Michael Jordan Is Over-Rated

EastCoastNiner

• Owner

I don't need to prove anything..this is a silly debate. There's absolutely 0 chance Michael Jordan gets swept by this Dallas team. Absolutely 0 chance. That's not taking anything away from Kobe, that's just how good MJ was.

And fine, MJ lost in 3 to Boston in his first couple years. No biggie.

And no, Horace Grant does not > Pau Gasol as a player. Sorry.

And fine, Rodman > both Gasol and Bynum but Bynum and Gasol is one of the best front lines in the NBA.

Don't see any possible excuse that could be made but I'm sure we'll find some.

Uh, actually, if you're talking about this current Lakers team, against Dallas, and any Jordan teams against the Mavs...Horace Grant is twice the player Gasol was in this series.

That's probably where you've screwed up your side of the argument. Outside of Kobe and Drew, the Lakers didn't do a damn thing against Dallas, and none of that rests on those two players, and none of it would rest on Jordan, either.

I'm not debating who is the better player. I'm telling you that you're wrong in your assessments. Jordan didn't have a 2009 Gasol to throw the ball to, but he's thankful he didn't have a 2011 Gasol, specifically the one that logged 13/8 on 42% FG in this playoff run, and was arguably the fourth best player on our team.

The whole point he's making Flash... Is that now that the Lakers lost, they suddenly have a shitty team, but in the regular season when they were winning games, Laker fans believed it was the best team in the NBA. Plain and simple.

The whole point he's making Flash... Is that now that the Lakers lost, they suddenly have a shitty team, but in the regular season when they were winning games, Laker fans believed it was the best team in the NBA. Plain and simple.

sounds like what the LeBron defense force has done the past two years

he had a great surrounding cast in the regular season though!!!!1

That cast sure did well this year right? C'mon, everyone knew that team wasn't built for the playoffs.

• Owner

Would you like for me to point out how many times I've stated that the Lakers were in trouble on a Lakers message board? Back in November, December?

It would make you look even more less intelligent than you do now.

I already provided proof where I stated the Heat were legit contenders (in the Kobe blame topic earlier), when many other Laker fans were doubting it. I'm not a dumbass fool like a lot of homers that support the Lakers and Heat.

If you don't know what I've said in the past, don't act as if you've been around to know. Ironically, you registered when LeBron joined the Heat.

Hahaha that always comes up somehow in conversations. I honestly don't think it matters. I've been a Heat fan since like 05 I believe? Right around there. Just because I joined this site at perhaps the wrong time doesn't mean anything. Poe showed me the site, and I joined. So dont give me grief about that. I've stated this many times in previous posts if you would like to look, and Poe has backed me on that. As for me not being intelligent. You are making no sense whatsoever. How does me stating a simple fact about most Laker fans make me not inteligent? Because that's most of what I've seen on this sure and others as well. LOL! Not to be rude, but seriously man you gotta chill. And you brought up the Heat for absolutely no reason, I love how people just randomly bring up the Heat as "proof" or something. Smh.. Smh.

Hahaha that always comes up somehow in conversations. I honestly don't think it matters. I've been a Heat fan since like 05 I believe? Right around there. Just because I joined this site at perhaps the wrong time doesn't mean anything. Poe showed me the site, and I joined. So dont give me grief about that. I've stated this many times in previous posts if you would like to look, and Poe has backed me on that. As for me not being intelligent. You are making no sense whatsoever. How does me stating a simple fact about most Laker fans make me not inteligent? Because that's most of what I've seen on this sure and others as well. LOL! Not to be rude, but seriously man you gotta chill. And you brought up the Heat for absolutely no reason, I love how people just randomly bring up the Heat as "proof" or something. Smh.. Smh.

Lol, when in doubt during an argument..just bring up LeBron, Dwyane Wade in a wheel chair or the Heat in general.

• Owner

As for me not being intelligent. You are making no sense whatsoever. How does me stating a simple fact about most Laker fans make me not inteligent?

You were referring to me when you said it, not "most Laker fans." You said, "The point he's trying to make..."

So, yeah, get off my nuts. Like I said, I have stated time and time again that the Lakers would struggle, and that they never took advantage of the easy schedule they had in the first half of the season, that Gasol was struggling, that Ron wasn't the same. If you want to sit and assume something else, do it with someone else, or I"m just going to make you look stupid.

