NLCS Discussion: Los Angeles Dodgers vs. Philadelphia Phillies

Phightins

i love being the lower seed team, i think it helps. all phillies need to do it win one of the first 2 games, then they have the series at 1-1 coming home for 3 games. the only downside is game 7 being away.

even worst case scenario if the lose games 1 and 2 in LA, they still come home for 3 games where they should be able to make a comeback in the series

if cole hamels can pitch even close to the cole hamels of the 2008 postseason, then i really cant see this being a tough series. we just need the pitchers to get a decent, long outing

It would be nice but I don't think it's gonna be that easy. We got kinda lucky with the Rockies matchup since they are so loaded on the left side of the plate, so we got to toss 4 lefties their way and essentially shut that lineup down with the exception of game 2. The Dodgers have a far more balanced lineup. The bottom line is that this cannot become a battle of the bullpens. If we go into the 7th inning tied or trailing, it will be a major uphill battle against Belisario, Kuo, Sherrill, and Broxton. We need to get to their starters.

It would be nice but I don't think it's gonna be that easy. We got kinda lucky with the Rockies matchup since they are so loaded on the left side of the plate, so we got to toss 4 lefties their way and essentially shut that lineup down with the exception of game 2. The Dodgers have a far more balanced lineup. The bottom line is that this cannot become a battle of the bullpens. If we go into the 7th inning tied or trailing, it will be a major uphill battle against Belisario, Kuo, Sherrill, and Broxton. We need to get to their starters.

oh its definitely not gonna be easy. but the phils are in a great situation now. even if they lose tomorrow, they still come home for 3 games. for the dodgers game 2 is a must win, because they really cant be down 0-2 and going to philly

I'm so happy the Phils stole Game 1. I am that much more confident in this team. Even if they lose Game 2 they go back to Philly with Cliff Lee leading the way. Of course I would like to sweep them and end this asap though.

Also

RAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLL

• Like 1

Yes they already accomplished what they needed to do in LA. Even if they lose today they are in pretty good shape. I just hope they don't take that mentality. Some of the interviews yesterday suggested that they were already satisfied, so I sure as hell hope they don't lay off the gas today. Yes, taking back homefield is nice but a 2-0 stranglehold would be amazing.

As for last night, it was a typical Hamels outing, except his fastball was about as good as it's been all season. All three of his pitches were working, but as usual he had a few mental lapses which really cost him. He pounded Manny in with fastballs for his first two at-bats and Manny could not touch him, then in the third at bat throws 3 straight changeups for some reason, and as expected Manny went deep. I guarantee you the bench was calling for more fastballs and Ruiz was too, but Cole can get pretty stubborn sometimes. And right before that, he was clearly upset when Rollins and Utley butchered the would-have-been double play that Ethier grounded in to. I would have been upset too but he did not need to show them up like he did. The bullpen was surprisingly great, with the exception of Madson. Lidge looked awesome with the exception of the 0-2 slider he grooved right over the middle of the plate to Kemp. I did not mind him pitching around Loney either to get the matchup with Belliard.

All I can ask of Pedro today is to limit the damage and keep them in the game. He has not pitched since September 30th, and with him I do not know if the extra rest will help him or hurt him. Also, from my years of watching Vicente Padilla here in Philadelphia, I know how much of a basket case he is, so if we can rattle him early it might be an early exit. But if he gets into a rhythm he can be lights out. Hopefully the bad Vinny shows up today :).

[expletive]

When the [expletive] did the Phillies infielders forget how to play defense, particularly Chase Utley. He has been absolutely brutal in the field this series. I said earlier today that I was okay with a split in LA, but we had this game and handed it to them on a silver platter. That is not okay.

Joe Blanton will start game 4, as I expected.

Also, this is only Jim Thome's second trip back to Philly since he was traded after the 2005 season. He was a big time fan favorite here, so it will be interesting to see what kind of reception he gets should he come up to bat in the 8th or 9th with the game on the line haha.

Huge game tonight. Wolf vs Blanton/Happ. 9-8 final?

Blanton is pitching. And what makes you think that? Because Wolf had a rare rough game against St. Louis and because Blanton's most recent start was pretty much his only poor one post-all star break?

Anywho, should be a good one tonight.

Edited by Phightins09

Blanton is pitching. And what makes you think that? Because Wolf had a rare rough game against St. Louis and because Blanton's most recent start was pretty much his only poor one post-all star break?

Anywho, should be a good one tonight.

Because Wolf has a career postseason ERA of 4.70 and Blanton's is 4.91.

The Phillies offense has been absolutely shut down by Wolf. Probably shouldn't even have the 2 runs they had. Howard wound up in a 3-1 count that should have been 2-2 (the 2-1 pitch was called a ball and it had a ton of the plate). No way does Howard get that fastball if it's 2-2.

Anywho, still within striking distance, although that Blake RBI hurt. Blanton didn't make the worst pitch and Blake got it off the end of the bat.