NHL Winter Classic

Phightins

I know I am talking to myself since me, fly3rs and ECN are probably the only 3 on OTR who care about this, but that's fine I am stoked so I will continue to talk.

Michael Leighton in net for the Flyers tomorrow, I'd assume Tim Thomas for Boston.

I personally think the idea of hockey in places like Wrigley and Fenway is about as cool as it gets. For all the gimmicks the NHL has done to try to bring in new fans, this is the only one that is legitimately awesome.

Eh, at least it's only one regular season game and the Flyers still get a point, but there were some awful calls (and non-calls) that contributed to the Bruins winning that game. Also as cool as that was I am glad they only do this once a year. That ice looked like it was very difficult to play on, and everybody says that the ice was way better than it usually is for outdoor games. Oh well.

Edited by Phightins

I thought the Carcillo "hook" on Recchi was incredibly weak as well. Not to mention that the Bruins had 5 men on the ice when the game winner was scored.

Edited by Phightins

Eh, at least it's only one regular season game and the Flyers still get a point, but there were some awful calls (and non-calls) that contributed to the Bruins winning that game. Also as cool as that was I am glad they only do this once a year. That ice looked like it was very difficult to play on, and everybody says that the ice was way better than it usually is for outdoor games. Oh well.

So, what about Ian Lappiere's slashes that weren't called, and somehow that ended up as a matching penalty, and Scott Hartnell's multiple goalie interference non-calls?

Tom Thomas won that game.

Also, according to Cam Neely and some players, the ice at Fenway Park would have been one of the best ice surfaces in any NHL arena.

The NHL could not have asked for three better games than the last three "Winter Classics".

Edited by EastCoastNiner

So, what about Ian Lappiere's slashes that weren't called, and somehow that ended up as a matching penalty, and Scott Hartnell's multiple goalie interference non-calls?

Tom Thomas won that game.

Also, according to Cam Neely and some players, the ice at Fenway Park would have been one of the best ice surfaces in any NHL arena.

Both teams got away with a lot, the refs were letting them play which I enjoyed. That is why I take issue with the chicken-[expletive] Carcillo hooking call and the Timonen trip. Both would be incredibly weak under any circumstances, much less the circumstances the refs laid out which basically allowed the players to get away with anything. And then to miss a too many men call which led to the game winning goal was just inexcusable on the officials part. The Flyers players all seemed pretty upset about it but they were also in pretty good spirits considering how cool the event was. I have a feeling this would be a bigger issue if this were any other game.

Also, I know everybody was saying how good the ice was but you could tell a lot of the players were uncomfortable. There was a lot of sloppy passing and it turned into a somewhat sloppy game, but overall I thought it was pretty entertaining. Just wish it could have ended under better circumstances.

Edited by Phightins

I heard the jerseys the Flyers wore today will be their permanent road jerseys next year, and they are getting rid of the current road jerseys and the black altogether. Not sure what I think of that. I have always been a fan of the black ones (lol that sounded wrong).

despite the outcome it was a great game. you could tell how pumped the players were just by how intense the first period was. there was more hitting in the first 10 minutes then ive seen in the first 10 minutes of any hockey game.

i dont want to go into the penalty calls too much, but the first penalty to tie the game was so obvious that they just wanted the bruins to tie it. they let many things go for both teams all game long and it was great, but you cant just start calling things at the end

but you couldnt have asked for a better winter classic

I really thought today's game was very entertaining. The NHL probably sides with you since they think the only way to lure fans is to have 6-5 games and to bring in gimmicks such as the shoot out. But for me personally I thought today was a lot of fun to watch (well besides the end result of course).