And you brought up the Heat for absolutely no reason, I love how people just randomly bring up the Heat as "proof" or something. Smh.. Smh.

Lol, when in doubt during an argument..just bring up LeBron, Dwyane Wade in a wheel chair or the Heat in general.

Actually, pricks, I wasn't the one that brought the Heat into the debate since the topic was bumped.

Also, to make you guys look like total jackasses, as you both usually are when anyone says anything negative about the Heat...I didn't say a negative thing about them. I was praising them. Of course, you look to your left, see the Lakers logo in my rep, look to the right and see the word "Heat" in my post, and automatically think I'm being a troll, much like you two.

Real talk? Your acts are getting annoying, especially from someone that shows up only when a poster has something to say about the Heat.

I'm never in doubt, in any argument. I don't dive into a topic spitting nonsense, throwing out false information about sweeps players have/have not been involved in, or returning after a long layoff and saying absolutely nothing in a trolling, irrelevant post.

I don't ask anyone to agree with me, but don't be a troll, or you'll end up like that one Shaq fan that used to post here, and the other guy that had old food in his display name. I'm sure you'll enjoy posting with them, Abro...you'd probably fit in pretty well.

Yep.. Just ban someone who disagrees with you. That's real mature. And what exactly is trolling anyway?? I have an idea what it is, but I don't believe I am doing it.

Edited by Abro

• Owner

Yep.. Just ban someone who disagrees with you. That's real mature. And what exactly is trolling anyway?? I have an idea what it is, but I don't believe I am doing it.

Nitro (if you even know who that is) and I have disagreed with each other quite a bit, over and over again, more than you have posted. Same with Blasco and I. BFT and I have gone back and forth. You know what the difference is between those three posters, and you? You don't debate. You have nothing on the table when you make your posts. Read your first reply in this topic.

All three of those guys, the three I've had the most disagreements with, are still here. I've never, ever told them I'd suspend them.

Would you like more examples? Do you even know who Jammin is? He hated the Lakers more than you, and we had our heated debates, and eventually, I made him a moderator and, at one point, an admin.

Again, you're looking foolish.

I acctually know who all those are. Nitro doesn't post very much, but I do really like what he says. Same with built ford tough and (eric?) blasco. And you absolutely know for a fact that I never debate things? That its my way or the highway with no suitable evidence? I think this is the only thing I've done like this. And even this doesn't give you a good reason to ban me imo. Sorry for reading to much into what you or... Other posts from other people have said? Haha. I don't see how I can provide evidence for that.

• 1 month later...

Michael is really overrated though. The media treat him like he's untouchable. He was great, but he was the media's creation, everyone licks his _____. He's not my GOAT, but he's better then Kobe.

• Like 1

Michael is really overrated though. The media treat him like he's untouchable. He was great, but he was the media's creation, everyone licks his _____. He's not my GOAT, but he's better then Kobe.

LOLK

Wow, can't believe I missed this thread before...some ridiculously retarded logic going on here. I really don't know where to start. Some of my post will have to do with the MJ-Kobe debate since that's all ECN keeps bringing up.

-MJ didn't make his teammates better offensively? The Bulls went from being the 2nd ranked offense in 92-93 to the 14th ranked offense in 93-94, including a decline in team FG% and 3pt%. Most of the Bulls team in MJ's last season before retirement had a down year in terms of shooting percentages, but the previous few seasons Pippen and Grant had much higher FG% than any season without MJ, and guys like Armstrong did take a hit without MJ. In the 93-94 post-season, Pippen, Grant, Armstrong, Paxson, Cartwright, and Williams, all of the main players from the 93 championship team, had a decline in shooting percentage from the previous post-season with MJ. The Bulls barely made the top 10 in offense the season MJ came back for 20-30 games, and the next time MJ had a full season with the team they shot to the best offense in the NBA. FYI, the Lakers have NEVER finished as the top ranked offense in the league since Kobe came into the league. Oh, and what often goes overlooked about that 94-95 team was they were only .500 and barely in the playoff hunt before MJ came, and then they ended the season on a 17-3 (I believe) run, even with MJ very rusty and out of the game for a year and a half.

