Recent Activity

Real Deal

• Owner

Is there a way to make it so the members can see the # of posts we have today? I've seen it before on the bottom of some sites below total posts and what not.

There's no modification for the new board version just yet (Wali asked about this already), but I'll add it when it comes out.

• Owner

480 posts today, guys...our most since November 9th. I'm really, really impressed. You guys were all asked to step up, and most of you are doing it, in a big way...and it's not just one or two of you posting 40 times a day, it's a team effort. :dribble:

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I appreciate all of the hard work.

For that, here's what's in store for OTR:

http://www.otrbasketball.com/hawks/roster.php

Don't worry, I'll be adjusting the page, making the table smaller and adding more to the page...but you'll have full schedules, roster pages, team sites (hopefully completed the way I'd like them to be), history pages (already completed, just haven't added them yet), and 435+ player profiles, all with stats and information.

Plus, a couple of things for the forums I can't discuss yet.

The hard work doesn't go unnoticed. :)

• Owner

I love seeing all the recent Lakers fans joining. Makes me feel right at home. :wacko:

Glad you love being here with 90% of the board (which is actually only 25%).

If you don't like it here, why are you still here? Nobody is forcing you to log in, Paul.

Ok Ok. I shouldn't have been so sarcastic.

Rephrase: There definitely seems to be a jump in activity due to the recent registrations of Laker fans. It definitely feels like the Laker community on OTR is growing by the day. I don't like this feeling too much because I really think the board should be evened out a bit more. But I do have some friends here so that keeps me from hanging around. No one forces me to long in as well.

Edited by N4S

• Owner

Our most recent Laker fan is already posting more than most here. This is just another example of what is wrong with this site. If you don't like the fact that only 25% of this board is of the Lakers fanbase, then go do something about it. Recruit members that will actually post.

When you bitch about the fanbase, it's going to turn people away from the forums. It's a no-brainer. Either you guys want this place to succeed, or you want to be the one to complicate things, simple as that.

So either do something about it, or don't post your thoughts on the matter. I don't care to read how much it pains you to discuss basketball with about 30 of our 110+ active members being Laker fans, especially when I hear it all the time, and especially when this board is still up because of 2-3 Lakers fans to begin with (among other non-Laker fans posting and not whining).

This topic concerns our activity, nothing more. We are DONE talking about anything else. There's a "new topic" button for that, and it belongs in the Site Suggestions forum. If you want to discuss just how many active Laker fans are on OTR, how much they contribute in other team forums, and what they mean to this place compared to you, then we can go that route...just not a good idea for you, but it's definitely not happening in this topic.

Mods, delete all posts that concern anything but the activity, and if there's a consecutive post by the same person, give them 10 days.

• Owner

I love that team page. Can't wait for them to be completed. Lets keep it up guys.

Thanks. :) It shouldn't be long, actually. Once I get the "template" finished (the Hawks page, haha), then I can roll through the rest of them pretty quickly.

And that also helps with the schedule pages, because they will be in a similar format.

Our most recent Laker fan is already posting more than most here. This is just another example of what is wrong with this site. If you don't like the fact that only 25% of this board is of the Lakers fanbase, then go do something about it. Recruit members that will actually post.

When you [expletive] about the fanbase, it's going to turn people away from the forums. It's a no-brainer. Either you guys want this place to succeed, or you want to be the one to complicate things, simple as that.

So either do something about it, or don't post your thoughts on the matter. I don't care to read how much it pains you to discuss basketball with about 30 of our 110+ active members being Laker fans, especially when I hear it all the time, and especially when this board is still up because of 2-3 Lakers fans to begin with (among other non-Laker fans posting and not whining).

This topic concerns our activity, nothing more. We are DONE talking about anything else. There's a "new topic" button for that, and it belongs in the Site Suggestions forum. If you want to discuss just how many active Laker fans are on OTR, how much they contribute in other team forums, and what they mean to this place compared to you, then we can go that route...just not a good idea for you, but it's definitely not happening in this topic.

Mods, delete all posts that concern anything but the activity, and if there's a consecutive post by the same person, give them 10 days.

Damn, I wasn't trying to argue that lol. I don't think anyone was. And I've recruited multiple members here in the past, and a few still post here occasionally. It's not easy to find people who are willing to be as active as the core group we have here. Activity really isn't a problem for the site, we get a ton of members visiting the site everyday, regardless if there are 200 posts in one day or 600. People are still going to check up on the site. We only need to start worrying when posts per day start dropping below something around 100.

