player — it's everything that he's done, and is still doing that made him deserve it.

It's certainly not lifelong, though. Kobe outlived it.

Umm... have you seen the play? Similar scuffles happen in almost every NBA game.

My God get out of here with this "ALL NBA PLAYERS SHOULD BE PROFESSIONAL." It comes from where he grew up and his style of play. I bet you would shoot yourself from the "immaturity" in every pickup game.

Oh, yeah, that makes it much better!

Those three technicals only add on o his already [expletive]ty record (on-court, I mean) as a stupid and immature player. That's not including all the uncalled taunts and gestures he made to the other team during the playoffs.

This is just getting ridiculous. You obviously have a set conservative view on how basketball should be played with no exceptions while I don't care about trash talking, celebrating, etc.

Yeah but it's so true, though.

:)

Yep, and his style is stupid and immature.

I didn't say he was a bad person or that he has [expletive]ty character, that's you throwing out straw mans again. I said that those [expletive]ty displays of character are unsurprisingly recurring, which means exactly what it says and implies.

Oh so you don't think he has [expletive]ty character, yet he displays [expletive]ty character... makes perfect sense!