[expletive] COLLEGE

JWaLL

I have literally never been more angry at anything in my entire life right now.

I just got an email today saying I've been placed on academic probation because my GPA was lower than a 2.0... WTF? My gpa was a 2.5, which isn't great because it was the first semester of my freshman year and I was being lazy, but that isn't academic probation. So obviously I called in the Office of Registration to see why I received this email.

Turns out... my Calculus class was both withdrawn AND included as a failing grade. Doesn't make sense? Well I looked at it, and I dropped the class in the middle of the semester due to the incompetence of the teacher and the entire class was failing except 4 students, so the class shouldn't have been included. HOWEVER, on my final glitched transcript which I just saw in the email, it was re-included in and it says F. Apparently my withdrawal never registered and it just counted as me skipping the class over and over and over and missing the final, which obviously would result in a failure.

"There is nothing we can do, I'm sorry."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Are the office people that incompetent where it is OBVIOUS that I registered for withdrawal, WHICH IT SAYS ON THE WEBSITE?

So now... I have to quit my campus job, my parents are furious because they think I'm making an excuse (go figure...), AND I can only register for 13 credit hours, so since I dropped my class last semester, I will finish my first year with only 25 credits when I need 30 to be on track. So now I have to take 5 credits over the summer which will basically removes the word "vacation" from "summer vacation."

[expletive] my life, and this one glitch in the system could cost me horribly in the future....

"There is nothing we can do, I'm sorry."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Are the office people that incompetent where it is OBVIOUS that I registered for withdrawal, WHICH IT SAYS ON THE WEBSITE?

I'm not in college but the high school front office does something similar sometimes. Is it really that hard to do your job and just click twice on the computer and get rid of the problem?

Edited by Dash

I'm not in college but the high school front office does something similar sometimes. Is it really that hard to do your job and just click twice on the computer and get rid of the problem?

Exactly. They said they aren't in position to adjust grades, and the Dean won't make an exception either...

This is so [expletive]ed up, no one deserves to have to deal with this. I could possibly sue the school because I was still charged for taking the class so they just stole $1,000 from me because they made a mistake...

Don't be lazy then. You wouldn't be complaining about the people in the office if you had done well in your classes.

Huh? The class shouldn't have been included at all. If it was left out like I planned, I wouldn't be worrying about it at all. They put the class back in my schedule and gave me an F instead of a withdrawal so my gpa dropped more than .5 points. You can't possibly see an opposing side to this.

Don't be lazy then. You wouldn't be complaining about the people in the office if you had done well in your classes.

Whether he was lazy or not is a different problem. This is the school making a mistake which will affect his future. This problem needs to be straightened out.

Huh? The class shouldn't have been included at all. If it was left out like I planned, I wouldn't be worrying about it at all. They put the class back in my schedule and gave me an F instead of a withdrawal so my gpa dropped more than .5 points. You can't possibly see an opposing side to this.

I know it's their fault but you wouldn't be as worried if you had done better in your classes.

Anyways, if what your saying is true then there has to be something they can do then.

I know it's their fault but you wouldn't be as worried if you had done better in your classes.

Anyways, if what your saying is true then there has to be something they can do then.

I'd be pissed off regardless. They added a class that I wasn't in and failed me for it. I electively withdrew the class so it shouldn't even exist on my transcript. They said they would refund my money because I withdrew before the deadline. Either way I'm losing $1,000.

thats pretty unfair, assuming you did everything right when dropping the class.

id try to keep fighting it. if your dean says that they cant do anything then see who is the dean in charge of him and go talk to them. camp outside of their office if you have to. that is a huge difference in your gpa and could really screw you over later on

I'd be pissed off regardless. They added a class that I wasn't in and failed me for it. I electively withdrew the class so it shouldn't even exist on my transcript. They said they would refund my money because I withdrew before the deadline. Either way I'm losing $1,000.

Of course you would be mad, but at least you wouldn't be but on academic probation or whatever.

Also, like I said, assuming you did everything on time then you should be fine. If the people in the office aren't helping you go talk to the principal or whatever.

Wow that's bs. You planning on taking legal action? You might need to if they keep saying nothing can be done, cause that's obviously a bunch of [expletive].

Yep, if I need to I'll sue. If they at least refund my money then I probably won't sue, but I doubt they'll do that.

Yep, if I need to I'll sue. If they at least refund my money then I probably won't sue, but I doubt they'll do that.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Especially if they charged you, jeez. I hope they are really this stupid and not just trying to scam. Cause that would be really disappointing for a college to do that.

Damn man thats tough, that puts a real blow on your GPA.

I'm having problems with my grades as of now as well. I was hoping not to get any C's, but I got a C and a C+. I e-mailed by Sociology teacher and knew something was wrong, it turned out one of my essays was not graded, only 9 out of 10 of them. So, I was like hey why not let me e-mail my other class where I got a C. I asked for all my grades from the semester calculated them and got a 82, so I'm like wow. I e-mailed my professor and my TA for one of my assignments (10 percent of my grade), showed me that he gave me an 80 there, however, when giving the grades to the professor he gave me a 11. Wow.. so awaiting for an e-mail in that situation. E-mail your TA's or professors and ask them for your grades, why you got that grade, why not go for it. I'm like .7 points away from one of my classes of getting a B+ pretty sure so I'm thinking whether or not to e-mail the professor and just saying hey man can I get a B+ please lol.

College is a lot harder than high school since my high school was a joke and I never did one homework assignment or anything at all. In college, I'm having the time of my life partying non stop but being smart and splitting time for my work and doing every assignment and did good, surprised myself since I'm lucky to even be at the school I am with the GPA I had in high school.

Dont take the summer classes and stress yourself unless you really want to, just take an extra 1 credit class, in your next 5 semesters to catch yourself up or why not and take an extra class.

Man that sucks, hope everything gets resolved.

It really isn't your fault. If you followed the procedures at your school for dropping the class, then it should not show up on your report card. Common sense. The only loophole I may see is that maybe you didn't notify your teacher or a counselor or something that you dropped the class, thus they kept the class on your records still. But if you followed all the directions than there is no way the class should be included on your report card, let alone hurting your GPA.

Keep fighting, I'm sure if you continue to complain enough they'll do something. It's not your fault somebody screwed up. At the very least you should not be charged 1000 bucks for a class you were never supposed to take.

Sucks, I hope the best for you :(

Edited by Artesticle

Man, I'd be pissed too. You really need to be aggressive with this though. They're probably thinking you're young and too inexperienced to know what you can do in these situations. Start threatening them legally and if that doesn't work, then physically. Show them you mean business. Bust some skulls.

Best of luck to you. :)

My academic supervisor has just told me that he's going to see if they can at least refund my money, but the grade most likely won't change.... unbelievable.

No... not good enough. I'd rather get the grade back than the money. You're going to be spending MORE money to fix the credit issue otherwise. Don't back down. Threaten to transfer colleges if all else fails (assuming you already tried physical force). :P

Solution: retake the class with a different teacher. Get an A. Bam.

Yup, I'm doing that. And my next teacher is supposedly really good according to ratemyprofessors.com. She's apparently an easy A teacher so I'm looking forward to that.