-He got carried to the championship by Horace [expletive]ing Grant and Dennis Rodman? You have got to be kidding me. Neither Grant or Rodman ever made an All-Star team, or All-NBA team during any of MJ's championships. Rodman was an all-star twice in his career (late '80's/early '90's with the Pistons) and Grant made 1 in his career (93-94). Both played vital roles in those championship teams, but MJ was far and away the best and most important player. If you are going to say MJ was carried to his titles by those players, then what the hell do you call what Shaq and Gasol did for Kobe? Shaq won an MVP with Kobe on his team, won all 3 Finals MVP's, had the better regular and post-season numbers, and had higher recognition at the time and in retrospect. Gasol was an all-star who led the Grizzlies to multiple 50-win seasons, and you can make an arguement he should have won the 2010 Finals MVP (though I'd disagree).

-Almost every stat, either basic or advanced, shows MJ was better than Kobe. Single-season and career PPG, single-season and career APG, single-season and career RPG, single-season and career FG%, single-season and career SPG, single-season and career BPG, single-season and career TOV%, single-season and career PER, single-season and career WS, single-season and career WS/48, single-season and career TS%, single-season and career TRB%, single-season and career AST%, single and career post-season PPG, single and career post-season PPG, single and career post-season APG, single and career post-season RPG, single and career post-season SPG, single and career post-season BPG, single and career post-season FG%, single and career post-season PER, single and career post-season TS%, single and career post-season PER.....the list goes on and on.

-While playing one less season than Kobe, MJ has one more championship, 4 more Finals MVP's, 4 more regular-season MVP's, one more DPOY, one more All-Star appearance, one more All-NBA 1st team, 8 more scoring titles, same amount of All-Defensive 1st teams, and 1 more ROTY. In other words, he'll never reach MJ in terms of accolades.

-MJ got All-Defensive teams he didn't deserve. Maybe, maybe not, but I can tell you first hand Kobe has not deserved the majority of his in the last 5-6 years either. For him to be ahead of guys like Tony Allen, Wade, Sefolosha, and Bogans at the G positions is ridiculous. From 05-07 he was lazy as hell defensively and consistently got burned, but got his 1st team selections off reputation, just like you are saying MJ did. And I can tell you when MJ was locked in, he was a better one-on-one defender than Kobe ever was, and he made more of an impact in the passing lanes (led the league in steals 3x) and with weakside blocks as well.

Those are just the facts I presented. I can give you an actual analysis of MJ and Kobe, their actual games, if you prefer. But, I think when it comes to MJ's greatness and overall what he's done in his career, it clearly outshines what Kobe has done...that is something that CANNOT be argued. The only arguement you can make for Kobe is over hypothetically what they are capable of as players, but there is no question MJ dominated the league and acquired the kind of stats and accolades that Kobe never will.

• Like 4

Oh, and I also find it hilarious you say this...

Also, the Orlando Magic beat a Boston Celtics team with two HOFER's playing this season, but that doesn't mean they are a great team.

...then go on to say this...

You're right, Kobe is playing with multiple All-Stars..........Jordan was playing with multiple Hall of Famers.

Seems like a contradiction. You admit that having 2 HoF players on the team doesn't necessarily make you a great team and that a team like that can be beat with a stronger collection of player, yet in the next quote you completely dismiss that fact.

Edited by Nitro
  • Like 2

I still am baffled by this 'debate.' I really don't see it as a debate. Any logical basketball fan that got to see Jordan play knows he's the best, is not overrated, and Kobe is very distant to being on his level in terms of greatness.

Kobe is an all-time great, arguably a top 5 all time player, but better than Jordan? Lol ya'll are wilin

What's so funny? Are you implying Jordan got as much exposure as Russell in the 60's then you're wrong.

Jordan got more exposure cause he was sexier, I thought everyone knew that? /thread

http://www.mwza.com/pics/Bill-Russell.jpg

vs

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/2/23286/1042077-michael_jordan_large.jpg

Yeah, I'd eat that gum right out of jordans mouth,

Edited by Sweet Roses

What's so funny? Are you implying Jordan got as much exposure as Russell in the 60's then you're wrong.

so now the only way we judge players is how many rings they win? Lmfao. Nice try clown

• 3 weeks later...