Police: New York man beaten for being gay

ChosenOne

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A man brutally beaten in New York City was targeted because he is openly gay, the New York Police Department said Monday.

Two men shouting "anti-gay remarks" viciously beat Jack Price, 49, as he left a 24-hour deli on College Point Boulevard in Queens early Friday morning, police said. No further details where available about the attack.

Price is being treated at New York Hospital Medical Center of Queens, where "he is in fair condition and his vital signs are stable," said hospital spokeswoman Camela Morrissey.

Police arrested Daniel Aleman, 26, and charged him with assault and aggravated assault as a hate crime.

"When someone is attacked for being who they are, and for being proud of who they are, there is no other explanation for that attack than hatred and bigotry," said New York City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, the first openly gay speaker of the city council.

CNN.com

I read about this earlier (CNN is one of the sites I go to at work) and I thought it was f**ked up. I have family that is gay (which is why I don't use the word gay to mean something is stupid or lame anymore) and I would be pissed off if any of my family was brutally beaten for being gay.

Hope the guy gets what's coming to him and I hope they find the second guy quickly.