Thanks. :) It shouldn't be long, actually. Once I get the "template" finished (the Hawks page, haha), then I can roll through the rest of them pretty quickly.

And that also helps with the schedule pages, because they will be in a similar format.

Any update on those promotional sigs you said you were going to make?

I think all he's saying is that it would be nice to have more fans of all teams on this board, and that he feels outnumbered when fanship is much higher in a certain fanbase over all others.

I'm not against Lakers fans for this, and I don't think Gil is either. It's actually good to see the activity brought from them. Just imagine how much more other fans would enjoy this site if there were 30 active members in EVERY team forum.

Nobody is to blame for the lopsided fanbase. Maybe we can find a way to collectively increase the activity and number of members for all the team forums.

• Owner

Damn, I wasn't trying to argue that lol. I don't think anyone was. And I've recruited multiple members here in the past, and a few still post here occasionally. It's not easy to find people who are willing to be as active as the core group we have here. Activity really isn't a problem for the site, we get a ton of members visiting the site everyday, regardless if there are 200 posts in one day or 600. People are still going to check up on the site. We only need to start worrying when posts per day start dropping below something around 100.

Then there was really no point to reply to the ridiculous statement in the first place. RealGM has a ton of Lakers and Raptors fans. InsideHoops has a ton of Lakers and Raptors fans. Those are the two biggest basketball message boards on the internet. SportsTwo has a ton of Lakers and Blazers fans. I'm starting to see a pattern there.

The funniest part of all of this is that I could get rid of every bit of information in the left pane of posts (team rep, avatars, location, favorite players) and there would be zero complaining about the number of Lakers fans here. It doesn't show in the actual post...but to the left of them, and that's not my problem if some members (not necessarily saying you unless you're putting yourself in the pool) just can't handle that small logo to the left.

• Owner

Any update on those promotional sigs you said you were going to make?

They are in the same boat as everything else, haha. Just going to be finished when they are finished. I'm trying to do 3-4 things at once, every day, until it's all done...so it's a work in progress with all things incorporated, almost like a project.

Then there was really no point to reply to the ridiculous statement in the first place. RealGM has a ton of Lakers and Raptors fans. InsideHoops has a ton of Lakers and Raptors fans. Those are the two biggest basketball message boards on the internet. SportsTwo has a ton of Lakers and Blazers fans. I'm starting to see a pattern there.

The funniest part of all of this is that I could get rid of every bit of information in the left pane of posts (team rep, avatars, location, favorite players) and there would be zero complaining about the number of Lakers fans here. It doesn't show in the actual post...but to the left of them, and that's not my problem if some members (not necessarily saying you unless you're putting yourself in the pool) just can't handle that small logo to the left.

I don't have a problem with the number of Laker fans here personally, but based on what I can see, I think some people do. It is nothing horrible, I just think people would enjoy it here if there was more activity in their own fan bases. I think the lopsidedness regarding the number of fans for each team is most noticed in the gameday threads, when some people feel like it is one against all when rooting for their team or debating what one team did right or wrong.

Also, we aren't RealGM or SportsTwo, nor are we trying to be like them. If we had more active members amongst each team, that would make the site even better and more enjoyable than those sites.

I do agree that in the majority of posts, the team rep doesn't really show or affect the message given by the post. However, in the gameday threads, this does play a factor. Having more members for each team doesn't hurt, but it is an extremely difficult task to find people willing to stay active or leave their current forum to post more here.

I don't get why people are complaining about the amount of Laker fans here. A lot of these fans, such as Warren, Jenflow, Brandon and myself, post in every team forum. I hardly post in the Laker forum myself, and even on the podcast I've discussed my team a grand total of one time.

If you want more fans of your team, then bring them in! Encourage them to post and stay active on the board.

But that's enough of that, back to our activity.

We've been getting more active over the past week or so, and it's very exciting to see. I'm starting to see less off-topic posts and more NBA ones, which is great. Keep up the good work guys.

Brandon showing why he's the best owner on the net, the roster pages look amazing. Wow.

Am I missing something? Where are they at? I wanna see.

I click roster but it hyperlinks to the NBA.com roster pages.

They are in the same boat as everything else, haha. Just going to be finished when they are finished. I'm trying to do 3-4 things at once, every day, until it's all done...so it's a work in progress with all things incorporated, almost like a project.

Alright, sounds good man. Thanks for the info.

• Owner

508 posts today, guys...and post count total resets to the next day at 12:00 AM EST. That means only a page and a half of the Lakers/Heat topic counted towards that 500. :)

Great job once again. Things are only getting better. :)