Enough is enough

GamerGuy

Here at OTR, we are always actively searching for and welcoming new members. Doesn't matter the fan base, if you come here to talk basketball we want you. Some people here have been making remarks to some of our new members regarding what team they rep. I'm making this topic to tell those people to stop.

The Lakers have a large fan base, being one of the most popular teams in the league as well as being the world champions. A lot of people are going to follow them. I am sick and tired of seeing new members being run off because members of some fan bases are jealous of the fact that there are more people who rep the Lakers instead of their team. Like they somehow feel threatened by that.

From now on, there will be no more remarks like that about a poster's fan base when they join this site. No more "Oh great, another Lakers fan" or "I'm starting to feel outnumbered". It stops, right here and now. If you have a problem with that, you can leave. No one is forcing you to stay here, and while I hope you don't, I will not tolerate this any longer. Members are to welcome new posters with open arms, regardless of what team they represent.

This goes for ALL teams, not just the Lakers. A member will not be harassed or persecuted because of what team they follow. Everyone has a right to dislike a team, but by no means does that allow anyone to blast someone else just because of the team they follow.

Failure to comply to this will result in suspensions, and maybe even a permanent ban. It stops here.

The problem isn't that there are just so many Lakers fans, but the lack of fans for all of the other teams.

We're all hopeful of having new members join and add more activity for our own team. When a new member joins, we kind of get this "aww...man" feeling when it isn't the same as yours, especially when it's a new member for a fanbase that isn't exactly in need of any more members comparing to the rest of the team forums.

Nobody has anything against Lakers fans. It's just that this forum is so lopsided. It feels like there is 30 or more active Lakers fans, comparing to the 2 or less active fans in all the other team forums. Comparing to my Heat, Flash and I is it. There are a few others who stop by every now and then, but we'd love to see some more real activity for our own team, as well as everyone else.

• Like 1

I can understand that sentiment, but how do you think it makes the new members feel? It's not exactly encouraging words to hear when you just join a new forum.

I can't stress enough that if you want members of your own fan base to post here, then you've got to bring them in. If the Laker fans can do it, so can you. :)

• Like 1

I agree with Poe. I'm the only Bucks fan here so I find myself talking to myself quite a bit on here. To be honest, OTR seems like TLN with a different name and skin. 90% of the active members belong to that specific fan base so there's always going to be biased discussions (and it seems any dislike towards that specific team can get you ban threats).

I'd just like to see fans from other teams come as well, they don't even have to be Bucks fans. Just fans for the smaller market teams with a different perspective on the game and teams.

OTR is fine, you all just need to stop whining about the lack of fans. If you seriously have a problem with it, do something about it. This is all I have been hearing the last 2 years on this site. The quality of discussion here is great, and that ultimately is the only reason why I come here. I honestly have not once cared about the lack of Wizards fans here, with Gyula basically gone, the only other DC fan is Gil-Zero.

You guys need to stop whining. If you have a problem, do something about it.

OTR is fine, you all just need to stop whining about the lack of fans. If you seriously have a problem with it, do something about it. This is all I have been hearing the last 2 years on this site. The quality of discussion here is great, and that ultimately is the only reason why I come here. I honestly have not once cared about the lack of Wizards fans here, with Gyula basically gone, the only other DC fan is Gil-Zero.

You guys need to stop whining. If you have a problem, do something about it.

I obviously don't have that big of a problem with it otherwise I wouldn't be posting here on a daily basis. ;)

I can't stress enough that if you want members of your own fan base to post here, then you've got to bring them in. If the Laker fans can do it, so can you. :)

Sure thing. I'll be happy to, if only I knew where to go find them. The Heat.com forums is the only place I know of, but they don't exactly have the right breed of members I would want to bring over here.

Maybe I'll try and use google to find a good place, idk.

Also, if there was some sort of official otr sig of some sort that I could use, that would be great.

I obviously don't have that big of a problem with it otherwise I wouldn't be posting here on a daily basis. ;)

Same. I don't exactly have that big of a problem with it, either. It would still make a nice improvement, though, to have more balanced activity in mostly all of the forums, like if we can get this placing rolling with 30+ members on each fanbase while maintaining good discussion. That would be sick.

88 members were active today, 18 of them Laker fans. That's just 20% of the entire forum, and given how popular the Lakers are, I'd say that's a fair number. We are hardly TLN with a different skin. We do not have 90% Laker fans. Some of you need to realize just how diverse this site really is, and that whenever a new Laker fan joins it's not the end of the world.

