Philadelphia Phillies 2010

Phightins

Brian Schneider hits a walk-off homerun, Nelson Figueroa gets the win, Wilson Valdez hits a huge triple in the 8th inning. See a theme, Fish? :)

Brian Schneider hits a walk-off homerun, Nelson Figueroa gets the win, Wilson Valdez hits a huge triple in the 8th inning. See a theme, Fish? :)

Speaking of Brian Schneider, [expletive] him!

I think it is time to call Domonic Brown up. [expletive] the arbitration clock, [expletive] the unbalanced lineup, [expletive] everything. This team needs a spark, and he is precisely the guy to deliver it. He dominated AA so they called him up to AAA and he is dominating there too. .326/.391/.602 between AA and AAA this year (.364/.390/.636 in AAA). And that is not including tonight...he has 2 more hits. Not sure what else he needs to do to prove that he is ready. Obviously the log jam in the OF at the Major League level complicates things. It might be a pipe dream, but I would LOVE to see them trade Jayson Werth and 1-2 OK prospects for Dan Haren or Roy Oswalt. Obviously we'd need to get a 3rd team involved (Red Sox perhaps?) since neither Houston or Arizona would be interested in Werth. Then call up Brown, and to balance the lineup, play Ben Francisco in LF against left handed pitching instead of Ibanez (and let Francisco get a few starts for Brown in RF as well). 2 birds with one stone. Get it done, Rube.

Edited by Phightins

Also, Danys Baez is awful (no offense Flash, or whoever is the guy that's friends with him, I forget who). When Durbin came back today, I was really hoping Baez would be DFA'd, but Nelson Figueroa was instead (and he had been very good). Gotta love it when the GM refuses to own up to his mistakes. The Phillies are on the hook for another year with Baez, while Figueroa is basically making the minimum, so that's why the decision was made. Pretty disappointing.

Infuriating.

Lose by 1, give up all 4 runs with 2 outs, give up the go-ahead homerun with 2 outs and 2 strikes in the 8th inning on an infield pop up that somehow winds up on the street outside the stadium, walk the pitcher to give up a run, get a runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs and don't bring him in, not getting anything off the plate from the home plate ump for our pitcher while the opposing pitchers get at least 3 inches off the corners (I believe the Cubs recored 7 or 8 strikeouts looking). And the bottom line, 2 losses to a [expletive]ty team to start the 2nd half of the season. I'd rather lose by 10 like yesterday than lose like they did today. Domonic Brown time.

/rant.

Phillies Release Juan Castro

The Phillies have released infielder Juan Castro according to a team press release. The move clears a roster spot for Placido Polanco, who was reinstated from the disabled list.

Castro, 38, signed a one-year deal that guaranteed him $750K with Philadelphia this winter. The team is still on the hook for the $315K owed to him during the remainder of the year, plus the $50K buyout of his $750K option for next year. Castro hit just .198/.237/.238 in 136 plate appearances this season after being pressed into semi-regular duty because of injuries to Polanco, Chase Utley, and Jimmy Rollins.

Old news Cobb! Come on get with the times!

Anyway, pretty obvious that this was coming. Wilson Valdez has played himself onto the 25 man roster, even with Polanco back and when Utley eventually comes back. Castro offers next to nothing. Greg Dobbs is much improved and Cody Ransom provides some right-handed power off the bench, which had been missing.

Edited by Phightins

They made it to the Super Bowl.

This Phillies team is coming off back to back pennants and had higher expectations than ever this season. Better team "on paper" (as much as I hate that saying) than any Phillies team arguably in history. Total disappointment.