Leafs land Kessel

The Great iBoldin

The Toronto Maple Leafs GM acquired winger Phil Kessel from the Boston Bruins on Friday in a mega deal that had been rumored for more than a week.

Sources told ESPN.com the Leafs sent two first-round draft picks and a second-round draft pick to the Bruins for the high-scoring winger. The 21-year-old Kessel, a restricted free agent, signed a five-year, $27 million deal with the Leafs, according to a source.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4485942

Good move for the Laffs. I think they're finally playoff bound this year, whether it be a 7 or 8-seed.

Bruins did pretty well there too. I know ECN will have an opinion on this and can correct me if I am wrong, but Kessel struck me as being very inconsistent despite all that talent. I'd say three high draft picks is a very solid return for him.

The Boston Bruins and the Toronto Maple Leafs made out well in this trade.

Phil Kessel wasn't going to re-sign with the Boston Bruins, so he gets traded for two 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder, and the Boston Bruins have Marco Sturm coming back this season.

I wish he would have stayed, but he didn't, and the Boston Bruins got good value for him....I hope.

Great trade for the Bruins.

Watching the 590 today and they showed how they would trade two first round picks for him but wouldn't trade the Leafs last two first rounders for him which brings up the question of who wins? I have to go with Boston easily as I personally feel Kessel peaked and you have the potential to hit three top players.

Watching the 590 today and they showed how they would trade two first round picks for him but wouldn't trade the Leafs last two first rounders for him which brings up the question of who wins? I have to go with Boston easily as I personally feel Kessel peaked and you have the potential to hit three top players.

Phil Kessel hasn't peaked, and he is a proven 35 goal-scorer, and is only 21 years old.

You don't find many players with that type of resume, and he would have definitely hit 40 goals if he didn't get momno, and he is an excellent playoff performer.

However, was somewhat expendable with Marco Sturm coming back and the recent signings that the Boston Bruins have made.

Yeah, not too mention the fact that they couldn't re-sign him anyways. I can see a decrease or increase in scoring, and that's what makes me like the Boston Bruins this year.

Not to mention, Milan Lucic, the good ole' Vancouver kid.

Edited by iBoldin

Lol how had Kessel peaked? He is 21 years old and coming off of his best season of his NHL career. He has plenty of raw, untapped potential and has plenty of room to still grow as a player. Yeah playing with an elite playmaker like Savard helped him out tremendously last season, but the guy has definitely not peaked.

I like this trade for both teams.

The Leafs get their legitimate star forward that they have been desperately lacking and the icing on the cake is that he is only 21 years old and still growing as a player. He gives them a dynamic offensive talent and that was something that they were desperately lacking. As a Leaf fan, I am definitely looking forward to seeing Kessel on the ice after he recovers from rotator cuff surgery. They also didn't have to part with any position players which is nice (and expected considering Boston's cap situation).

As for Boston, they simply weren't going to be bringing Kessel back. They didn't have the money nor did he even want to be there. They got two 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder out of it which is better compensation then if somebody would've just signed him to an offer sheet.

It sucks to see a rebuilding team like Toronto to trade away 2 1sts and a 2nd, but you have to give something to get something. Besides, the 2011 draft is absolutely terrible so that 1st rounder isn't nearly as valuable as it is in most years. Knowing Burke, I can see him swing a deal sometime in the future for a could of 2nd's and then package those to get back into the 1st round anyways.

All in all though, good deal for both teams.

Lol how had Kessel peaked? He is 21 years old and coming off of his best season of his NHL career. He has plenty of raw, untapped potential and has plenty of room to still grow as a player. Yeah playing with an elite playmaker like Savard helped him out tremendously last season, but the guy has definitely not peaked.

I like this trade for both teams.

The Leafs get their legitimate star forward that they have been desperately lacking and the icing on the cake is that he is only 21 years old and still growing as a player. He gives them a dynamic offensive talent and that was something that they were desperately lacking. As a Leaf fan, I am definitely looking forward to seeing Kessel on the ice after he recovers from rotator cuff surgery. They also didn't have to part with any position players which is nice (and expected considering Boston's cap situation).

As for Boston, they simply weren't going to be bringing Kessel back. They didn't have the money nor did he even want to be there. They got two 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder out of it which is better compensation then if somebody would've just signed him to an offer sheet.

It sucks to see a rebuilding team like Toronto to trade away 2 1sts and a 2nd, but you have to give something to get something. Besides, the 2011 draft is absolutely terrible so that 1st rounder isn't nearly as valuable as it is in most years. Knowing Burke, I can see him swing a deal sometime in the future for a could of 2nd's and then package those to get back into the 1st round anyways.

All in all though, good deal for both teams.

Good-bye Tomas Kaberle.

Anyways, I think what "Universe" was saying is that he views Phil Kessel as just a pure goal scorer, and that he has reached his full potential, which I disagree with, but there are other peole that would agree with him.

Good-bye Tomas Kaberle.

Anyways, I think what "Universe" was saying is that he views Phil Kessel as just a pure goal scorer, and that he has reached his full potential, which I disagree with, but there are other peole that would agree with him.

Is somebody upset that Burke was able to hold out long enough so that he didn't have to trade Kaberle to the Bruins for Kessel? :)

On a serious note though, I can definitely see this move ending Kaberle's tenure with the Leafs but it isn't a forgone conclusion either. Even if he does end up leaving I won't be too upset (talking about free agency here) because although Tomas Kaberle is a fantastic defenseman, by the time that the Leafs young prospects like Schenn, Kadri, Bozak, Tlusty, Kulemin and Stalberg are in their primes and the Leafs are a relevant team again, Kabs won't be the same player that he currently is. I don't expect him to have a significant drop off in play or anything considering his style of play, but he won't be the same elite puck moving defenseman that he is today (I do still believe that he is an elite puck mover, he just hasn't had anybody to move the puck to the past couple of years lol. If you disagree on the elite part, fair enough).

Like I said above though, this doesn't guarntee that Kaberle will be gone from the Leafs by any means. He loves the city of Toronto and the Maple Leaf franchise and Burke knows that he is a great defenseman. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Kabs take a paycut to stay in Toronto, but I can see him leaving just as well.

We will just have to wait and see what the future holds in store for Kaberle and the Leafs.

Well, Peter Chiarelli has a press conference yesterday, and it was very apparent that Phil Kessel did not want to play for the Boston Bruins.

Phil Kessel and his agent made no attempt to negotiate a contract, and that is one of the main reasons that he was traded.

Also, Peter Chiarelli owned Phil Kessel saying that Phil Kessel had his best season under Claude Julien.

Well, Peter Chiarelli has a press conference yesterday, and it was very apparent that Phil Kessel did not want to play for the Boston Bruins.

Phil Kessel and his agent made no attempt to negotiate a contract, and that is one of the main reasons that he was traded.

Also, Peter Chiarelli owned Phil Kessel saying that Phil Kessel had his best season under Claude Julien.

Like Michael Ryder.

• 1 year later...