.50. - Cavs, Hawks

andreusito - Suns

AtTheDriveIn - Magic

BasX - Raptors

bigdog17k - Magic

BlueDevil - Raptors

Brand New - Lakers

bravenewworld - Heat

Built Ford Tough - Raptors

CaliCurbStomppa - Nuggets

California Dreamin' - Lakers

Celtics3420 - Celtics

ChosenOne - Rockets

Cleveland's Finest - Cavaliers

CobbFC09 - Hawks

Confidence - Lakers

Dabearfan101 - Bulls

Dash - Rockets

deestillballin - Mavericks

Doc - Raptors

Dr. Feelgood - Blazers

Drizzy - Bulls

Durant35 - Thunder

Eastcoast Assassin - Wizards

EastCoastNiner - Celtics

Epidemik - Mavericks

Erick Blasco - Unknown

Keeylay - Kings

Fish7718 - Knicks

Flash - Heat

fly3rs18 - 76ers

Force - Lakers

Game505 - Lakers

GamerGuy - Lakers

Gil-Zero - Wizards

Gooner - Bulls

GURU™ - Nets

His Greatness - 76ers

HotSauce81 - Unknown

HOV - Heat

iBoldin - Hornets

Jonah - Knicks

JYD - Knicks

kadillak - Unknown

kingfish - Lakers

Kobe24 - Lakers

La Bomba - Grizzlies

Lakerzboy - Lakers

Laker Girl - Lakers

Legacy - Warriors

Lkr - Lakers

LocalGunfighter - Suns

Makaveli - Lakers

Massacre - Lakers

mav4life - Mavericks

Michael Jordan - Bulls

MilwaukeeBucks - Bucks

MoeRoadKill - Thunder

NeTs15VC - Nets

OG_Kush - Unknown

OldChili - Nets, Magic

OSUBucksfan09 - Mavericks

papertrail - Bobcats

Phightins - 76ers

Poe - Heat

Prodigy - Suns

Ramiel - Celtics

Real Deal - Lakers

Riot - Magic

s.t.a.t. - Timberwolves

Showtime3000 - Lakers

Sky - Lakers

Smitty - 76ers

Sportsguy9695 -Nets

Swish - Magic

The Next Knick - Knicks

The Situation - 76ers

TheDefinition - Unknown

TheHutch - Cavaliers

travesy3 - Raptors

trutrojan8 - Nuggets

Waldo - Nets

Warren2ThaG - Lakers

Willie Green - Lakers, 76ers

X-Phylez - Celtics

Zero - Rockets

Ya Dig! - Hornets

Zolor23 - Unknown

Lol at people leaving because of someone saying 'another Lakers fan'. I'll be sure to avoid the Lakers forum from this point on though because I could definitely pop off at the mouth with some of those Laker-fans stereotypes at times, not looking to get banned. Basically this suggests that anyone who wants to point out the obvious discrepancy between Laker and non-Laker fans can gtfo thus furthering the gap between the two types of fans lol.

To the post above, I don't know for sure but not only are more Laker fans coming on, but they are definitely the most active. This is evidenced by the over twice as many replies there and the number of replies that rivals the entire forum 'General NBA Discussion' Anyways, like the people have said above I don't think anyone sincerely wants the Laker fans to leave, it is just kind of annoying when so many topics tend to eventually leads to a Laker or Kobe argument or debate.

Anyways it is obvious people feel strongly about this, so it is whatever I suppose.

Where is this "If I mouth off to Lakers fans I'll get banned" nonsense coming from? I made it crystal clear that anyone who makes those kinds of comments to ANY team would get in trouble. I don't want to see anyone feel threatened when they join because some people will make comments. I used an obvious example of this, new Laker fans, to make my point.

My original point was I don't want to see people make those comments towards new members. It doesn't make them feel welcome, plain and simple. I wouldn't feel welcome if I joined a forum and someone was already prejudice against me just because of my favorite team.

He actually doesn't have a team rep, but I notice him posting quite a bit in those forums. I probably shouldn't have jumped to conclusions, but yea. ;)

I was just shocked to see the Raptors there. The Raptors are the type of team that Erick would hate, I would imagine. From reading his posts he definitely seems to like (at least the conclusion I have jumped to, haha) the tough, hard nosed, physical, grind it out, defensive type of teams, if you know what I mean, and the Raptors fit, well, none of those criteria, haha.

No biggie or anything, it just caught me off guard seeing the Raptors beside his name, lol.

Honestly, I could care less.....for the 2 years I've been here I really haven't noticed or let it get to me. As long as there are people to discuss basketball with, then it's all good.

Could not agree with you anymore.

Only have me and Dash as active Rocket fans and does not bother me yeah i would love to have more Rocket fans (slaven :() but I am not here to talk about all Rockets I am hear to discuss Basketball talk and some other off toipc things getting more laker fans does not bother me.

I've tried recruiting many times in the past, and some Wizards fans stayed for a short bit, but left because "there were too many Lakers fans" as they claimed. I think that is a pointless reason not to stay in my opinion, but I'm going to state my opinion on how they might feel.

I think it's tough to join a community that is so dominated by one team and stay active at this point in OTR's existence. Most of us active members joined in late June when the board was revived so it was easy for us to jump into the community and fit right in. Now members join this late who aren't repping the Lakers feel a sense of intimidation, and feel like it will be difficult to have a sense of individuality on the board.

Recruiting for smaller fanbased isn't as easy as it sounds. I brought in 12 separate members within about 5 days, and only 3 of them stayed active for over a week. I haven't heard from any of them ever since (only one was a Laker fan by the way).

So, I guess my point is, recruiting for lower fanbased teams such as the Wizards seem pointless at this point, because after multiple trial and errors, none of them seem to stay.

Honestly, I could care less.....for the 2 years I've been here I really haven't noticed or let it get to me. As long as there are people to discuss basketball with, then it's all good.

One of the few times I agree with you.